Towing capacity: 9200 lbs
0-60: ~7.0 seconds
1/4: 14.9@92

6.2: 420hp/460tq
Towing capacity: 12,200
0-60: 5.4
1/4 Mi: 13.9@100

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Only have that tow capacity if you have the max tow package, which really isnt that common

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

When I purchased my truck a couple months ago, there was about $1,500 difference between identical trucks.... 1. with the 6.2L and 10 speed, 3.23 gears and 2. with 5.3 and 8 speed, 3.23 gears.  I drove the 6.2L first and never looked back.  For 99% of what I do, would the 5.3 be more than enough?  Absolutely.  But the 6.2 paired with the 10 speed is a dream to drive.  I agree that the transmission should be given as much credit, if not more, than the 6.2 for the power and quickness.  I can also say that towing a 6,500 lbs trailer through the hills of southern missouri was no sweat for the combo (even without the max tow package) and did not have to turn near the RPM's of the 5.3's that I've towed with in the past to maintain speed up long steep hills.  

At the end of the day, drive both and see what you like.  It might be worth it to jump up to the 6.2 or it might not.  That's why we have options.

For what it's worth... I'm 2,800 miles in on the new truck and averaging 18-20 mpg  consistently with a combination of city/highway driving

Good luck with whatever you decide to go with

• Like 2

Only have that tow capacity if you have the max tow package, which really isnt that common

Alright? It's an option. I don't understand what you're trying to say. I should compare a 5.3 with max trailering package to a 6.2 without max trailering package?

• Like 2

I have the 6.2, but had the 5.3 for a week as a loaner. I drove them both under same conditions.

The 5.3 is good. I was surprised and it was a very good engine. Adequate power that I never thought was really lacking in normal driving. I'd say for most people its fine and you wont regret it.

The 6.2 is better. The power difference to me is pretty noticeable, I drive on a lot of one lane country roads and have to pass people frequently and the 6.2 goes from 70 to 100 very quickly and doesn't feel like it's even trying. It's faster off the line also if you have a heavy foot. This engine works better for me because of how I drive and and where I drive. I could get by fine with the 5.3, but the 6.2 just feels better to me and I like the effortless passing and never having to worry about power.

The mpg difference isn't that bad, was probably only 2mpg difference when I was using it. I have a heavy foot and get around 18-18.5 with the 6.2 in mixed driving, low to mid twenties on the highway.

The guy voicing his OPINION that 99% of people with the 6.2 are just trying to justify their purchase is full of it. When you are looking at the trucks that will have the 6.2 as an option you are already spending a lot of money, upgrading generally wont be breaking the bank for most people. If the slight increase in gas you'll pay for premium is that much of a factor, then, yes, go for the 5.3. I highly doubt many people with the 6.2 regret their purchase. For me, the powertrain is probably my favorite part of the vehicle.

• Like 2

you need to pick what is right for you drive both engines! I went in for a 5.3L left with a 2.7L it was better for me, that doesnt mean its better for you. I test drove for awhile before i made the decision, make a list of what is most important to you HP? MPG? Do you plan to keep this truck long term? Will you tow? this is why GM has so many options its a big purchase so there is no cookie cutter method. I searched forums before I bought my truck and watched tons of you tube videos to see what peoples thoughts were. Just my two cents! 

but there is a point the 10 speed is legit I have 8 speed and its legit I bet the 10 speed is even more on point! 

• Like 1

Alright? It's an option. I don't understand what you're trying to say. I should compare a 5.3 with max trailering package to a 6.2 without max trailering package?

Saying you cant blanket statemeny that the 6.2 has a higher tow rating, the majority will not.

• Like 1

Saying you cant blanket statemeny that the 6.2 has a higher tow rating, the majority will not. 

Uhhhh comparing a 5.3 without tow package to 6.2 without tow package still puts the 6.2 ahead in tow capacity. No matter how you look at it, the additional 80ish ftlbs give any optioned 6.2 additional tow rating over a 5.3. I don't understand why you're trying to debate this? Hell comparing a 5.3 WITH the tow package is still behind a 6.2 without it (yes, they are very close or the same in this skewed case, which the 6.2 will likely get the same or better gas mileage due to rear gear at that point)... 

The 6.2 makes more torque everywhere, it makes sense it can tow more...

Only combo I can find where the 5.3 tows more is a 5.3 max trailer package smaller truck vs a Denali 6.2 CC 4WD standard box

Screenshot_20200520-185848_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20200520-185637_Chrome.jpg

3 hours ago, Jonofmac said:

You appear to be one of those people that enjoys talking down to every option that isn't what you have. Nice.

1) a "chipped" 5.3 in 2018 alone gets you 385/413 HP/tq vs the stock 6.2 420/460 HP/tq. So that statement is wrong. Can you modify a 5.3 to make more power? Sure? But you can modify a 6.2 and make more power just as easily. Dumbest comment I've read on this forum...

2) while I don't particularly understand the Babymax option, some people prefer a diesel engine that gets better gas mileage and makes better low end torque.

Why are you saying everyone who buys an AT4 or a 6.2 or a Babymax is an idiot and should've just bought a 5.3 and "chipped it".

We get it, you've got small man syndrome for apparently every option or trim that's more expensive than yours, so everyone that spent more is "having to validate their purchase". It sounds more like you're trying to validate yours by talking down to everyone else and saying everyone else is stupid for buying the 6.2 or 3.0 or the at4.

