Rented 2020 6.2L Yukon XL vs. my 2012 5.3L Yukon XL

That kind of complicates things more.

$47,630 is the MSRP for Toyota Tundra Platinum CrewMax
$58,000 is the MSRP for the GMC Sierra 1500 Denali 4WD

And higher trims drop value quicker, especially true for American trucks that are ridiculously overpriced.

Does it also include how much people actually buy theirs? Mine was $10k off MSRP. When I went out looking, I was lucky to get $2k off the Tundra.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

That kind of complicates things more.

$47,630 is the MSRP for Toyota Tundra Platinum CrewMax
$58,000 is the MSRP for the GMC Sierra 1500 Denali 4WD

And higher trims drop value quicker, especially true for American trucks that are ridiculously overpriced.

Does it also include how much people actually buy theirs? Mine was $10k off MSRP. When I went out looking, I was lucky to get $2k off the Tundra.

Generally the most you'll get off MSRP on a Tundra is 12% vs 20% on a GM.

Also, to be fair, the Tundra Platinum is probably closer to an SLT/LTZ or an F150 Lariat than a Denali/ High Country. So the MSRPs are closer than that would seem to show. 

8 hours ago, Cpl_Punishment said:

The thousands more to purchase is false. My Tundra SR5 was $45k CAD out the door in November, which was about $8k off MSRP. A Sierra Elevation would have run me $65k CAD at that time. Even assuming that I got the highway fuel economy of 10L/100 km in the GM all the time and the city fuel economy of 18L/100 km in the Tundra, it would have taken me 25 years to come out ahead if I'd bought the GM, assuming I drive 10k kms a year and assuming a T1 would actually last that long. 

In my area you're doing good if you get a Toyota $3000 off MSRP. That's one of the reason I bought the 14 Silverado over the Tacoma and Tundra. None of the four Toyota dealers I went to over two months would offer more than $1700 off. Ford and Chevy offered much better equipped trucks in the high 20s or low 30s compared to the 34k for the Tacoma and 38k for the Tundra. Now the resale value on a Toyota truck is insane. 

2 hours ago, Chebby said:

I don’t know where you’re getting the idea that the Tundra is a more expensive truck. It is not as feature-rich as the domestics and is cheaper to buy. The Tundra does get the worst mpg for sure, BUT it depreciates the least and has the lowest 5-year cost to own of all the half tons. (See below)

Assume $2.15/gal for fuel. 

The Tundra at 15mpg combined costs $0.143/mile in fuel. After 200k miles, this is $28,600. 
A new EB Ford at 17mpg combined costs $0.126/mile in fuel. After 200k miles, this is $25,200. 

The real question is: Is it worth paying thousands more for a new Ford to save $3,400 in fuel after driving 200k miles? Most people simply don’t believe a new Ford will go 200k without significant repairs. But the Tundra, a 13-year-old design, has been shown to get there and beyond with only routine maintenance. Some would rather have the Ford’s bells and whistles that the Toyota lacks. That’s totally fine. But if you want to buy a truck these days and keep it for 15 years, the Toyota is the safest bet to get you there without repair costs. Yes, on paper it lags behind the competition. But that’s exactly why it is the most reliable.  

F4692D1B-293F-4778-BEB3-B1365B67EFEE.thumb.jpeg.18c95996c0b064957b912a6d3895c91a.jpeg

In my area most Tundra Sr and Sr5 are running about 37k whereas a Silverado Custom is around 31k. An F150 with the STX package can be had for around 31k also. I have seen first hand from folks that have had F150s and Silverados get above 200-300k with no major issues that left them on the side of the road who use the trucks as actual trucks. The resale value on the Tundra can't be beat but at the higher price for fewer features in my area makes it a bad deal in my book. I've got nothing against Toyota as they do make a good vehicle but in my area they're just not a bargain and very thirsty. 

39 minutes ago, Cpl_Punishment said:

Generally the most you'll get off MSRP on a Tundra is 12% vs 20% on a GM.

Also, to be fair, the Tundra Platinum is probably closer to an SLT/LTZ or an F150 Lariat than a Denali/ High Country. So the MSRPs are closer than that would seem to show. 

I didn't think the Tundra Platinum would be as well-equipped as a Denali.

It also depends on where. I just looked in cars.com and picked new only. The absolute cheapest brand-new 4x4 Tundra within a 200-mile radius from Newport Beach (that includes Los Angeles, Riverside, San Diego, and Orange County, an area with 20 million people) with four full doors is an SR5 going for $41,501 with an MSRP of $44,001. Scrolling down, I see the vast majority are priced at MSRP. Switching it to nationwide instead of a 200-mile radius, I see a Tundra SR5 with four full doors for $36,624 with an MSRP of $41,183.

In the meantime, the cheapest Silverado LT 4x4 crew cab within 200 miles is $40,809 with an MSRP of $50,395. I think the SR5 is more like LT, correct me if I'm wrong. There were tons of WT 4x4's for $33k with MSRP of $39k.

I was in the same situation last year when I bought my RST 5.3 4x4 for $43,000 (MSRP at $53,000) - it was all-new and more advanced with better economy than the Tundra, and yes, I'm fully aware issues will be a certainty with the Silverado.

I really did my homework before buying a new truck. If the Tundra was $5,000 off, I might have considered it. At that time I was looking, it was nearly impossible to get $2k off. Currently, it seems all big three are getting a tad stingier with the discounts and it's much harder to find one at $10,000 off MSRP or more.

