Max Tow but still to much squat

12 hours ago, BigDog88 said:

Ive had it higher, lower, currently i have the ball level with the ball coupler.  

I have mine setup 2.5” above my leveled trailers ball mount.  I set mine up with 6 links between my bars and brackets.  With that setup I get about a 3/4” of sag in the rear.  Truck rides great, I have about a 5k trailer.

when I was setting mine up it was suggested to have the ball 1.5-3” above the top of the trailers ball mount ( trailer sitting level)

this is the video I used to help me get mine right:

Edited by pewterliftedz

My elevation (x31 with rancho shocks), when hitch height was properly set sagged 3.75". (7k trailer, 600lbs tongue weight, wife, dog, 2 kids, 5 bikes in truck bed).   I ended up throwing on airbags, eliminated the squat easily, still have decent distribution weight on front (need to run over scale for firm numbers).  She pulls really really well with my 7k trailer.  Ill post up bunch of pics friday when we hook up for our long trip, including sag with empty air bags, etc...

Yeah some pictures would help to see what you’re talking about. I have a 4” lift and used a drop hitch on my WD, and was able to get it to distribute the weight properly. Unless pulling a very light trailer, you’ll probably always be able to visualize some sag. Mine is about 7K loaded.
This picture was from my first test run, and I was able to eliminate even more sag after adjusting the WD.

d8974f315261a7dd75cf3d02a9df1629.jpg

I appreciate everyone response to help.  This is only picture I have from when I had the ball higher than the coupler.  It’s not a great picture but shows the squat.  I’ll have to go hook it up on another day when it’s not my wife’s birthday, and take better pictures!

0F0A0676-26C3-4C12-A151-7D3E84F585A0.jpeg

Too much squat.  It looks like the WDH bars are parallel to the frame which is good. It's hard to tell but it looks like there is no downward head angle, which would indicate not enough weight is being distributed.  Good news is this is an easy fix.  Watch the video I linked on how to setup an Equal-i-zer, especially the part where it shows you how to tilt the head down more.

• Thanks 1

I'm level with an 800 pound tongue weight.  Looking at your trailer, looks like a lot of the weight is forward of the axle for a large tongue weight. I would estimate your tongue weight to be well over 1000 when loaded.  Also, the Sumo springs ride like trash and the Firestone air bags do not fit correctly (tried both).  

Edited by bshort
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, BigDog88 said:

861 lbs of tongue weight 

Have you ever jumped on scales to see how much weight is being distributed to the front axle?  Did you have anything loaded in your bed when you took this photo?  That is a lot of sag for sure.  I'm not familiar with your WD hitch style unfortunately, mine uses the chain links.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pewterliftedz said:

Have you ever jumped on scales to see how much weight is being distributed to the front axle?  Did you have anything loaded in your bed when you took this photo?  That is a lot of sag for sure.  I'm not familiar with your WD hitch style unfortunately, mine uses the chain links.

Nothing in the bed in the picture 

1 hour ago, bshort said:

That model looked to show that as dry.  That's without propane, battery, any water and your stuff.  

Your correct that is dry.  So probably around 1k with propane and battery.  I try to keep minimal water on travel days just enough to run toliet for stops.

You have an Equalizer hitch correct? Do you know the weight rating of the spring bars? if they are undersized or marginally sized you can replace those spring bars with a heavier weight. I would only go this route if the hitch geometry is set up correctly and there is still too much sag. 

Edit: after looking at that pic a little more closely the trailer looks fairly level as well as the spring bars you probably need to look in to heavier weight spring bars, likely also a helper spring or airbags, even with heavier spring bars that is several inches of sag to compensate for.   

Dumb question is it mildly difficult to snap the bars up in to place when hitching up?  I switched to a different style because i kept wrenching my back doing it. 

Edited by Greyhound6.2

5 hours ago, Greyhound6.2 said:

You have an Equalizer hitch correct? Do you know the weight rating of the spring bars? if they are undersized or marginally sized you can replace those spring bars with a heavier weight. I would only go this route if the hitch geometry is set up correctly and there is still too much sag. 

Edit: after looking at that pic a little more closely the trailer looks fairly level as well as the spring bars you probably need to look in to heavier weight spring bars, likely also a helper spring or airbags, even with heavier spring bars that is several inches of sag to compensate for.   

Dumb question is it mildly difficult to snap the bars up in to place when hitching up?  I switched to a different style because i kept wrenching my back doing it. 

Had to get something out of the TT today and looked at the sway bars quickly and they are rated for 1k tongue weight max and 10k trailer weight max...so technically I should be ok.

im going to add more washers to the hitch to angle the ball back farther and see if that helps.  

I rarely use the tool to get the sway bars on it...I just have jack lift it up high enough that I can swing the bars on effortlessly. Thanks 

Couple of photos

1 is with no air in bags, hitch height 21”

2 is connected no equalizer bars no air bags sags to 17.75”

3 is equalizer bars but no air bags 19.25”

4 is equalizer bars and air bags up at 40 psi   20.25”

A0AA62ED-986D-4885-B22F-F2A7FC169264.jpeg

678FEE85-474A-4263-8515-1E322A8D88BD.jpeg

396EB31D-DD39-4655-B46D-6FCB762E1726.jpeg

151F5897-EB5D-4F6C-94B5-B17EFD18FFCE.jpeg

I have a levelled 2019 Sierra, Max trailering option. This truck sits higher than my last truck overall so I actually lowered the height position on my WD hitch to prevent our TT from going down the road with the front end pointed up.

Hooked the trailer up today and overall the trailer sits level now but my truck squats.

I’m sure the levelling kit doesn’t help.  I measured about 5 1/2” inches between fender and top of the tire up front and about 4” from tire to fender in the back.

I’m sure airbags would really help, especially for trucks with levelling kits.

I also have quite a bit of weight in that toolbox I have on my truck.  When on holidays I’ll empty that out, although probably have a load of firewood in the truck anyways.  Just make sure the firewood is pushed as far forward as possible.

Myself at 170 lbs, wife that is 105lbs then 3 kids in the back seat come in around 160lbs total will mean a fairly loaded truck but well below the limit I’m sure!

37520477-5424-48CB-86EC-5E8D022C2F81.jpeg

081CC146-536B-4D1A-9E9A-C04F0114D5C6.jpeg

8C46FDBF-C572-491E-8185-A0B5AA89A3A7.jpeg

Edited by madconcept