Slide in Camper

The pickup camper calculation says you will exceed FGAWR.  I assume you have a crew cab diesel and there is not much room under FGAWR when you have curb plus five passengers.  Some of the camper weight goes to front axle and this puts you over FGAWR.  GM recommends ordering VYU snow plow prep or F60 Heavy Front Suspension.  These two packages increase your front spring rate and FGAWR and you would get a camper sticker.

#iworkforGM 

Thanks #IworkforGM.  Another question if you can please.  We made a mistake and bought a High Country from the dealer not knowing it was NOT rated for a Slide in Camper.  Now we're working w/ dealer to add either the VYU or F60 to our 2020 3500 HD crew cab long box Duramax High Country.  This is so we can add a slide in camper.  I read you say that we still won't get a glove box sticker from GM.  But what we would need after the mod, is the new Cargo Weight Rating and Dimensions A and B.  Would the dealer be able to provide those?  Or how would we figure those out??  Thanks again.

I do not know how GM comes up with these calculations for slide in camper rating.

How do they know how much the slide in weighs.

Some slide in campers weigh as little as 1,500 lbs, others can weigh 5,000 lbs+.

With a 3500 truck you should be fine as long as the camper does not go way over the truck payload rating.     

Even if you are under the payload rating, an aftermarket rear sway bar and rear air bags make for a much better ride with the camper on the truck..

5 hours ago, SnoGirl said:

Thanks #IworkforGM.  Another question if you can please.  We made a mistake and bought a High Country from the dealer not knowing it was NOT rated for a Slide in Camper.  Now we're working w/ dealer to add either the VYU or F60 to our 2020 3500 HD crew cab long box Duramax High Country.  This is so we can add a slide in camper.  I read you say that we still won't get a glove box sticker from GM.  But what we would need after the mod, is the new Cargo Weight Rating and Dimensions A and B.  Would the dealer be able to provide those?  Or how would we figure those out??  Thanks again.

You just need to upgrade to the F60 torsion bars and realign the truck.  This will give you equal equipment to 6000 FGAWR.  If you have a single rear wheel truck, your front tire pressure can stay at 60 psi. If you have a dually, raise your front tire pressure to 80 psi with your camper.

Your dealer would need to call the TAC line to see if they can get the dimensions.  There is a computer program that calculates the dimensions and camper weight based on VIN.  If you have problems send me a pm.

#iworkforGM 

Edited by MTU Alum