I'm about to install the Chevy Performance Brembo Brake Upgrade on our Silverado. Has anyone else installed this kit? Anyone thinking about it?

At first glance, it seems pretty straightforward. After reading the manual, however, I'm realizing I need to take the front wheel bearings off to access the dust shield. Other than that, it seems to be a easy  rotor/caliper replacement.  Big thanks to @RyanbabZ71 for recommending a great brake bleeding tool!

The front set is a true six-piston caliper. The rear calipers are stock calipers painted red to match the fronts. The size increase on the front rotors is significant. 

I'm gathering the tools I'll need right now. Hopefully I can tear into it next week. I expect the entire process to take me at least a whole day and maybe two days depending on how it goes. Why so long? I'll be photographing and taking video of the entire process. Can't wait to share that with you all. 

Check back in this thread for progress updates. 

Chevrolet Performance Brembo Brake Upgrade

• Like 1

Definitely following this. Can’t wait to hear the results. The brakes as they stand are good but I can imagine these will be a huge improvement.

I like the Camaro 1LE brakes [emoji16]

Ryan B.

I really feel the need to chime in here on the stock brakes, at least on my X31, are complete trash.

Sure they'll stop you but you have to give it way too much pedal.

And I finally found out why I felt that the brakes weren't really working that well. The ceramic pad material! GM's trying to hit 80,000 miles between brake services....

I managed to overheat them with three 70-40 pull-downs. (At least 1/4 mile in-between each, 55°day, not hitting them hard enough to make the nose dive) On the final one the pads started slipping on the rotor, and the rotors blued.

This was with an empty truck! Completely unacceptable from any brake setup, particularly one that has 4 piston front calipers.

I should have known just by the fact that GM was offering a $3,500 brake upgrade, that somebody in the engineering team knew that the brakes weren't good enough.

Don't get me started on around town when slowing to a stop light. The engine, even with my foot completely off the gas fights the brakes. I found the only way it's come to a smooth stop or at least stop where I want to is to knock it into neutral.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I take it they allow for stock wheels to still fit?  I'm surprised they don't offer slotted and drilled rotors for the price you pay.  I still have the stock pads on the front of my 2002 at 199,000 miles.  :)  Got to love the GMT800's

Edited by Black02Silverado
  • Like 3

I take it they allow for stock wheels to still fit?  I'm surprised they don't offer slotted and drilled rotors for the price you pay.  I still have the stock pads on the front of my 2002 at 199,000 miles.  [emoji4]  Got to love the GMT800's
Requires 20 inch or larger

16 hours ago, topgear1224 said:

Requires 20 inch or larger

Yes, minimum 20" wheels. Makes using the 17" spare a little harder if you get a flat on the front wheels. They recommend only putting the spare on a rear wheel after the upgrade. 

2 hours ago, Zane said:

Yes, minimum 20" wheels. Makes using the 17" spare a little harder if you get a flat on the front wheels. They recommend only putting the spare on a rear wheel after the upgrade. 

Zane are the rotors nitrite treated like the OEM's? 

8 hours ago, Zane said:

Which kind of stinks since if I got a flat on the rear I would put the 17" on the front and the front good tire on the rear.  Unless the 17" is the same diameter.  I don't like running a different size wheel on the back with the G80.  One side turning different than another would put stress on it I would think.  Do we know if the spare is the same diameter as the rest?

6 hours ago, topgear1224 said:

Yes it is.

If your truck came with 20's the spare tires diameter is the same as your stock tire, it just has a 17-inch rim.

Good to know thanks.  I know I could have searched the info but figured someone already knew and would chime in.  Again, thanks. :)

I've finally assembled all of the tools I'm going to need. Now I just have to find a day to do it. Axle Nut socket, new electric impact gun, a dead blow hammer, and a swivel impact socket for the bearings. 

2020-06-22 09.19.40.jpg

• Like 2

On 6/13/2020 at 11:41 AM, Grumpy Bear said:

Zane are the rotors nitrite treated like the OEM's? 

They look to be but I'll find out for sure!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1