All lights mod with selectable fogs

4 hours ago, Ghost Sierra said:

I just want all lights including tasks and cargo lights to come on when I unlock the truck.  

Me too! I looked at the diagrams a few weeks ago, and I couldn't figure out how to make it work. If you could find what made the normal unlock lights come on for the time period you selected in settings, you could theoretically just jump from that source to the Cargo Lamp Relay. However, I'm thinking the BCM does all that timing and telling what lights to come on when the truck unlocks. 

Me too! I looked at the diagrams a few weeks ago, and I couldn't figure out how to make it work. If you could find what made the normal unlock lights come on for the time period you selected in settings, you could theoretically just jump from that source to the Cargo Lamp Relay. However, I'm thinking the BCM does all that timing and telling what lights to come on when the truck unlocks. 

Yeah this would be a BCM programming thing. Wiring it to get it to do what you want would mean those lights would be on anytime the other lights are on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

12 minutes ago, Jav_eee said:

Yeah this would be a BCM programming thing. Wiring it to get it to do what you want would mean those lights would be on anytime the other lights are on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Seems like someone way smarter than me could make a pigtail out of a Raspberry Pi or something that could sense signals from the BCM and do something like this:  when a signal activates the lock actuators and the headlights/other lights at the same time THEN turn on Lights X & Y for 90 seconds or until the truck is shifted out of Park. 

• 3 months later...

Maybe someone can help me out under this string. I'm looking to have control of my task lighting while in drive. I'd like to be able to use the dash switch as supplied if possible. I know boost auto sells the High beam/Task light relay kit; however I don't always need them on and am more looking for the option to use them in drive as needed. I know its possible, I'm just not sure the BCM mysteries. Ground triggered, Diode direction, what cuts them off, etc... I know its got to be a easy   

On 5/24/2020 at 11:07 AM, EXSlider400 said:

Had to disconnect the task light diode as they still turn off when the truck goes to drive. But still have the fog light one in. 

The other issue is that the mirror’s task lights cycle just like pushing the button. So the first time you turn the brights on they both come on...then the next cycle is one side, then the other, then off. So even when you go from bright to dim they don’t change since the action of turning on the brights acts as pushing the task light button. Task light orientation does not reset when turning the light selector knob from auto to manual, but it still resets when the truck is restarted. 

BA6BD968-2F97-49F1-8ABB-83351BA40E60.jpeg

38975605-E23F-415A-9080-AB5A8471C49C.jpeg

DBBBFBD2-573F-4EA7-B846-74E82244C9B3.jpeg

the BCMs coding for the task lights is too restrictive to use the factory input. to get what you want you will need to use a relay energized by the high beams relay control circuit and apply 12V to both of the task light outputs, diode isolate the two outputs though otherwise you'll lose the feature where you can turn on just the left or right light in the stock configuration. the relay will turn both on.

I've been thinking about setting them up to come on constantly on the left/right side whenever the left/right turn signal is active as a cornering light.

On 8/27/2020 at 9:36 AM, jbr1888 said:

Seems like someone way smarter than me could make a pigtail out of a Raspberry Pi or something that could sense signals from the BCM and do something like this:  when a signal activates the lock actuators and the headlights/other lights at the same time THEN turn on Lights X & Y for 90 seconds or until the truck is shifted out of Park. 

I've actually done that sort of thing a couple of times, although use an automotive grade micro controller, not a pi. a pi is too big, too power hungry, and may not be rated for the environment an automotive application subjects it to. I've got a controller in my car and had one in my last truck as well. fun stuff!

what about using a diode to tie the cargo lights to come on with the puddle lights? the puddle lights do not come on while the vehicle is driving, they are not controllable manually by the driver, but they do come on when you hit the unlock and stay on after engine shut down as perimeter lighting when its dark outside.

On 12/1/2020 at 10:38 PM, kodiakdenali said:

I've actually done that sort of thing a couple of times, although use an automotive grade micro controller, not a pi. a pi is too big, too power hungry, and may not be rated for the environment an automotive application subjects it to. I've got a controller in my car and had one in my last truck as well. fun stuff!

what about using a diode to tie the cargo lights to come on with the puddle lights? the puddle lights do not come on while the vehicle is driving, they are not controllable manually by the driver, but they do come on when you hit the unlock and stay on after engine shut down as perimeter lighting when its dark outside.

Kodiak, have you looked at this anymore since this post? 

1 hour ago, jbr1888 said:

I haven't looked into it further, too many other things going on. At some point in the coming months I'll turn my attention to modifying how my truck's lights operate, I have a many point wish list that I hope to implement all at once and in as much a plug and play manor as possible.

4 hours ago, jbr1888 said:

I looked it up, should be feasible

disclaimer: I haven't tested this yet, so please verify before you modify anything. but also be sure to post if you do this!

both signals are +12V signals, so you can use a diode to tie them together.

the puddle lights are controlled by the BCM connector X7, pin 8, GRY/GRN wire, this puts +12V directly to the lower puddle light LEDs in the mirrors.

the exterior cargo lights and interior cargo lights (bed lights) are controlled independently.

exterior cargo lights are activated by a relay which is  controlled by BCM connector X6, pin 26, BRN/WHT wire

even though this wire is a relay control, it looks like it controls the relay with 12V and not ground like is usually the case. the schematics clearly show the relay coil getting one signal from the BCM, the other side is tied to ground.

since the only thing that you would be adding to the puddle lights circuit is a simple relay control, you likely can do this just with a diode, you won't be adding much load at all.

