Hey y'all. Traded for a 2020 RST 6.2 yesterday and I really like it. One drawback - nothing that has this much power should be this quiet. I had the GMPP exhaust (basically the Borla Touring) on my last Silverado and I really liked the balance. It had a nice rumble but I no drone on the highway. This time, I'm thinking about going a little louder with the S Type. But I want to make sure I can still live in peace in the cab. Anyone have experience with the S Type? Going to purchase through a vendor this time either way so I can get the really nice squared quad tips. 

I have a 2020 GMC AT4 6.2L with the GMPP (aka Borla Touring) Exhaust and CAI and if I was to do it again I would have not chose those factory options and buy a Borla S-Type catback afterwards.

Don't get me wrong, the GMPP Exhaust has a nice rumble and louder than stock...it's just not aggressive enough (other than a cold start which sounds great!).

The only thing I worry about with going with a S-Type is when I tow a trailer...that could be annoying on a longer drive...not sure.

I often think about switching the GMPP muffler to an S-Type, but after doing some research, I discovered I would need to buy a Borla ATAK muffler and a S-Type muffler/resonator as that is essentially what the Borla S-Type actually is...it's a Borla ATAK system followed immediately by a S-Type muffler/resonator... to slightly mellow out ATAK muffler...I'm not sure if the GMPP/Touring pipe length would align with the ATAK+S-Type setup...even though the GMPP/Touring is much larger muffler than the short ATAK and S-Type mufflers...I would probably have to pay an exhaust shop cut the pipe and weld...not sure it would be worth the trouble/cost...would be nice if I could simply remove the GMPP muffler and direct swap in a ATAK muffler and S-Type resonator without any modification of the pipe length...

I called Phasetek the shop that did a lot of exhaust testing on these new trucks, and they seems to think that none of the systems had any drone in the cab.  The Atak was the loudest and most noticeable all the time but very refined, next the S type was very noticeable at cold start, noticeable while accelerating and not really noticeable while cruising.  Last the touring, was noticeable during cold start but not so much after that.  The S seems to be the right mix for me, and I did want quiet while cruising and towing.  I should have it on the truck in a few weeks and can post my opinion if anyone is interested.

Thanks for the replies!

After doing more research, I have a hard time justifying $1500 for a system when I could just do a muffler and quad tips for $300ish and still gain noise. There's so many flappers and resonators in these things, I'd say it's pretty hard to have any drone. 

Just got my GMPE installed this morning, so I have very fresh feedback after driving it back to work from the dealer. ? 

I LOVE it. It is perfect for *me*. I wanted an exhaust that would be easily noticeable under acceleration, but that would fade off under cruise. This really hits the sweet spot for me. 

If you have had exhausts on your truck before, I can see how this system (Borla Touring) would disappoint you. But for me, since this is my first ever legit exhaust on a V8 truck, I think it's perfection. Coupled with the GM CAI, the deep notes of the engine are fantastic!  

13 minutes ago, Tjeli said:

I have had lots of loud exhausts in my life.  The Borla Touring is PLENTY loud on my 6.2.  If you don't think it is loud enough, have someone else drive your truck so you can hear it from outside.

-Eli

Yeah, I took my RST with the new GMPE out on the highway for the first time today. SO glad I did the “touring” note with the GMPE vs the S-Type, which I had been considering. At 70mph on a slight incline, it borders the noise level that would start to annoy me on a longer than 1 hour drive. 

On 9/11/2020 at 1:51 PM, econometrics said:

Yeah, I took my RST with the new GMPE out on the highway for the first time today. SO glad I did the “touring” note with the GMPE vs the S-Type, which I had been considering. At 70mph on a slight incline, it borders the noise level that would start to annoy me on a longer than 1 hour drive. 

Okay I’m glad someone else hears it too. I drove a 6.2 with GMPE and thought I heard drone under those conditions too. Borla should change their motto to “pretty much no drone” hahaha!

• Like 1

After reading ton of these posts I finally pulled the trigger. Just ordered the Borla Touring yesterday for my 6.2. Scheduled for install at my buddy's shop next Wednesday. I will post an obligatory video once complete. 

All signs point to this being the right move for me. I don't want to rumble the neighborhood. I've owned many loud exhausts over the years. I just want something that wakes up when I get on it but is mellow at idle and cruise. We shall see... 

2 hours ago, childstoys said:

After reading ton of these posts I finally pulled the trigger. Just ordered the Borla Touring yesterday for my 6.2. Scheduled for install at my buddy's shop next Wednesday. I will post an obligatory video once complete. 

All signs point to this being the right move for me. I don't want to rumble the neighborhood. I've owned many loud exhausts over the years. I just want something that wakes up when I get on it but is mellow at idle and cruise. We shall see... 

After having that system for about a week, I can tell you that you've made the right decision. Even on start-up, my exhaust is just slightly louder than stock... which is nice, because my truck is parked right next to my 2yo's window and I don't want to wake her up from naps, etc. when I leave! ? 

Put a CAI on, and you'll really love the note it makes when you rev up past 2300 rpm accelerating! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, econometrics said:

After having that system for about a week, I can tell you that you've made the right decision. Even on start-up, my exhaust is just slightly louder than stock... which is nice, because my truck is parked right next to my 2yo's window and I don't want to wake her up from naps, etc. when I leave! ? 

Put a CAI on, and you'll really love the note it makes when you rev up past 2300 rpm accelerating! 

That’s reassuring... I’ve had my eye on the S&B intake but it has been on back order for a while now everywhere. Seems they will back in stock in the next month. That will most likely the way I go. 

2 hours ago, childstoys said:

That’s reassuring... I’ve had my eye on the S&B intake but it has been on back order for a while now everywhere. Seems they will back in stock in the next month. That will most likely the way I go. 

If you're going to do an aftermarket CAI (instead of the GM, which I did), that seems to be the one with the best performance specs. ?? @TNTSilverado just got his S&B, I believe, after a couple months of waiting. 

I have the 5.3L with the 8speed. Just put the GMPE on, and was finally able to get it out on the highway 70-80mph for an extended drive today. I have to say, it has more drone than I was expecting. It's not terrible, but it's there. For sure. 

I wonder if the 10sp drones less with this system, since it has 2 extra gears? It does seem like it only really drones around 1700-1900rpm, which is when you're cruising above 65mph and the engine is getting a little gas for a slight incline, or to gain speed. 

My guess is this will calm down some as the system settles in over the next couple weeks? Seems there's been reports that these catbacks do that. I have a 600 mile roundtrip coming up this weekend, so we shall see... 

Still super happy with the GMPE, btw. Just VERY happy I didn't get the S-Type. 

My touring system does not drone at all.  There is a difference between resonating "drone" and being able to just hear the exhaust.  And, exhausts to not get quieter as the "settle in".  They get louder.

-Eli

Edited by Tjeli