Are you familiar with the pyschological defense mechanism called projection? 

Trust and believe my bank account looks just fine. Could have left the lot with whatever vehicle I please. Truth be told is I am a frugal MFer, and I chose my truck because I got it for around 30% off MSRP (was a dealer loaner that had 1500 miles already on it) and it had every option that I wanted. My point is that the 6.2 isn't worth more than a couple grand and the placebo effect is much larger than what the Dyno would show, and you are going to have to fill it up with premium for the life of the truck (at 60 cents a gallon that's about $10,000 over 250,000 miles). 65 HP ain't that much. You get several hundred horses from a supercharger lol. And my other point regarding the AT4's is that if you are buying it for off-road capabilities or its suspension, you are clueless. 

Again to each his own, I personally could care less what somebody else drives. I just laugh when I see the circle jerk of guys with 6.2's or AT4's. I'd rather spend the money on a supercharger or a nice suspension if I was going that route but again, different strokes for different folks. The Denali's with the power steps, digital gauges and HUD are nicer as they offer tangible differences in the trim level. Just putting the information out there and folks can make their own decision. Don't shoot the messenger...

And for the guy who compared these to guys with Yeti coolers. Lots of guys with the 65 quart in this thread. LMAO pretty spot on metaphor. I'm sure half of them paid another couple hundred for the seat cushions and the Yeti brand tie downs. Again, to each his own I guess...

Edited by superhighsierra

Are you familiar with the pyschological defense mechanism called projection? 

Trust and believe my bank account looks just fine. Could have left the lot with whatever vehicle I please. Truth be told is I am a frugal MFer, and I chose my truck because I got it for around 30% off MSRP (was a dealer loaner that had 1500 miles already on it) and it had every option that I wanted. My point is that the 6.2 isn't worth more than a couple grand and the placebo effect is much larger than what the Dyno would show, and you are going to have to fill it up with premium for the life of the truck (at 60 cents a gallon that's about $10,000 over 250,000 miles). 65 HP ain't that much. You get several hundred horses from a supercharger lol. And my other point regarding the AT4's is that if you are buying it for off-road capabilities or its suspension, you are clueless. 

Again to each his own, I personally could care less what somebody else drives. I just laugh when I see the circle jerk of guys with 6.2's or AT4's. I'd rather spend the money on a supercharger or a nice suspension if I was going that route but again, different strokes for different folks. The Denali's with the power steps, digital gauges and HUD are nicer as they offer tangible differences in the trim level. Just putting the information out there and folks can make their own decision. Don't shoot the messenger...
Yeah. You're projecting your BS all over this thread.

You've now ignored the "the 6.2s do NOT require premium" comment 3x now. I guess you're too busy projecting how rich and frugal you are while talking down to everyone else to read.
Thanks for your comment!

• Like 2

Uhhhh comparing a 5.3 without tow package to 6.2 without tow package still puts the 6.2 ahead in tow capacity. No matter how you look at it, the additional 80ish ftlbs give any optioned 6.2 additional tow rating over a 5.3. I don't understand why you're trying to debate this? Hell comparing a 5.3 WITH the tow package is still behind a 6.2 without it (yes, they are very close in this skewed case, which the 6.2 will likely get the same or better gas mileage due to rear gear at that point)... 
The 6.2 makes more torque everywhere, it makes sense it can tow more...

You are wrong, without a max trailering package the 6.2 does not give you any additional towing capacity. While it does give you more power it doesnt change the sticker in the door

• Like 3

I'm On my 3rd 6.2 ( 2014 , 2016 and now 2019) and half the time i have put California 87 and never had any issues. 

Maybe during the 3-4 hot summer months i would tend to put more 91 , but most of the time it was a mix of 87 and 91 

Performance was the same , and never once did my trucks ping. 

People never to stop with this 6.2 needs to absolutely have 91+ octane BS , its just not true.  

This aint a high compression forced induction race car , 87 does just fine. 

Edited by f8l vnm

I'm On my 3rd 6.2 ( 2014 , 2016 and now 2019) and half the time i have put California 87 and never had any issues. 
Maybe during the 3-4 hot summer months i would tend to put more 91 , but most of the time it was a mix of 87 and 91 
Performance was the same , and never once did my trucks ping. 
People never to stop with this 6.2 needs to absolutely have 91+ octane BS , its just not true.  
This aint a high compression forced induction race car , 87 does just fine. 

Its 11.5 to 1 compression, technology has made it so this thing can even run on pump gas. 15 years ago that compression would have been race gas territory. While it may run fine because of advanced engine programing, i would bet that it is still detecting knock and pulling timing sometimes. But is it enough to notice, probably not. Engines usually run best right on the edge of detonation, right before they go boom.

• Like 1

Its 11.5 to 1 compression, technology has made it so this thing can even run on pump gas. 15 years ago that compression would have been race gas territory. While it may run fine because of advanced engine programing, i would bet that it is still detecting knock and pulling timing sometimes. But is it enough to notice, probably not. Engines usually run best right on the edge of detonation, right before they go boom.

Maybe I should hook up my torque app and check the timing and knock. Others who run 87 on the 6.2 should do the same. This will help end that argument. No?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro