Roadmaster Active Suspension

Hello all,

Has anyone on here installed the Roadmaster Active Suspension on their truck? I just recently pickup a 27" travel trailer and I am doing research into helping the rear sag a little and maybe help with the "sway" little too. I to have a Equalizing hitch setup, but there is still just a little sag. I am thinking Airbags but I just came across these things..

https://activesuspension.com/products/kits/1990-2016-gmc-1500-sierra-pickup/

Anyone have experience with them? looks like between $470 and $550 for a set, where the Airbags and compressor will run about a grand. I would rather spend the money if these things a not worth it and don't really help. Watched a review YouTube video and the guy said it still sagged, by measurements, more then he expected but he said it did handle much better.

Thanks in advance for any input.

I have the kit in the bed of my truck. Was gonna install them with before/after measurements but I ended up getting a flat out at the ranch that messed up my plans. I’ll try again next weekend. All my trailers are parked an hour away from me.

I had airbags on my previous 2 vehicles and wanted to try something different this time. I don’t tow that often so bags are not really necessary. Also, these act as traction bars which is one of the reasons I decided to try them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

With a travel trailer of that size the back of the truck is going to go down.  Have you tried adjusting the hitch to the next position?  Do you have a hitch with the correct amount of drop?  Do you have enough tongue weight?  Does your hitch have an anti-sway device?Don't try to maintain the unloaded height of the truck. Down two or three inches is where you want it.  

Edited by oldmann
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, oldmann said:

With a travel trailer of that size the back of the truck is going to go down.  Have you tried adjusting the hitch to the next position?  Do you have a hitch with the correct amount of drop?  Do you have enough tongue weight?  Does your hitch have an anti-sway device?Don't try to maintain the unloaded height of the truck. Down two or three inches is where you want it.  

This is how she sit.

trailer.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Installed RAS std duty on my 2021 Silverado 1500 duramax. Pulled a 28ft travel trailer (including loan level anti sway hitch) with and without. The RAS is fantastic. Eliminated the minimal sag and distributed correct amount of weight to front axle.  Steering control and porpoising completely gone.  RAS is set at 40% (or 45% I forget) spring load. Will never have another tow vehicle without it. Had it installed by a local shop that was listed as a distributor for about $425. The trucks rear end rides one inch higher with no load. The one inch isn't noticeable in my opinion. Also found that the rear end is much smoother with no load over rough roads / terrain. Highly recommended!

Installed them on my F150-FX4 (previous vehicle) because I towed a boat and wanted better handling.  Loved it, the ride when not towing seemed better too!  I spent about $400 on mine and installed it myself, pretty easy job!  They held up well too, I had no problems from them the 3-4 years I had them before trading the F150 for the Trail Boss!

Take a look at Timbren.  No air, no springs/linkages, no real affect on unloaded ride.  I used them on my '00 SLE and when towing at max rating the affect was amazing.  No sway, no excessive squat.  When unloaded you only knew they were there when you hit a decent bump at speed, and that was just a quick 'jounce' as the rear suspension flexed.

They have been around a long time. I had it on my old Silverado and they work great. Ride is uneffected till it sags into the roadmaster spring. Its designed that way. So a little sag but then control and better handling. Easy install, good price point.