Does anyone regret getting/not getting the Z71 package?

As ive gotten lots of info off this forum myself. I can say that I just bought my 2020 RST 4x4 without the Z71 package. I am an avid outdoorsmen and have had many older silverados with the Z71 package. But have I ever used 4lo on them? Maybe once or twice of ownership. Skid plates, shocks, that stuff can be added. And added with a better quality part in my eyes. I opted to get the 5.3 with the max tow package with locking rear and 3.43 gears rather than the standard 3.23. I live in Michigan and we see pretty harsh winters but ive never really utilized the 4lo. Even towing my 1870 bowfishing boat filled with fish. Have always been a 4hi kinda guy.  As far as protection, id rather spend money on quality ceramic coating, ppf, good mud flaps, fender flares etc.

As ive gotten lots of info off this forum myself. I can say that I just bought my 2020 RST 4x4 without the Z71 package. I am an avid outdoorsmen and have had many older silverados with the Z71 package. But have I ever used 4lo on them? Maybe once or twice of ownership. Skid plates, shocks, that stuff can be added. And added with a better quality part in my eyes. I opted to get the 5.3 with the max tow package with locking rear and 3.43 gears rather than the standard 3.23. I live in Michigan and we see pretty harsh winters but ive never really utilized the 4lo. Even towing my 1870 bowfishing boat filled with fish. Have always been a 4hi kinda guy.  As far as protection, id rather spend money on quality ceramic coating, ppf, good mud flaps, fender flares etc.
Honestly, same. I've had 4lo on 3 previous pickups and MAYBE used it twice, total. Anything I'm getting stuck in because my tires aren't cutting it, not the transfer case.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I’m sure what you guys are saying played a part in GM’s decision to cut that cost on non-Z71 trucks. I just remember the poopstorm on here a year or two ago when people found out 4L was not standard on 4x4 trucks anymore. Makes little difference to me personally but I know some people were disappointed.

• Like 1

I've only used it once and was VERY glad I could!

A car was parked a couple inches behind my rear bumper as my front tires leaned against the curb with a brick fence past the curb no more than two feet away. I used the 4L to carefully go over the curb that was about 9 inches high, went back and forth as I turned it around and was able to get out without hitting anything.

Man, I'd be pissed if I needed it and did not have that option!

13 hours ago, OnTheReel said:

I’m sure what you guys are saying played a part in GM’s decision to cut that cost on non-Z71 trucks. I just remember the poopstorm on here a year or two ago when people found out 4L was not standard on 4x4 trucks anymore. Makes little difference to me personally but I know some people were disappointed.

Actually this was one of the factors that drove me to get a Ram. You can't call a truck a 4x4 without 4lo. We have a name for that setup, it's called "AWD". My impression of the 2019 is that GM was nickle and diming us to death. Basic interior, no 4 lo, no adjustable foot pedals, no panaromic sunroof (though it's too pricey for me anyway) Oh, and if you want the good engine (6.2), you need to pay a heck of a lot more for a truck to get you into a package that finally gives you the 6.2, but then I don't want to pay for all the frills in that package, I just want a pretty basic truck with my choice of engine + transmission. With Ram, it feels like you can get whatever engine you want in whatever trim.

And then they wanted 10,000 more for the "same truck" that I got, only the GMC was still only a work truck with black bumpers and vinyl floors.

Was totally disgusted and bought a ram. So yeah, GM needs to watch what they cut out in the name of cost cutting. I do like many variants of the GM twins (Trailboss with 6.2, AT4 with Diesel etc); but realistically I can't afford them and they just p____d me off too much with the forced packaging and features and cost.

No regrets with my Ram, other than I might need a bigger motor, so I'm "thinking" again and browsing the competitions forums :)

1 hour ago, the wanderer said:

Actually this was one of the factors that drove me to get a Ram. You can't call a truck a 4x4 without 4lo. We have a name for that setup, it's called "AWD". My impression of the 2019 is that GM was nickle and diming us to death. Basic interior, no 4 lo, no adjustable foot pedals, no panaromic sunroof (though it's too pricey for me anyway) Oh, and if you want the good engine (6.2), you need to pay a heck of a lot more for a truck to get you into a package that finally gives you the 6.2, but then I don't want to pay for all the frills in that package, I just want a pretty basic truck with my choice of engine + transmission. With Ram, it feels like you can get whatever engine you want in whatever trim.

