Would diesel work for me or stick to gas?

I looked, the M2 is $58,900. And has 405-hp engine? That's stupid. Get the Silverado Custom Trail Boss with the 6.2 with 420-hp for $20,000 less.

F-150 Limited costs $67,000, almost twice as much as the already nicely equipped XLT at $34,760, so it's the higher trim levels that help F-150's profitability. It's up to the customers to decide if the $33,000 premium for the nicer trim is worth it. The Tundra starts at $33,000 but you'd be lucky to find a discount as big as Ford's. My first new XLT in 2012 was MSRP'd at $39,000, bought for $29,000. Better gas mileage and more power than Tundra at that time, and $10k cheaper.

And never had problems with it.
Ford stated they make $10,000 profit on every model and trim level that they sell.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, topgear1224 said:

My 2019 RAM 1500 Larmie 5.7 4X4 was 65k MSRP with accessories, 59,995 sticker paid 50k OTD.
with 13,000 miles traded in at $36k.....

Higher trim models don't hold value very well. I see the cheapest 2015 LT 4x4's going for $19,000 to 21,000 while LTZ 4x4's are going for $20,000 to $22,000.

18 minutes ago, topgear1224 said:

Ford stated they make $10,000 profit on every model and trim level that they sell.

Ford didn't say that. Analysts said that Ford makes approximately $10,000 on every truck it sells, depending on exact model and trim level. An XLT discounted at $12,000 didn't make Ford $10,000, I can assure you of that.

• Like 1

Ford didn't say that. Analysts said that Ford makes approximately $10,000 on every truck it sells, depending on exact model and trim level. An XLT discounted at $12,000 didn't make Ford $10,000, I can assure you of that.
XLT aren't discounted $12k by Ford (current is 3,750 when financed with Ford credit) most of that is dealer discount. They play a delicate balance of hold back, credit and interest. The longer a truck remains on the lot the more it cost the dealer to hold that truck and the less they make.

25 minutes ago, topgear1224 said:

But if you're shopping for the Diesel. He's already planning on spending that much.

meaning if you're going to spend that much anyway I think it makes more sense to get the diesel if you're concerned about fuel economy.

Lower-level chargers have open diffs

He even said he's looking at the V6 models as well. I'd go that way as well if I drove on the highway a lot. 

EPA says diesel Silverado with 4x4 gets 29 mpg and petrol Silverado with V6 gets 26 mpg. Three mpg improvement.. for $3,000 more? That's just MSRP, dealers aren't discounting the diesels as much so it's even more. I would not go for it.

If my RST had the V6 version, I would have bought it, but I wanted the extra stuff and $43K for a $54K was hard to pass up.

5 minutes ago, topgear1224 said:

XLT aren't discounted $12k by Ford (current is 3,750 when financed with Ford credit) most of that is dealer discount. They play a delicate balance of hold back, credit and interest. The longer a truck remains on the lot the more it cost the dealer to hold that truck and the less they make.

I didn't say it was discounted by Ford directly, where did I say that? When I said $10k to $12k off, that was with all discounts. I just look in cars.com, pick new 4x4's and then sort it by price, scrolling down to the trim I want. It's consistently $10k to $12k off from ALL manufacturers.

I didn't say it was discounted by Ford directly, where did I say that? When I said $10k to $12k off, that was with all discounts. I just look in cars.com, pick new 4x4's and then sort it by price, scrolling down to the trim I want. It's consistently $10k to $12k off from ALL manufacturers.
"An XLT discounted at $12,000 didn't make Ford $10,000, I can assure you of that."

Ford still made the same money. The dealers are aiming for bonuses at different tiers depending on how many trucks they sell in a month.

8 minutes ago, topgear1224 said:

"An XLT discounted at $12,000 didn't make Ford $10,000, I can assure you of that."
Ford still made the same money. The dealers are aiming for bonuses at different tiers depending on how many trucks they sell in a month.

Sure, Ford made that much after selling a dozen more with some high-end trims costing twice as much.

1 hour ago, Wiggums said:

I buy new trucks almost mainly due to resale value.

My 2008 Mercedes-Benz E350 had 268hp, EPA said 16 city, 22 highway, I was lucky to get 20 on the highway! Bought it at $55,000, traded in for a lousy $21,000.

My 2012 Ford F-150 had 360hp V8, EPA said 17 city, 23 highway, I easily beat that a few times. Bought it at $29,000 (MSRP $39,00), traded in for a decent $24,000.

I regularly get $10k to $12k off the MSRP and enjoy incredible resale. The gas mileage isn't so bad, my F-150 had 4x4, more power, and better gas mileage.

Exactly. I’ve bought so many trucks from my dealership over the years and send them so much business through friends and family they regularly take loses just to put me into a new truck. It’s the only way I can get a new vehicle every 2 years and not lose my ass every time. Besides the fact that I’m 6’6” 300lbs and wouldn’t appreciate being in anything smaller. It’s definitely not because I enjoy or need good gas mileage though.

Edited by Puffer4tw
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Puffer4tw said:

Exactly. I’ve bought so many trucks from my dealership over the years and send them so much business through friends and family they regularly take loses just to put me into a new truck. It’s the only way I can get a new vehicle every 2 years and not lose my ass every time. Besides the fact that I’m 6’6” 300lbs and wouldn’t appreciate being in anything smaller. It’s definitely not because I enjoy or need good gas mileage though.

And nobody believes me how I am able to afford a brand-new $55,000 truck every few years! Ha ha ha ha.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, topgear1224 said:

because of the increased cost at the lower trims it makes way more sense to upgrade trim levels. for instance my Elevation Duramax the way that it's optioned would only be $1,100 more for an SLT same options, with way more standard equipment and leather.

I think that has a lot more to do with the Elevation being overpriced for what you get, rather than the engine selection. An Elevation with the 5.3 is about the same price as an SLT, too. 

• Like 1