New truck arriving soon

Good morning everyone. Soon to be new Silverado 1500 Crew Cab short box owner. It’s arriving this week. It was ordered in February. I’m getting anxious and nervous at the same time. I haven’t owned a truck in 20 years. The technology is mind blowing. The shear size when compared to my Corolla is staggering. Do I have any idea what I’m getting myself into? Is there anything I should know about owning a truck in these modern times? Compared to when I last drove something this big? Or should I just relax. And enjoy the ride. You only live once. Right? Any reasonable input would be appreciated. 

I came from an Acura sedan. These trucks are huge! Like jlong said, you'll get used to the size pretty quickly. The main thing I would say is, the front hood drops straight off, so it can be very difficult to see how close you are to parking poles and other objects in front of you. Takes a while to get a feel for that, but otherwise everything else is easy.

• Like 1

Back-in and embrace your mirrors!   Maybe offer to help a friend move by renting a 3-5 ton truck!  I remember moving family several hundreds of miles in a 5 ton rental shortly after buying a pickup.  Maneuvering the 1/2 ton was easy afterwards!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, 2020SilveradoCC said:

I came from an Acura sedan. These trucks are huge! Like jlong said, you'll get used to the size pretty quickly. The main thing I would say is, the front hood drops straight off, so it can be very difficult to see how close you are to parking poles and other objects in front of you. Takes a while to get a feel for that, but otherwise everything else is easy.

I had sensors so never had a worry but always thought I was closer to stuff than I was.....my 2500HD has been bit easier to guage for me,  but still I liked that RST a lot...….youll love the truck man, and yeah waiting and anticipating is whole point of getting a new one, lol.....pretty soon it will just be your same ol truck so enjoy the early stages of the process!

and yeah back in to parking spaces whenever possible.....much easier

my RST would feel like a sedan now after driving 2500 for awhile...its all perspective, lol

Edited by Dunn
  • Like 1

Congrats on the new purchase. Like others have said, the new T1's front hoods are huge and drop straight off and you can't see over them. Take your time when parking in a garage, use your sensors and camera's (if available) and just enjoy your truck. I absolutely love driving this new 2019 way more than my 2018. I bought it 2 months ago and have over 4k miles on it. 

Make sure to post a pic when you get it! 

• Thanks 1

Back in or pull through as if you backed in wherever you can.  People will park close next to you, or not pull up far enough across from you making it tight to back out.  And take your turns a hair wider.  After a few days of getting used to the handling and size, you won't notice. 

Relax and back into spots at the back of parking lots.  I had jeeps and SUVs previously, but my last two vehicles were a BMW 3 series and a little chevy commuter.  Took some getting used to going to a trail boss, but now no issues.