Climate control question

Has anyone noticed the fan never really slows down when the climate control is set to auto? I have a 2020 5.3L and I set the temp to 68 degrees on auto. The fan seems to run excessively fast, the entire time I am in the truck, even after the inside temp has reached the set temp. I did see where you can set the fan speed while using auto climate control to one of three settings, high, medium, low, it doesn’t seem to make much of a difference which one it’s set to. My only issue with it is the fan is awfully loud at this high speed. I didn’t have this issue in my 2017 is why I am asking if this is just the way it is. Thanks for some input!! 

My 2019 RST turns down.  I did notice once when it didn't, but that's because the AC wasn't working, so no matter what the truck did it never reached the cooler temperature.  If you adjust the temp up a few degrees do the fans slow down? Also, if the fans are loud, make sure all your vents are open.  Increased air flow because of a closed vent will make the it sound louder. 

Mine as well does dial back the fan speed when it gets close to the set temp in auto on my RST.  The original post specifics for the truck.  Do you have the passenger side temperature synced to the drivers side?

Thanks for the input. A few more details, the truck is a 2020 Sierra Denali crew cab. I do have sync on. I checked the rear vents and they were closed. After I opened them it did get a little more quiet up front, however, the fan is still going fast and the air noise is still loud. If I turn the temp up a few degrees, the fan does indeed slow down almost stops. This morning the outside temp was 70 I set the climate control temp to 68 on auto, the fan was running at least 3/4 speed. After running about ten minutes it was cold inside and the fan was running at the same speed. I changed the inside temp to 70 and the fan slowed to almost a stop, adjusted the temp to 69 and the fan sped up back to 3/4 speed. In my 2017 this was never an issue. I set the temp to 68 and don’t ever really remember the fan turning fast with the only exception being at start up, for only a few minutes, on a hot day. It always slowed down on its own rather quickly. I’m really just trying to figure out if this is common in the new trucks or if I should make a trip to the dealer. Again, thanks for the input! 

I have never used/tried auto in my truck.  I just turn the temp to where I want it adjust the fan to my liking.  I have never had a truck use auto in a manner that made sense with the fan speed and temp control.  09 Chevy, 13 Tundra, 16 Ram.  I can't remember if my 03 chevy had auto or not....

• Like 2

On 5/13/2020 at 9:24 PM, Nigirian_Prince said:

Has anyone noticed the fan never really slows down when the climate control is set to auto? I have a 2020 5.3L and I set the temp to 68 degrees on auto. The fan seems to run excessively fast, the entire time I am in the truck, even after the inside temp has reached the set temp. I did see where you can set the fan speed while using auto climate control to one of three settings, high, medium, low, it doesn’t seem to make much of a difference which one it’s set to. My only issue with it is the fan is awfully loud at this high speed. I didn’t have this issue in my 2017 is why I am asking if this is just the way it is. Thanks for some input!! 

There is a sensor in the middle of the dash by the windshield that measures inside temp make sure its not covered also 68 is awful low try turning the temp up higher and see if the fan slows down, I don't run mine on auto but the fan slows down once the temp is met.

Edited by Silverado4x4

I’ve noticed that mine is quite aggressive as well. 2020 AT4, so basically the same truck. Related to this, it also appears the temp sensor is out of whack as well. Today, as an example, 60 degree outside temp, according to the truck, set climate to 75 auto and synced, truck starts running the AC on like med-high!  If I continue to raise the temp, it slows down and eventually warms up, but it appears that the sensor is reading a much higher temp than is actually in the cab. 

Just came from a 2017 F-150 Lariat and the auto temp function was perfect. Set to 70-72 and I almost never touched it. This one at 72 is a walk-in freezer with a fan in your face. It’s so far off, something has to be wrong with it. 

Does yours seem accurate, as far as temps go?