And then they wanted 10,000 more for the "same truck" that I got, only the GMC was still only a work truck with black bumpers and vinyl floors.

Was totally disgusted and bought a ram. So yeah, GM needs to watch what they cut out in the name of cost cutting. I do like many variants of the GM twins (Trailboss with 6.2, AT4 with Diesel etc); but realistically I can't afford them and they just p____d me off too much with the forced packaging and features and cost.

No regrets with my Ram, other than I might need a bigger motor, so I'm "thinking" again and browsing the competitions forums :)

I did go from a Ram Rebel (2016 w/ 5.7) to a 2020 TB with 6.2 and 10sp.  Big improvement in that setup with power, shifting and slightly better mpg.  Some of the other features are behind Ram but I am happy with my choice.

Edited by blckblt
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, blckblt said:

I did go from a Ram Rebel (2016 w/ 5.7) to a 2020 TB with 6.2 and 10sp.  Big improvement in that setup with power, shifting and slightly better mpg.  Some of the other features are behind Ram but I am happy with my choice.

Yep, I think GM has the better drivetrains, though I'd still prefer the 5.7 hemi over the 5.3. But I'd prefer the 6.2 over the 5.7, and the DMax over the ED, and definitely the 10 speed over the ZF 8 (though nothing wrong with the ZF, it's a great gearbox, but 2 extra gears is 2 extra gears).

• Like 1

i had a ram 2015 eco. think twice about an oil burner... DEF is a pain... and diesel is more money and harder to find when you are empty. had a couple of VW oil burners too. when gas is four bucks you can probably break even... the gm gas v8 is hard to beat on long term economics of fueling, maintaining and repairs...

i have the z71 now... rough riding.. and not engaged low range once yet..
The 3.0 dmax, from what i can tell, is far cheaper to maintain than the dodge eco. And i dont know why DEF is a pain for you, but here we can pull up to a pump and get it in bulk, fills up the same as a gas tank. Diesel may be about 30 cents more per gallon but i get nearly 10 mpg more than i did with my 5.3.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, ullose272 said:

The 3.0 dmax, from what i can tell, is far cheaper to maintain than the dodge eco. And i dont know why DEF is a pain for you, but here we can pull up to a pump and get it in bulk, fills up the same as a gas tank. Diesel may be about 30 cents more per gallon but i get nearly 10 mpg more than i did with my 5.3. 

Yes until 125K miles when it comes time to drop the transmission to replace the back belt. "Pickup Truck + SUV Talk" channel on YouTube just interviewed the lead engineer on that engine yesterday, he talks about the process and why they picked a belt etc. But definitely add the cost of that operation every 125K, because that ain't going to be cheap.

Edited by the wanderer

i am not a fan of the ranchos as well but here is my thought.....i probably would get a Z71 for benefits of transfer case and just switch out the shocks....you can get a decent set for relatively cheap....a lot of guys lift their trucks so replacing the shocks has to be done anyway.....even if left stock you can get a set of eibachs or bilsteins for under $500, or even kyb, Monroe or AC Delcos…..

wouldn't really bother me either way but if a truck had everything else the shocks are an easy fix

I did turn down a Z71 though....it had the 2k (z71)pkg and some other goodies i didn't want or need but they wanted full MSRP.....if they would have made a deal i would have bought it

Edited by Dunn

Yes until 125K miles when it comes time to drop the transmission to replace the back belt. "Pickup Truck + SUV Talk" channel on YouTube just interviewed the lead engineer on that engine yesterday, he talks about the process and why they picked a belt etc. But definitely add the cost of that operation every 125K, because that ain't going to be cheap.

I think the minimum service life is 150k, if i had to guess, i bet there will be a bunch of people that push them well past that, much like people do with timing belts. Reguardless, i will either have a different truck by then, do it myself, or there will be plenty of people that will be guinea pigs and we will see how long they really last.

On 5/12/2020 at 10:14 AM, OnTheReel said:

Locking rear diff is standard on higher trims, and comes in a lot of other packages on the lower ones (all star, max trailering, etc.)...so the vast majority of trucks you find “in the wild” have G80, with or without Z71. I agree it’s an important feature though.

AT tires can also be ordered separate without Z71.

yes a lot of the trucks come with the G80.....since i went to 2WD that was a must for me

I did get through 4 winters in rocky mountains with a 2WD ford courier, studded tires and 2 manhole lid covers in bed....amazing the places i went in that truck (not to say a 4x4 wouldn't have made my life easier, lol)

• Like 1