• Like 2

I gave this a hard look.. and there are already a few flaws with it. Average price paid for Silverado LT 4x4 is only $3,000 off MSRP? And Toyota SR5 4x4 is higher at $3,800? I don't know where to begin but it's simply not true! I am also very sure that my five-year ownership cost is quite a bit less since I got mine at $10,000 off, not $3,000. I used that to factor in depreciation since others used depreciation off of MSRP, not off of actual price paid.

image.thumb.png.49da20a49a00fbad271497a830851c4e.png

On 7/15/2020 at 9:09 PM, Cpl_Punishment said:

If gas mileage and fancy features are your only concerns, get the GM. If you want to get 130k+ miles out of it, Toyota would be the only way to go. 

? Yeah like no GM has ever been know to last over 130k... You drank that Toyota kool-aid quick, you gotta sip it!

For ****** and giggles I did a quick autotrader search on Silverado 1500's and Tundras with over 200k miles, there are 989 listed in the US and the first page looked to be about 3 or 4 to 1 Chevy to Toyota listings. Not at all scientific but puts a dagger in your if you want to last over 130k remark you buy a Toyota, they haven't been historically reliable in a few decades... For the record, most GM trucks when we get rid of them are north of 150k, not sure how that is possible with it not being a Toyota be we do it and none have had major repairs, not even a water pump.

Tyler

Edited by amxguy1970

1 hour ago, Wiggums said:

I gave this a hard look.. and there are already a few flaws with it. Average price paid for Silverado LT 4x4 is only $3,000 off MSRP? And Toyota SR5 4x4 is higher at $3,800? I don't know where to begin but it's simply not true! I am also very sure that my five-year ownership cost is quite a bit less since I got mine at $10,000 off, not $3,000. I used that to factor in depreciation since others used depreciation off of MSRP, not off of actual price paid.

image.thumb.png.49da20a49a00fbad271497a830851c4e.png

I think LT is a fair comparison to an SR5. The difference between the Silverado and the Tundra grows as you move into the higher trim levels, as does the discount off MSRP. 

HOWEVER...see that 2.7 peeking out from under the 2019 Silverado specs? You’re comparing a 4-cylinder Silverado to a 5.7L v8 Tundra. ? 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Chebby said:

I think LT is a fair comparison to an SR5. The difference between the Silverado and the Tundra grows as you move into the higher trim levels, as does the discount off MSRP. 

HOWEVER...see that 2.7 peeking out from under the 2019 Silverado specs? You’re comparing a 4-cylinder Silverado to a 5.7L v8 Tundra. ? 

It didn't offer me that option.. I could get the V8 option on the LTZ but that wouldn't be comparable to the SR5. And the Toyota does not have a 4-cylinder option... my apologies!

3 hours ago, Wiggums said:

I didn't think the Tundra Platinum would be as well-equipped as a Denali.

It also depends on where. I just looked in cars.com and picked new only. The absolute cheapest brand-new 4x4 Tundra within a 200-mile radius from Newport Beach (that includes Los Angeles, Riverside, San Diego, and Orange County, an area with 20 million people) with four full doors is an SR5 going for $41,501 with an MSRP of $44,001. Scrolling down, I see the vast majority are priced at MSRP. Switching it to nationwide instead of a 200-mile radius, I see a Tundra SR5 with four full doors for $36,624 with an MSRP of $41,183.

In the meantime, the cheapest Silverado LT 4x4 crew cab within 200 miles is $40,809 with an MSRP of $50,395. I think the SR5 is more like LT, correct me if I'm wrong. There were tons of WT 4x4's for $33k with MSRP of $39k.

I was in the same situation last year when I bought my RST 5.3 4x4 for $43,000 (MSRP at $53,000) - it was all-new and more advanced with better economy than the Tundra, and yes, I'm fully aware issues will be a certainty with the Silverado.

I really did my homework before buying a new truck. If the Tundra was $5,000 off, I might have considered it. At that time I was looking, it was nearly impossible to get $2k off. Currently, it seems all big three are getting a tad stingier with the discounts and it's much harder to find one at $10,000 off MSRP or more.

Yah, SR5 would be the equivalent to an LT. I was cross shopping a Tundra SR5 against an RST and an Elevation because I wanted bucket seats. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cpl_Punishment said:

Yah, SR5 would be the equivalent to an LT. I was cross shopping a Tundra SR5 against an RST and an Elevation because I wanted bucket seats. 

Bucket seats, exactly why I got mine! That part was not negotiable, I had to have bucket seats, I love the storage!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, amxguy1970 said:

? Yeah like no GM has ever been know to last over 130k... You drank that Toyota kool-aid quick, you gotta sip it!

For ****** and giggles I did a quick autotrader search on Silverado 1500's and Tundras with over 200k miles, there are 989 listed in the US and the first page looked to be about 3 or 4 to 1 Chevy to Toyota listings. Not at all scientific but puts a dagger in your if you want to last over 130k remark you buy a Toyota, they haven't been historically reliable in a few decades... For the record, most GM trucks when we get rid of them are north of 150k, not sure how that is possible with it not being a Toyota be we do it and none have had major repairs, not even a water pump.

Tyler

Sure, lots of GMT-800s and 900s will go 150k miles but how many T1s or even K2s will?