Best Spot for Floor Jack and Jack Stand for oil change?

I just stick the jack on the frame under the drivers door, then put the jack stand on the frame on the part before it starts curving up. It should be a nice flat spot for the stand to sit. The rear I just jack up the pumpkin and stick two stands under the rear axle.

Rolling it up on wood is 5x faster than messing with jack stands though if the tires aren't coming off.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Philipgonzales3 said:

Where do you jack it up to lift the front, and where do the jackstands go?  Just did an ATF drain and fill on my girls Civic.  Was really easy but I'm not so confident on knowing the right location for the jack and stands for the truck.  I'm going to get some ramps but still want to know how I could lift the front up with the jack.

20200626_175439.jpg

What?

Really?

Chock wheels.

Put the jack under the frame of the truck. For the front where the frame is right behind the front wheel. For the rear, in-front of the rear wheel.  Jack it up. Put jack stand under frame next to jack. Lower jack. 

Go to other side and repeat. Or have two floor jacks.

Maybe I don't understand the question.

I have had my truck off the ground on 4 jack stands so I could remove all the tires to do all the brakes at once.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Philipgonzales3 said:

Ok the owners manual seems very vague to me.  Was hoping someone does it regularly and can school me in what I need to do lol.

Sounds like you want someone to come show you what you need to do...owner's manual is as plain as day

To raise the truck, put the jack in the area below...

Front tire---there is a bracket for the jack on the frame

Back tire---a couple of inches in from the shock bracket

Once jacked, up place the jack stands under the frame.  Don't see where the confusion comes in

Screenshot_2020-06-27 2019 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Owner's Manual - 2019-chevrolet-silverado-1500-owners-manual pdf.png

Edited by dsr611
  • Like 1

On 6/23/2020 at 2:41 PM, Philipgonzales3 said:

The ramp you use is something like this one?  Most of the videos show ppl using similar ramps for cars so wasn't sure. 

https://www.harborfreight.com/13000-lb-portable-vehicle-ramp-set-63956.html

I've been using a set of ramps like this for years for our Accord and Odyssey. Don't need for Outback since filter is on top. I used these ramps for the truck for the last change and worked fine. 

On 6/23/2020 at 10:18 PM, AlaskaErik said:

I just drive up on ramps to change my oil and filter.  If you plan on doing your own oil changes you should consider installing a Fumoto oil drain valve.  The model you want is the F107N.  Attach 12-18 inches of 3/8" ID clear vinyl tubing and it makes for a very clean oil change.

Can't say enough about fumoto valves. We have one on every vehicle and have been using them for over 15 years.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, dsr611 said:

Sounds like you want someone to come show you what you need to do...owner's manual is as plain as day

To raise the truck, put the jack in the area below...

Front tire---there is a bracket for the jack on the frame

Back tire---a couple of inches in from the shock bracket

Once jacked, up place the jack stands under the frame.  Don't see where the confusion comes in

Screenshot_2020-06-27 2019 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Owner's Manual - 2019-chevrolet-silverado-1500-owners-manual pdf.png

Thanks.  So what time are you coming by?  Lol

Actually that makes sense.  Thanks!  Just wanted to make sure I knew what to do.  I think I can do that.  Lol

Edited by Philipgonzales3

5 hours ago, diyer2 said:

What?

Really?

Chock wheels.

Put the jack under the frame of the truck. For the front where the frame is right behind the front wheel. For the rear, in-front of the rear wheel.  Jack it up. Put jack stand under frame next to jack. Lower jack. 

Go to other side and repeat. Or have two floor jacks.

Maybe I don't understand the question.

I have had my truck off the ground on 4 jack stands so I could remove all the tires to do all the brakes at once.

Yes really.  Lol I've never done it before so just want to make sure I did it right.  First truck and I'm not that mechanically inclined.  *shrugs* at least I'm trying to learn lol.

Thanks for the step by step.  I think I can do that! Lol

Edited by Philipgonzales3

3 hours ago, UGADawgs said:

I've been using a set of ramps like this for years for our Accord and Odyssey. Don't need for Outback since filter is on top. I used these ramps for the truck for the last change and worked fine. 

Can't say enough about fumoto valves. We have one on every vehicle and have been using them for over 15 years.

sweet! Going to buy some when my next oil change gets closer.  Looks like I will be getting a fumoto valve also.  I've read about them for years, I know they were popular for my last car (Focus ST).  Ppl swear by them so guess I'll need to join the crowd if I'm going to be doing my own changes from now on.  

28 minutes ago, Black02Silverado said:

For oil changes I use ramps. It helps to keep the oil tilted to the back so when you pull the oil filter it doesn't hit the cross-member.

Or just get a hover truck.  :)

HoverTruck.jpg

Don't know why I didn't think of that!  Just do that.  Thanks! Lol