9 hours ago, MidWestAT4 said:

I’ve noticed that mine is quite aggressive as well. 2020 AT4, so basically the same truck. Related to this, it also appears the temp sensor is out of whack as well. Today, as an example, 60 degree outside temp, according to the truck, set climate to 75 auto and synced, truck starts running the AC on like med-high!  If I continue to raise the temp, it slows down and eventually warms up, but it appears that the sensor is reading a much higher temp than is actually in the cab. 

Just came from a 2017 F-150 Lariat and the auto temp function was perfect. Set to 70-72 and I almost never touched it. This one at 72 is a walk-in freezer with a fan in your face. It’s so far off, something has to be wrong with it. 

Does yours seem accurate, as far as temps go?

That’s pretty much how mine acts. Example, last week in the morning, according to the truck the outside temp was 58, auto sync temp set to 68, AC was blowing on high for what seemed like quite a while. I raised the temp, but the fan did not start to slow down until I set it to around 73/74 I think you are right, it does seem that the sensor could be the issue?  As I mentioned in an earlier post, my 2017 Sierra climate control was perfect as well. I honestly don’t remember ever adjusting the temp from what I set it to. I think I will contact the dealer.
Let me know if you figure anything out with yours. Thanks for the reply! 

There is a sensor in the middle of the dash by the windshield that measures inside temp make sure its not covered also 68 is awful low try turning the temp up higher and see if the fan slows down, I don't run mine on auto but the fan slows down once the temp is met.

68 is awful low?? Must be nice to live in your climate. 68 degree ac temps down here makes for a borderline uncomfortable drive.

Never had luck with auto ac settings, as stated by another poster above I just set the fan speed to whatever keeps me cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks for the input. A few more details, the truck is a 2020 Sierra Denali crew cab. I do have sync on. I checked the rear vents and they were closed. After I opened them it did get a little more quiet up front, however, the fan is still going fast and the air noise is still loud. If I turn the temp up a few degrees, the fan does indeed slow down almost stops. This morning the outside temp was 70 I set the climate control temp to 68 on auto, the fan was running at least 3/4 speed. After running about ten minutes it was cold inside and the fan was running at the same speed. I changed the inside temp to 70 and the fan slowed to almost a stop, adjusted the temp to 69 and the fan sped up back to 3/4 speed. In my 2017 this was never an issue. I set the temp to 68 and don’t ever really remember the fan turning fast with the only exception being at start up, for only a few minutes, on a hot day. It always slowed down on its own rather quickly. I’m really just trying to figure out if this is common in the new trucks or if I should make a trip to the dealer. Again, thanks for the input! 

There is a sun sensor on the dash. If the sun is too intense it adds fan speed so your skin doesn't get hot. The speed depends on the temp set.

This fan is MUCH louder than my 2003 2500hd. My old 2500 blows harder too.

For 2020 they changed from r134a to the new refrigerant standard. It doesn't cool as well as the old refrigerant that we've had for 24 years. So the fan has to blow harder.

I was actually really upset there is only 5 speed settings for the fan when you adjust it manually. Both speeds 4 and 5 are too loud IMO. My old 2005 avalanche had 8 or 9. (Digital full auto)

I miss my 2003 with only 5 fan speeds but you could infinitely adjust the air direction one click from full feet worked best for me. Full face on speed 5 was like sticking your head out the window. Never used that setting unless it was over 90°.098b9ceeaaec15232274f5be142285b1.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Has anyone figured out how to control the rear vents?  I googled it and found nothing.  There is nothing on the dash or infotainment screen either that gives adjusting the rear vents.  Is it based off the choices of the driver or passenger?  I like it cool, my wife not so much and my kids constantly complain that they are cold in the back....what gives?!  Really love my new Silverado but GM really overlooked this aspect of the climate control.  Am i missing something?

Has anyone figured out how to control the rear vents?  I googled it and found nothing.  There is nothing on the dash or infotainment screen either that gives adjusting the rear vents.  Is it based off the choices of the driver or passenger?  I like it cool, my wife not so much and my kids constantly complain that they are cold in the back....what gives?!  Really love my new Silverado but GM really overlooked this aspect of the climate control.  Am i missing something?

The ones on the center console? They need to manually be closed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1