Extended Idle Time

I searched for this prior to starting .....sorry if there is a thread out there, but I couldn’t find it searching on several key phrases.  All that seems to come up is the auto-start-stop feature on the 1/2 ton vehicles.

I’m trying to determine if there is a way to remove the auto-stop feature on my 2020 Chevy HD Duramax?  Fortunately, my sweet little dog was in the truck for less than a minute after the truck miraculously automatically stopped.  I was not informed of this “feature” at the time of purchase.   If one of the moderators can point me to a thread where I can learn more, that’s appreciated as well and you can cancel the post.

Thanks in advance for your feedback. 

Kelly

2 hours ago, Ray Pickle said:

Wow I did not know G.M H.D. diesels had stop/start. Learned something today! Gasser does not have that.

I don't think it has stop/start.

I believe what the  OP is referring to is an idle timer that shuts it off. 

They do have a self cooling feature that, if it's been working hard, MAY restart it and idle for up to about 15 minutes to cool itself. 

From 6.6 Dmax supplement:

If the Action Required - Idle Vehicle To Cool Engine DIC message displays, do not turn the engine off.

Keep the engine running until the message goes away.

Intended Vehicle Use: After a Heavy Towing Event

If equipped, when the vehicle is turned off after towing heavy loads, the system may automatically restart the engine. A chime will
sound and DIC messages will display. The engine will automatically turn off after 10– 15 minutes of run time or if enough
cooling has occurred.

If the DIC messages display after the vehicle has been stopped and placed in P (Park) with the engine still running, remain in the vehicle with the engine running until these messages no longer display. It may take up to 15 minutes of idling. Do
not park the vehicle in an enclosed area if the messages display.

If the system determines that the engine should be restarted and the ignition is turned off, the engine will turn off and then automatically restart. If the engine is restarted,
DIC messages display and chimes will sound. The vehicle cannot be shifted out of P (Park) unless the feature is overridden.
Never leave occupants in the vehicle, and always take the keys and lock the doors if you must leave the vehicle idling. Some local laws
prohibit a vehicle from idling unattended. Always remain with the vehicle until it automatically turns off. This could take up to 15 minutes.

3 hours ago, Ray Pickle said:

Wow I did not know G.M H.D. diesels had stop/start. Learned something today! Gasser does not have that.

Thanks, Ray.  As redwngr pointed out, It’s actually not a stop/start.  It’s an auto stop only - when you let your truck idle it will shut-off automatically after a specific time period.  

Thanks all for your replies.  Just have to plan my trips into the store quickly when my sweet little girl (dog) is riding shotgun on our road trips.

Kelly

4 hours ago, gearheadesw said:

I smell a future law suit coming in on this. Just what the OP described, leave pet in idling vehicle and it shuts off, killing the pet. What if it's a child in the back seat, wtf?

wtf are you leaving a pet and/or child alone in the vehicle for?

• Like 1

Regardless of leaving it running or not, people aren't supposed to (and in many places, it's against the law and they can get their pets/kids taken away from them and thrown in jail) leave either their pets or their children in their vehicle unattended.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2020 at 11:46 AM, gearheadesw said:

But you leave a truck running expecting it to stay running. No one told the new buyers, had to find  out from experience. 

It's in the owners manual.

If the vehicle is left parked and running with the RKE transmitter
outside the vehicle, it will continue to run for up to half an hour. 

If the vehicle is left parked and running with the RKE transmitter
inside the vehicle, it will continue to run for up to an hour.

The vehicle could turn off sooner if it is parked on a hill, due to lack of available fuel.

The timer will reset if the vehicle is taken out of P (Park) while it is running. 

Some have posted that 'out of park, with the parking brake on' is a work-around.

• Like 1

My truck automatically turns off after 15min. 

And yes my dog comes with me to work everyday. I drive from job site to job site as a supervisor. I leave my truck running almost 100% of the time on job sites for specific tasks as well. 

Auto shut off is annoying and I wish I could disable it. 

• 9 months later...

Same here, my dog travels to work with me too.  I have a temp alarm that will text me if the cab temp gets too warm for him.  I see no reason why my engine should turn itself off. My previous 6 Duramaxs didnt, and my Ford dosent, so I dont know why this one does. Arg