Want to add GM Nav radio to 2003 Denali ?

My 2003 Yukon Denali has about 500 miles on it and I miss the option of Navigation that I had in my Jeep. So I decided to ask my GM dealer about the factory Nav unit and how much it would cost to purchase. I was told it absolutely positivley WILL NOT work and I should trade my truck back in and buy one already equipped with the Nav radio if I want the factory installed unit. This disturbed me so I contacted Delphi and GM engineers and got mixed answers. Most said it would probably not work so I should not waste my time or money.

Well I love challenges and found a semi used Nav radio on E-Bay for 1,300.00. I am going to attempt to install it in my 2003 Denali and hope it works. I will post an update after I get the radio. Has anyone else ever heard of someone getting the factory Nav unit to work in a non Nav equipped vehicle ?? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated !!

Nav_Unit_2.jpg

.... Has anyone else ever heard of someone getting the factory Nav unit to work in a non Nav equipped vehicle ?? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated !!

I would bet that you would have to have your computer flashed by the dealer to accept the NAV unit, and your computer may not be the right version to accept the flash instruciton.

Just a negative guess....

It might be more difficult than you think it is to get the radio to work.

1. You will have to have the radio programmed to your vehicle by a dealer or someone that has a TechII.

2. If the radio has been keyed to another vehicle, the radio cannot be reprogrammed easily at the dealer. If it were pulled out of a vehicle before the first servicing, then it might be ok. I would definitely ask that question before plunking down that kind of change for the radio. To change the coding for one that has already been keyed to a vehicle, the radio will have to be sent to a Delphi service center.

3. I know a couple of the guys that worked on the Nav at Delphi. From what I remember, there is a separate antenna/module for the GPS unless they made major changes for the production version. I have seen the early units. It was definitely more involved than just the head unit.

Your best bet would be to make a GPS setup from Alpine or some other aftermarket company. It would be much less of a headache.

Good luck on your effort. :thumbs:

Well I already bought one from a guy in Michigian on E-Bay for $1300.00. He told me that he sold another one previously to a guy with a silverado and it worked. I am guessing it will need to be re-programmed or re-keyed by my GMC dealer (good friend) and it includes the GPS antenna. I may be ok regarding the money spent because another one of the Nav units without the GPS antenna sold for almost $1700.00 a day after I won my auction. So if it doesn't work I MAY be able to make a little money off of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Did it and it works great !! The Nav unit is really nice and has great features. My next project is the HID headlight kit and the rear camera setup that allows this factory NAV unit to play movie DVD's and to see what is behind my truck when in reverse. Should be COOL !!!

Awesome Copout221, I responded to JPcustoms and you on the preferred vendor forum from my post there about this. I have a 2002 Tahoe and want to put the NAV system in it also but JP seemed to think we have different wiring and it won't work for us? Anyone have any ideas for all us non-denali owners?

The radios were changed from 1.5 DIN to 2 DIN opening in 2003. The Nav radio is a 2 DIN size, so just it won't work just on the size issue. Then there is the whole thing about the bus communication for the radio that wasn't on the '02 models. I won't say it is impossible, but it will be at least extremely difficult without major modifications.

Awesome!!!! :thumbs:

Details...! Details...! Was it just a simple plug-in and go? Did you have to get anything reflashed by the dealer?

No reflash required but this radio will NOT work in any GM veh that does not have the new serial bus communication electrical system. From what I understand only the 2003 and up GM trucks have the new electrical system. This NAV unit communicates with the veh via the serial bus and will not even turn on if it does not receive a signal from the vehicle. In addition, this unit will have to be reset if it was previously installed in another vehicle because it stores the vin number and will only work in the veh that matches the vin stored.

It's great to hear this can be done. I either want to do what you did or get a Magellan RoadMate 700 and fab up a bracket to mount it against the upper cubby in my Silverado. Sorry for the barage of questions here....

How much did the whole deal cost, all told? You said you paid 1300, for the radio...how much was the antenna, and were there any other accessories you had to buy to make it work?

Do you have the Bose system? (I do, just want to make sure it won't cause problems there)

Was the nav radio originally out of a GMC product? Reason I ask is I heard that there are issues with the VIN encoding thing when trying to connect say a GMC radio to a Chevy amp. I heard this reading the Chevy Avalanche Fan club posting, although I don't believe the guy was certain this was causing the problem.

The disc slot above the display is for the navigation DVD, right? (I currently have the six-disc in-dash, Bose tuner, and wanted to see if I'd need to get an external changer).

(Edit: also, do you (or anyone else here) happen to know the part number of the navi unit and GPS attenna?)

Thanks!

Archived