so...theoretically:

A FORWARD biased diode between X7 (gray connector), pin 8 (GRY/GRN) and X6 (pink connector), pin 26 (BRN/WHT) should activate the exterior cargo lights (high mount cargo light and the "hitch" light on the tailgate, but not the bed lights) any time the puddle lights are on. Forward biased means the stripe on the diode should go towards the X6 pin 26 BRN/WHT wire.

for reference if you look at the upfitter manual:

BCM pinout for the puddle lights (BCM connector X7) is on page 7-257 ***note that for some reason the schematic seems to use the term "puddle lights" to refer both to the puddle lights and the task lights, they are not the same, but the manual uses the same name. no idea why, verify this with the schematic page referenced below)

BCM pinout for the cargo lights relay control (BCM connector X6) is on page 7-256 ***note the manual for some reason refers to the cargo light relay as the "standing lamp relay control" which again, you can verify this is the correct wire on the schematic referenced below

the puddle lights schematic is on page 2-35. which shows the puddle lights connected together (left and right) powered by positive voltage from the BCM, X7 pin 8. You can also see the task lights on this schematic. I don't know why the naming inconsistency, but the BCM pinout calls both lights "puddle lights" the schematic uses the terms flood lights lower and flood lights forward for the puddle lights and task lights respectively. at least I think I don't know what else those could possibly be.

cargo lights schematic is on page 2-38, which shows the cargo lamp relay controlled by BCM X6 pin 26 (which the BCM pinout refers to as "standing lamp relay" for some reason)

if you give this a try please reply back to let me know if it worked as expected! keep in mind that depending on the exact model and options its possible some of the above information may not apply to all trucks, by the way mine is a Sierra, the above is from/referencing the Sierra manual. I imagine the silverado is the same, but check that before modifying anything!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, kodiakdenali said:

disclaimer: I haven't tested this yet, so please verify before you modify anything. but also be sure to post if you do this!

the puddle lights are controlled by the BCM connector X7, pin 8, GRY/GRN wire, this puts +12V directly to the lower puddle light LEDs in the mirrors.

the exterior cargo lights and interior cargo lights (bed lights) are controlled independently.

exterior cargo lights are activated by a relay which is  controlled by BCM connector X6, pin 26, BRN/WHT wire

even though this wire is a relay control, it looks like it controls the relay with 12V and not ground like is usually the case. the schematics clearly show the relay coil getting one signal from the BCM, the other side is tied to ground.

since the only thing that you would be adding to the puddle lights circuit is a simple relay control, you likely can do this just with a diode, you won't be adding much load at all.

so...theoretically:

A FORWARD biased diode between X7 (gray connector), pin 8 (GRY/GRN) and X6 (pink connector), pin 26 (BRN/WHT) should activate the exterior cargo lights (high mount cargo light and the "hitch" light on the tailgate, but not the bed lights) any time the puddle lights are on. Forward biased means the stripe on the diode should go towards the X6 pin 26 BRN/WHT wire.

BCM pinout for the puddle lights (BCM connector X7) is on page 7-257 ***note that for some reason the schematic seems to use the term "puddle lights" to refer both to the puddle lights and the task lights, they are not the same, but the manual uses the same name. no idea why, verify this with the schematic page referenced below)

BCM pinout for the cargo lights relay control (BCM connector X6) is on page 7-256 ***note the manual for some reason refers to the cargo light relay as the "standing lamp relay control" which again, you can verify this is the correct wire on the schematic referenced below

the puddle lights schematic is on page 2-35. which shows the puddle lights connected together (left and right) powered by positive voltage from the BCM, X7 pin 8. You can also see the task lights on this schematic. I don't know why the naming inconsistency, but the BCM pinout calls both lights "puddle lights" the schematic uses the terms flood lights lower and flood lights forward for the puddle lights and task lights respectively. at least I think I don't know what else those could possibly be.

cargo lights schematic is on page 2-38, which shows the cargo lamp relay controlled by BCM X6 pin 26 (which the BCM pinout refers to as "standing lamp relay" for some reason)

if you give this a try please reply back to let me know if it worked as expected! keep in mind that depending on the exact model and options its possible some of the above information may not apply to all trucks, by the way mine is a Sierra, the above is from/referencing the Sierra manual. I imagine the silverado is the same, but check that before modifying anything!

DANG! THIS IS AWESOME! THANK YOU! I'll let you know. I'm going to check your math against the diagram, then I'll give it a shot and report back.

• 7 months later...
On 12/8/2020 at 4:36 PM, kodiakdenali said:

so...theoretically:

Anyone try this yet?

• 3 months later...
On 7/21/2021 at 7:55 PM, TheOriginal808 said:

Anyone try this yet?

https://boostautoparts.com/products/high-spot?utm_source=GM+2019%2B+High+Beam+to+Spot&utm_medium=Comment&utm_campaign=YouTube

Boost Autoparts basically did what was previously mentioned and powered a relay. Not a bad price and only takes a few minutes. The diode is easy for the fog mod, but this is a little more to it. 

Edited by EXSlider400

7 hours ago, EXSlider400 said:

https://boostautoparts.com/products/high-spot?utm_source=GM+2019%2B+High+Beam+to+Spot&utm_medium=Comment&utm_campaign=YouTube

Boost Autoparts basically did what was previously mentioned and powered a relay. Not a bad price and only takes a few minutes. The diode is easy for the fog mod, but this is a little more to it. 

I installed this on my 2021 SLT, works as advertised.

• 3 weeks later...