2021 getting Wireless CarPlay...

I see that it has been confirmed that the 2021's are getting Wireless CarPlay. Would LOVE to have this. Makes absolutely zero sense to have wireless charging but have to plug in your phone to use CarPlay. Anyone out there think this will be a simple upgrade to the 2020s or most likely require a whole new head unit?

I also see the 2021 AT4's come with black painted mirror caps and stock "AT4 High Clearance Steps" and also something new with the bed camera system. From what I understand you can see your bed camera in your rear view rather than your main screen. Wondering if the steps they speak of are the Sierra off road assist steps I already have....

I’ve seen ads on FaceBook for a wireless CarPlay adapter ($150). I see they are advertising compatibility up to 2019.

It’s called carplay2air

They plug in the USB socket and have a Bluetooth connection to your phone.

Does anyone here have one?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Great!

I’m waiting on a Slide-Master Aluminum Bed Slide (should be delivered Monday!) and a dash mount for my Banks iDash gauge (he’s been waiting for materials).

Both of these were made in the US but the waiting....

I guess it would be worse if I had to fabricate them myself.

6 hours ago, kf9yr said:

I’ve seen ads on FaceBook for a wireless CarPlay adapter ($150). I see they are advertising compatibility up to 2019.

It’s called carplay2air

Yep and won’t work consistently on my 2020. Works in my wife’s 16 Tahoe but it’s pretty glitchy at times. 

This is my biggest gripe with this truck. I own a business and am constantly needing to be on the phone while driving around. My 2017 LTZ would read me my text messages, and I could wait to reply if I wanted. Or if I needed to reply asap I would plug in to CarPlay and go that route. My wireless charging in the armrest needed to be updated for my newer iPhone so I had to plug it in to charge anyways so the CarPlay wasn't such a pain. Now that I have the wireless charging that works so well, I find it a big hassle to plug in my phone only to get messages and such read to me. Like we went downhill from the previous models. I find myself reading my phone more than I ever used to and I really try not to. 

Wireless CarPlay should have been introduced with the wireless charging I think. I would LOVE to have it in my 2020. 

I heard the new iPhones coming this fall are losing their charging port completely now. It will all be wireless connectivity from then on. Which makes sense why the wireless CarPlay is coming this year. 

• 1 month later...

I have cplay2air and it doesn’t work for me, their customer service sucks, 2 days to get a reply and none of their suggestions worked and they want me to pay shipping back to China and pay an additional $25.00 restocking fee!  

It's not on all HD trims for 2021.

NEW!  Wireless Phone Projection, for Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
Not available o WT or Custom

On LT - Included and only available with (PCM) Convenience Package II or (ZL6) Advanced Trailering Package.

Std on LTZ and HC

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2020 at 9:52 AM, kf9yr said:

It’s called carplay2air

I just received my Carplay2air last week and so far has been working flawless in my 2020 3500hd Denali. I didn’t update to the latest software as was worried it would mess it up but so far has been perfect. It connects automatically every time so far takes about 10-30 seconds to get connected once you turn the radio on.  I love being completely wireless!  

• 3 weeks later...

FINALLY received my carplay2air and so far so good. It occasionally disconnects for some reason but it seems to be at least as reliable as the stock Bluetooth connection on the gm vehicles (not super reliable, and once it disconnected you had to shut off the vehicle and wait for accessory power to go away before restarting). I honestly never used the airplay functionality before because of the stupidity of having to plug it in when I have wireless charging and I have to say it is pretty nice. I use waze a lot while driving (shows most of the law enforcement just before you get to them ? and this puts it on the screen which is great. Also playing podcasts is very simple and much safer to select than staring at my phone while driving. The occasional disconnect seems to be fixed by unplugging the carplay2air unit for about 15 seconds and then reconnecting.

I have had the carplay2air for a while. I used it with my aftermarket Kenwood/Excelon unit on my previous truck and it connected fine but would experience occasional drops while listening to music. When I got my 2020 Silverado, I tried using it and couldn't get it to connect for more than a second before it would drop. I finally deleted my bluetooth connection to the truck's radio and that seemed to solve the connection problem. It doesn't always connect on startup (maybe 80% of the time).  I haven't nailed down the conditions. But, cycling power to the radio seems to get it going. I haven't used it enough to see if I still have the problem of occasional drops listening to music. It's nice when working but far from ready for prime time.

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 9:43 AM, Basketcase said:

This is my biggest gripe with this truck. I own a business and am constantly needing to be on the phone while driving around. My 2017 LTZ would read me my text messages, and I could wait to reply if I wanted. Or if I needed to reply asap I would plug in to CarPlay and go that route. My wireless charging in the armrest needed to be updated for my newer iPhone so I had to plug it in to charge anyways so the CarPlay wasn't such a pain. Now that I have the wireless charging that works so well, I find it a big hassle to plug in my phone only to get messages and such read to me. Like we went downhill from the previous models. I find myself reading my phone more than I ever used to and I really try not to. 

Wireless CarPlay should have been introduced with the wireless charging I think. I would LOVE to have it in my 2020. 

I heard the new iPhones coming this fall are losing their charging port completely now. It will all be wireless connectivity from then on. Which makes sense why the wireless CarPlay is coming this year. 

The only way that makes sense is if they came with a Bluetooth 12 volt wireless charger adapter or something to that nature.  90% of people would not be able to charge their phones in vehicles.  Our 2019 Acadia doesn't even have wireless charging.  The only change that Apple has published regarding charging is that there is a possibility that a lightning charger and cord will not be included with the iphone 12, it will be an extra cost option, to keep phone costs below $700.

Like Eppieguy, I too have a 2019 Silverado 1500, but mine is the Trail Boss LT with the IOS/IOT infotainment system. With great anticipation, I received my CPLAY2air, and while I am having some issues getting the CPLAY2air to work, I am not quite ready to convict the product.

Now I do not generally buy into conspiracy theories, but I did discover something that I think worth passing on.

I decided to consult the 2019 owners manual to read up on the CarPlay feature, however I did not have access to the hard copy in my truck and decided to have a look at the current online version (23400204 D Fourth Printing) at MyChevrolet.com. To my surprise there were "0" hits on keyword "CarPlay" anywhere in the current online version of the owners manual. I thought I had seen it in the owners manual, so I went back to the hard copy in my glove box, as well as a soft copy I downloaded from MyChevrolet last year (both version 84161700 A First Printing), and guess what: there were "26" hits in there.

13 hours ago, dustysilverado said:

Like Eppieguy, I too have a 2019 Silverado 1500, but mine is the Trail Boss LT with the IOS/IOT infotainment system. With great anticipation, I received my CPLAY2air, and while I am having some issues getting the CPLAY2air to work, I am not quite ready to convict the product.

Now I do not generally buy into conspiracy theories, but I did discover something that I think worth passing on.

I decided to consult the 2019 owners manual to read up on the CarPlay feature, however I did not have access to the hard copy in my truck and decided to have a look at the current online version (23400204 D Fourth Printing) at MyChevrolet.com. To my surprise there were "0" hits on keyword "CarPlay" anywhere in the current online version of the owners manual. I thought I had seen it in the owners manual, so I went back to the hard copy in my glove box, as well as a soft copy I downloaded from MyChevrolet last year (both version 84161700 A First Printing), and guess what: there were "26" hits in there.

Did you try the 'Infotainment' manual?