Shift to park message after shut down.

• 4 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Travishs said:

if jumping the switch fixes it then what was the switch designed to control?

It is supposed to tell you if you left your truck in gear.

• 1 month later...

Well I have the same problem with the SHIFT TO PARK Message on my 2019 GMC Denali for a month or two it became very annoying . It wasn't doing it all the time until last week. It also drained my battery and left me stranded. I found the thread on how to by-pass the micro switch and did it. So far so good I hope that GM comes up with a fix for this, there seems to be a lot of GM trucks having this problem. We should not have to pay to fix a problem that is happening in all these vehicles.

• 1 month later...

I have this problem too, so thank you for your posts. The problem had been intermittent, and annoying. And murphy’s law, it didn’t show up when I took the truck to the dealer for the repair; no codes stored in the OBD, and a shockingly un-curious tech who didn’t even try shifting the transmission even a few times where the message definitely would have showed up. I lived with the false messages off and mostly-on for about 9 months, but last night the truck upped the game and drained its battery down to 4v. Typically the truck lights and whatever else was running would time out as if the “accessory” ignition was on then shut off after 20 minutes or so just like it does at a drive-in movie (PITA). Last night, that must not have happened. 

After an overnight on the charger, the battery was good again this morning. However the “shift to park” message still showing after the morning and afternoon commutes.  So, I decided I’d had enough and can’t risk becoming stranded with a dead battery, and disassembled the steering column covers. With the covers off (just 3 hex head screws), the little limit switch on the transmission control assembly was easy to access. With the “shift to park” message active on the instrument cluster, I used a wire to jump the switch, and presto! The truck shut off like it should. I tried a few more times and same result. So I soldered in a temporary fix wire, and I’ll order a replacement shift control assembly.  I realize the micro switch is just a few $, but I just don’t want to deal with the soldering and odd limit arm bend. 

Now, I just wonder what feature disappeared when I jumped the switch.  If there’s something wonky, I’ll follow up this post.  If not, assume no further updates means everything is normal with the switch jumped. 

IMG_5693.jpeg

IMG_5694.jpeg

IMG_5695.jpeg

IMG_5696.jpeg

IMG_5698.jpeg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Scott in Maine said:

I have this problem too, so thank you for your posts. The problem had been intermittent, and annoying. And murphy’s law, it didn’t show up when I took the truck to the dealer for the repair; no codes stored in the OBD, and a shockingly un-curious tech who didn’t even try shifting the transmission even a few times where the message definitely would have showed up. I lived with the false messages off and mostly-on for about 9 months, but last night the truck upped the game and drained its battery down to 4v. Typically the truck lights and whatever else was running would time out as if the “accessory” ignition was on then shut off after 20 minutes or so just like it does at a drive-in movie (PITA). Last night, that must not have happened. 

After an overnight on the charger, the battery was good again this morning. However the “shift to park” message still showing after the morning and afternoon commutes.  So, I decided I’d had enough and can’t risk becoming stranded with a dead battery, and disassembled the steering column covers. With the covers off (just 3 hex head screws), the little limit switch on the transmission control assembly was easy to access. With the “shift to park” message active on the instrument cluster, I used a wire to jump the switch, and presto! The truck shut off like it should. I tried a few more times and same result. So I soldered in a temporary fix wire, and I’ll order a replacement shift control assembly.  I realize the micro switch is just a few $, but I just don’t want to deal with the soldering and odd limit arm bend. 

Now, I just wonder what feature disappeared when I jumped the switch.  If there’s something wonky, I’ll follow up this post.  If not, assume no further updates means everything is normal with the switch jumped. 

IMG_5693.jpeg

IMG_5694.jpeg

IMG_5695.jpeg

IMG_5696.jpeg

IMG_5698.jpeg

See that hole in the bottom of the cover that lines up with the location of the micro switch?  If you put your finger up there when the message is going off, you can push on the little switch lever and the truck shuts off.  It's a stupid fix, but free and it worked until I traded mine in.

• 2 weeks later...

How is this not a safety recall?!?! I have a 2019 RST and this started a year ago and the dealer made me feel like I'm crazy and that they haven't heard of this issue. As I laughed in there faces as I left. Still happening and one of the most annoying sounds ever! 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/20/2021 at 4:22 PM, Danny36 said:

Follow up- I took it into the dealer and they confirmed (and GMC is aware) that there is an issue with the micro-switch (shift lever switch). They replaced the one in my Silverado and said that it has a two year warranty on the part. Part number is 84800776 Description: Control 4.004 N. I have not had the issue since they replaced the micro-switch. Hopefully this helps anyone else that comes across this issue.

so did you replace the whole auto trans control or just the micro switch? dealer ship here is charging me 234 for that control module whcich isn't bad to get a permanent fix but if I can just switch the micro switch from another truck at a junkyard im sure that's a cheaper and easier route.

36 minutes ago, jtap93 said:

so did you replace the whole auto trans control or just the micro switch? dealer ship here is charging me 234 for that control module whcich isn't bad to get a permanent fix but if I can just switch the micro switch from another truck at a junkyard im sure that's a cheaper and easier route.

Someone here posted a link to the micro switches on Amazon.  Just buy a bag of them.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2022 at 3:30 PM, ckdelgado14 said:

Just thought I'd share my quick and easy fix if you are not wanting to run to the dealer or wanting to order a new part. A lot of yall might have one laying around. I pulled off the switch from where it was mounted and used a small zip tie around the micro switch to keep it closed. Have not had an issues since. Bought my 19 TB back in May and this has been an issue since. Hope this helps anyone else!

I appreciate all the advice. I removed the bottom cover and tightened a small ziptie around the microswitch. I did not even have to remove the switch from its mount. Works perfectly now. I'll mention it the next time I take it in for service but won't lose any sleep over it if nothing else is done. Thanks everyone for the diagnosis and fix suggestions.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/2/2021 at 12:17 AM, Chazz Johnson said:

I have a 2019 Silverado, and have had this issue for the past year. The dealers say that GM does not have a fix for it yet.

On 3/4/2021 at 10:20 PM, Jeremiah Martin said:

Looked into it myself after finding this thread.  There is a micro switch under the column that is bad.  I jumped it and the truck shuts off normally. Trying to find the replacement part now. 

PXL_20210303_223740853.jpg

i change the transmission control 

in my new car it broken by the accident

i have the same issue i think this micro sensors the problem or the screws need to be tightened

i have to micro sensors i try to day and i give you the solve 

99499D3B-8333-4C61-9C73-D8A763E23C17.jpeg

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...