First Travel Trailer

Looking to buy first family travel trailer. 2020 elevation with a 9200 tow capacity. I want something easy to pull. Thinking about a Jayco SLX7 with slide. 3,240 weight with tongue weight at 360. Should this be easy to pull and no squat? Also it’s travel length is 21’6” will I be fine without a weight distribution hitch? Feel free to add any advice you have learned about travel trailers for a green horn. 

We bought our first camper, a Jayco hybrid camper 19XUD. Its 20 feet long, 3,900 lbs. I have a 2012 Silverado with tow package. We have had it 3 years and towed around 3,000 miles. I have a setup with sway bar, no weight distribution. My truck is a Z71 and I added a leveling kit. I have no issues towing, rear end sags maybe 1". Tongue weight is around 400 lbs. Initially it sounds like you will be fine.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

The first thing you need to know about towing is forget that max tow rating of 9200 lbs.  That is the most useless, meaningless and irrelevant number in the towing world.  It is a bragging rights number only.  The second most useless number is that brochure tongue weight you quoted.  Your actual tongue weight will be hundreds of lbs higher once you add propane, batteries and load up for a trip.  That being said, your Jayco is well within the capabilities of your truck.  The number you need to be concerned with is the payload capacity listed on the yellow sticker on your B pillar.  That is the number you'll be most likely to exceed.  You'll need to account for any aftermarket accessories you've added and subtract their weight from the listed payload capacity.  My 2016 Silverado has a canopy, side steps, air bags and a mat in the bed.  All that dropped my payload capacity from 1572 lbs down to 1310 lbs.  With 700 lbs of tongue weight, I only had 610 lbs of remaining payload capacity, which wasn't enough after loading up with myself, the wife, the dog, the generator, the loaded cooler, the 60 lb hitch and everything else we load up in the cab and the bed.  That's why I got the 2019 Silverado with the 6.2L engine, 10 speed tranny and Max Trailering package.  After adding side steps and a tonneau cover I still have 1850 lbs of payload capacity left, which is more than enough.

As for the weight distribution hitch, I would definitely get one.  That's still a pretty good size trailer.  If you have the advanced trailering system, I'd also create a profile for your trailer and I'd get the GM trailer TPMS sensors and have them installed on you trailer tires.  It's nice to have that info available as you're driving.

This is what the trailer TPMS display looks like on the infotainment screen....

TPMS Display.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I just bought a 2020 Silverado 1500 with the baby Duramax 3.0 L diesel. I also have been thinking of getting a travel trailer. Nothing too big but I have the same questions. According to the GM specs it has 9200 lbs capacity. The previous reply regarding Payload capacity makes a great deal of sense. That said, are there others out there using the Silverado 1500 / 3L duramax for trailing and what are your experiences? What are you pulling? Thanks.

I think that if you look at a trailer up to half the max tow rating you will be fine.  You will have plenty of margin.  My 2014 5.3 Z71 would haul out 4500lb (dry) RV just fine.   I upgraded to a new 27ft that is about 6000lb dry and it still pulled it fine, but you could definitley feel the tug in the hills.  My new 2019 Max trailer 6.2 has nearly a 13000lb tow rating so now I am back well within comfort zone. 

More important than the oomph to pull is the ability to stop.  Dont pull without trailer brakes.   You can get by just fine without a load distributing hitch, but once you get one you will regret having waited.  It helps with the wind sway too not just the squat. 

7 hours ago, PBrown1 said:

I just bought a 2020 Silverado 1500 with the baby Duramax 3.0 L diesel. I also have been thinking of getting a travel trailer. Nothing too big but I have the same questions. According to the GM specs it has 9200 lbs capacity. The previous reply regarding Payload capacity makes a great deal of sense. That said, are there others out there using the Silverado 1500 / 3L duramax for trailing and what are your experiences? What are you pulling? Thanks.

I just pulled my 26' Travel Trailer for the first time with my 3.0 Dmax this past weekend, combined with that new 10 speed, it pulls like a dream!  The trailer is 4400 dry, but it's probably sitting at about 5,000 in its current config.  I do have factory trailer brakes and a Weight Distribution hitch setup, man I was impressed with the off the line torque.  I came from a 17' 6.2 Sierra with the 8L90 trans, and it didn't pull this nice.

I did add Bilstein 5100 shocks and 2" rear blocks to my truck, this was because with my tool box and tools in the bed, my truck was actually sitting completely level without a trailer.  I knew that once I hooked my trailer up, it would be nose high and dangerous to drive.  

Edited by pewterliftedz

Your truck should pull that Jayco no problem. Find the GVWR of the trailer and plan on the tongue weight being 12-15% of that number. Make sure your particular truck has enough payload once you load all the family, bikes, luggage, firewood, etc. in the truck prior to traveling. A half-ton truck will have no issues towing any of the Jayco SLX7s. Use a WDH for anything over 5000lbs. Some states require it. Long trips or many miles on the fast interstates I would use a WDH even under 5000 lbs.