Chevrolet Performance Intake & Exhaust Installed w/video

Side note back to the OP here... 

I’ve watched SO many exhaust videos in the past week trying to decide if I wanted the Borla Touring or S-type catback. 

One thing I’ve yet to see on these video installs is someone starting and revving the truck after they tear off the old, GM OEM exhaust. Where are the gear heads who want to hear what that sounds like come straight out of the cat(s)?! ??‍♂️???

Side note back to the OP here... 

I’ve watched SO many exhaust videos in the past week trying to decide if I wanted the Borla Touring or S-type catback. 

One thing I’ve yet to see on these video installs is someone starting and revving the truck after they tear off the old, GM OEM exhaust. Where are the gear heads who want to hear what that sounds like come straight out of the cat(s)?! [emoji2371][emoji851][emoji631]
I actually did this with my 6.2, but didn't take a video. Sorry.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Transient said:

Just glad someone actually did it. You don’t get that kind of chance to dump a bunch of American exhaust right out the bottom of the truck often. ?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/14/2020 at 1:48 AM, Otherguy said:

Remember, GM has a ECM update if you add the intake and the exhaust to your truck. I’m pretty sure it’s to recalibrate the fuel tables due to increased airflow...

Its for the intake only.

-Eli

• 1 month later...
On 10/30/2020 at 7:41 AM, Tjeli said:

Its for the intake only.

-Eli

And its not for the fuel tables.

The less restrictive exhaust is good, the air intake does nothing. Realistically, aftermarket air intakes make power because of the less restrictive filter. If you can see day light when you look through the filter media, your good. Looking through gm's dry filter is like trying to see through two pairs of jeans.

However, I do believe gm when they say the air intake when coupled with the exhaust will make 1hp.  

And its not for the fuel tables.

The less restrictive exhaust is good, the air intake does nothing. Realistically, aftermarket air intakes make power because of the less restrictive filter. If you can see day light when you look through the filter media, your good. Looking through gm's dry filter is like trying to see through two pairs of jeans.

However, I do believe gm when they say the air intake when coupled with the exhaust will make 1hp.  
I can't find the numbers, but I believe it's 1 bhp and 2 btq. Not much, but it would still require a reflash to ensure the AFR remains at 14.7:1. I'm not an expert, but to fulfill emissions requirements a can see fuel trims being reflashed, otherwise you're looking at running a little lean.

10 hours ago, Transient said:

I can't find the numbers, but I believe it's 1 bhp and 2 btq. Not much, but it would still require a reflash to ensure the AFR remains at 14.7:1. I'm not an expert, but to fulfill emissions requirements a can see fuel trims being reflashed, otherwise you're looking at running a little lean.

Interesting.. So what happens to your truck when you drive in Colorado at 8000 feet, or along the coast of Florida at sea level. 

The air density/overall power output of your engine varies substantially. But an air intake that makes 1hp at the crank needs to be reflashed? 

Interesting.. So what happens to your truck when you drive in Colorado at 8000 feet, or along the coast of Florida at sea level. 

The air density/overall power output of your engine varies substantially. But an air intake that makes 1hp at the crank needs to be reflashed? 
I never said, "need". Only that GM does.

• 2 months later...
On 8/24/2020 at 5:48 PM, Transient said:

I also did the same thing but didn't video it. Honestly not that much louder and didn't have a great note to it. The GM performance exhaust is a pretty great mix of loudness and tone without much drone at all. 

So I installed the aFe Momentum GT Pro Dry S Air Intake on my 2021 6.2 with the S type Borla exhaust.  I liked the looks, design, cost, and “advertised” performance gains of the AFE system over the GM unit.  After reading that the GM CAI requires a trip back to the dealer for a reflash to reset the check engine light, I called AFE to see if this was required on their unit.  They told me it was not required.  I’ve put 500 miles on the truck and it runs and sounds great.  Can anyone explain why the GM CAI requires a trip back to the dealer but the aFe one doesn’t

So I installed the aFe Momentum GT Pro Dry S Air Intake on my 2021 6.2 with the S type Borla exhaust.  I liked the looks, design, cost, and “advertised” performance gains of the AFE system over the GM unit.  After reading that the GM CAI requires a trip back to the dealer for a reflash to reset the check engine light, I called AFE to see if this was required on their unit.  They told me it was not required.  I’ve put 500 miles on the truck and it runs and sounds great.  Can anyone explain why the GM CAI requires a trip back to the dealer but the aFe one doesn’t
Because the EPA won't be able to go after GM for modifying the vehicle with aftermarket parts. /sarcasm

It's been debated that it may or may not have anything to do with fuel trims or the relocation of MAF. Either way, I don't care. Going back to the dealer was no additional charge since the cost already included the reflash. Dealer can't charge you for getting that done. I have the GM CAI and like it. Iirc, it was actually made by K&N.

1 hour ago, Transient said:

Because the EPA won't be able to go after GM for modifying the vehicle with aftermarket parts. /sarcasm

It's been debated that it may or may not have anything to do with fuel trims or the relocation of MAF. Either way, I don't care. Going back to the dealer was no additional charge since the cost already included the reflash. Dealer can't charge you for getting that done. I have the GM CAI and like it. Iirc, it was actually made by K&N.

I wouldn’t have minded going back to the dealer if I went with the GM unit.  I was just wondering why the aFe product didn’t require an adjustment.  And I guess I still don’t understand why???

I wouldn’t have minded going back to the dealer if I went with the GM unit.  I was just wondering why the aFe product didn’t require an adjustment.  And I guess I still don’t understand why???
The only answer I can give on that is speculation rooted in fact. The ECU hasn't been cracked by any tuners. It's not that aFe didn't provide a tune, but that they can't. As far as I'm aware, the only way to get an aftermarket tune is via HPTuners and swapping ECUs. GM locked the ECUs down, and the code hasn't been broken yet. I don't know the cost for what HPTuners is doing, but heard it's north of $1,000. Would you buy a CAI that's $1,300+ with the minimal gains you get? Most wouldn't. Only GM has the keys to reprogramming, and so they do it.

• Like 1