2019 Silverado RST excessive suspension uptravel

I went with these

image.thumb.png.96504c44de2a7f38f8a01a04ae492dc6.png

There is no valving adjustment, the fronts are ride height adjustable via a circlip that you can move between four different positions.  Bottom position is stock ride height, top is 2.5" lift with your stock springs.  I went with the second from top position and netted 1.75" lift.  

2019 LTZ 5.3 and 2020 3.0 X31 test subjects.

The normal 4X4 suspension the rear is very composed but the front has excessive bounce.
low-speed ride is a bit jittery but once you get the suspension moving it's fairly well composed. (Other than the annoying front)

X31 and Z71 the rear is simply too soft, but it does fix the excessive bounce from the front.
Low speed ride is incredibly comfortable, but it lacks control at higher speeds. Off-road is very good (for a non halo package i.e. Raptor) but performance falls off of a cliff suddenly. Tight corners in the city it has a fair amount of roll but once it sets it's fine.

2019 and 2020 Trail Boss use different suspension tuning. 2019s the rear tends to get hoppy, 2020 stay a bit more composed.

My X31 is so soft that loves bottoming out on the highway. Particularly in the rear end when heading up a hill. Front bottom outs are bit more controlled and much less jarring.

Trucks with composite springs ride better especially when unloaded.

A Denali with the Magnetic Ride Control is really the only way to have a happy medium.
Sport mode the suspension firms up for less body roll. Offroad mode the suspension softens up for a nice control but firms up if it senses the wheels are coming off the ground. (Like a Raptor but less extreme)
Tour mode the suspension just kind of guesses based on what's going on.
Tow/haul mode firms up the rear dampening to better control the tongue weight. And will stiffen the front shocks under braking to prevent excessive nose dive.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Icons or Bilstein's (if they ever come out) upfront will solve the nose dive under braking and the front bouncing at highway speeds. (Both have digressive valving)

Fox DSC 2.5's will do the same however at $2,300 per pair, it's a bit pricey.

one option nobody ever talks about is to bring your truck to a spring shop and have them custom-make coils for your OEM strut. But how much it will help is going to depend on how far they can take the OEM shock dampening.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Yep, get some new shocks. The OEM front shocks on the T1s are no bueno. I have a 2019 RST Z71 with the Ranchos. Granted, they have gotten a little better after 10K miles... but the floaty boaty in the front is still really bad. 

On 6/25/2020 at 5:57 PM, Wiggums said:

I have an RST with Z71 as well, I've lost control of it several times on straight roads without hitting the brakes or gas. The road has to have certain types of ripples for it to happen. Never happened on other roads. Very frustrating, but when I have the time, I am putting Bilsteins on it.

This condition you experienced is what got my suspension modified. However this washboard kick out they do on stock shocks isn't what I took the OP to mean. He spoke of a heave in the road. Heat or frost, doesn't matter. This is normally a single strike of the suspension at an unintended high speed for that bump and one of SIGNIFICANT elevation change.

Like driving up a 6" curb at 80 mph sort of situation.

Low frequency, high amplitude impact. This sort of bump will take the entire travel forcing the suspension to the hard stops.

A jounce or two afterward would be expected. The nose is tossed off the ground loosing control naturally of both steering and brakes. 

IF that sort of thing is what you are trying to remedy then Eibach, Fox etc OEM replacements are not going to cure this. That would take a system with over a foot of travel. There are some bumps your just going to catch air on. 

They will help the washboard stuff.   

• Like 1

I can tell you the Eibachs do make a huge improvement.  The big issue I experienced was after going over one of those heaves in the road the front end would bounce three times before finally settling.  If it's just one heave it's not a huge deal.  The problem for me arose when there were two heaves in the road and the suspension didn't have time to settle from the first before hitting the second.  The specific case for me, these two heaves happened to appear in the midst of a gentle corner.  On the stock shocks I darn near lost control.  With the Eibachs I can drive over that same set of humps at speed and it just cruises right over with just a single bounce.