Check engine light...550 miles. Yippee

Well started my truck (2020 GMC, SLT, 5.3, 10 speed) up tonight and check engine light was on. 550 miles, bought on 4/25.  Not sure if it has anything to do with some sensor but it has been pouring rain all day and SUPER humid today.   Anyway, truck ran fine. Looks like a trip to the dealer on Monday. I traded in a 2005 Ford expedition with 167k miles and it never had a check engine light come on. Haha figures.  Oh well, hopefully its something quick and simple. 

9 hours ago, ArkSierra said:

Well started my truck (2020 GMC, SLT, 5.3, 10 speed) up tonight and check engine light was on. 550 miles, bought on 4/25.  Not sure if it has anything to do with some sensor but it has been pouring rain all day and SUPER humid today.   Anyway, truck ran fine. Looks like a trip to the dealer on Monday. I traded in a 2005 Ford expedition with 167k miles and it never had a check engine light come on. Haha figures.  Oh well, hopefully its something quick and simple. 

If this makes you feel any better..... I had a brand new 2011 Silverado that had a CE light come on within 150 miles of driving off the lot.  Sensor had a bad wire if I recall.  Fixed the first day afterward and I never saw one again on that truck.  Sometimes things happen (or don't happen) at the factory.  Good luck.

Very well could be just a glitch. Not uncommon with these although I would expect it less from a 2020.

I’ve had a couple phantom CELs on my ‘19. Scanned, found the TSBs online relating to the codes and cleared them myself. That was all the TSBs told the dealer to do anyway.

Had the same thing happen to my 2020 Silverado, no issues with the truck, OnStar said it had a bunch of codes, dealer flashed the ecm per a service bulletin and haven’t had an issue since! 

50 miles on my 2020 Silverado RST and had "The Light".....OnStar just told me it was electrical issue, Gee thanks for that. 

Took it in immediately and like above the dealer uploaded some new firmware and have not had any issue since. 

I wouldn't sweat it....let the dealer check the code(s)....more than likely not a big deal. 

Edited by BigMick2020

Did you have the latest software update for the brake control module? This recall just came out in Q1 and I wonder if yours wasn’t updated. Throws an intermittent CEL. 10 minute update at the dealership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Spoiler

5 hours ago, loud_pipes said:

Did you have the latest software update for the brake control module? This recall just came out in Q1 and I wonder if yours wasn’t updated. Throws an intermittent CEL. 10 minute update at the dealership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Well look at you loud_pipes. haha

I assume this is what you are talking about.  Wasn't at the dealer long this morning, this is what the sheet says...

"Found SES light on due to BSCM staying awake after vehicle has been shut down. Updated calibration to brake system control module per doc 5586480 code 28YN42076388"

Edited by ArkSierra

Picked up my 2020 Sierra last week. Drove it home, backed it into the driveway, BOOM check engine light. It had maybe 50 kms on it. 

Onstar sent a report, dealer took it in the next day and it was something related to the ECM and the ABS. They ran a software update, no issues since. It is worth mentioning that the check engine light turned off as I was driving to the dealership. I've put on a few hundred kms on it so far and no issues. Hopefully getting the check engine light issue out of the way super early will mean no more check engine light ever again! LOL