6.2L or Baby Duramax

4 hours ago, ullose272 said:

Just called a dealer that has it $7.64 a quart for ac delco dexos d

That's about what I paid for it from dealer.

9 hours ago, newdude said:

Only the big HD duramax has the 5yr/100k.  The 1500 and Colorado/Canyon are 5yr/60k powertrain.  

Some more misinformation, I'm done with this thread. Has seemed to have turned into a he said she said kind of thing in which EVERYONE seems to know it all. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Booger T said:

Some more misinformation, I'm done with this thread. Has seemed to have turned into a he said she said kind of thing in which EVERYONE seems to know it all. 

Dude.  Chill.  I made a simple error.  GOD FORBID WE DO THAT AS WE ARE HUMAN.  I fixed my post.  Ya happy now Mr Information?    

Edited by newdude
  • Like 4

17 hours ago, Booger T said:

Takes his ball and goes home..............

• Like 1

DEF, a limited life DPF and an EGR that’ll clog soon enough, and frequent fuel filter changes although they’re not as pricey as the bigger diesels...

Maybe I need a 3.0 instead of a 6.2...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
You are aware that the 3.0 uses a cooled EGR system that pulls EGR after the DPF so it literally has no soot soot in it or anything to make it clog. Only during warm-up does it use the high temperature EGR. After 140° it uses the filtered EGR.

The fuel filter is only $70 AND has a sophisticated minder system that actually knows the health of the filter. It isn't just based on mileage it's based on fuel quality as well as filter performance.

He uses the 2.7 L oil filter so there's no real cost increase there. Take 6 quarts of dexos D which is under $7 a quart for ACdelco.

the DPF is located immediately after the manifold meaning it's less likely to clog. they also use the high pressure fuel injectors on the exhaust stroke meaning that it's not just dumping fuel into the DPF it's actually measured.

The PCV system has a built-in catch can that uses centrifugal force to separate the oil out, so only clean air enters the air intake.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Why not have your cake and eat it too. Get an LT with the diesel off road package.

3.73, 10speed and the 3.0. same MPG and towing as the 3.23 trucks. But MUCH better loaded performance. And if you are gonna put big tires on it, it will still get 27mpg on the highway. I average 33mpg at 55mph, my 3.23 truck doesn't even engage 10th gear till 70mpg.

Towing with the 3.23 is crap no matter the engine.

No need to worry about the whole "work it hard BS" unless your commute is less than 10 minutes it will be completely fine. That saying comes from low temp DPF regens. The 3.0 uses post combustion injection and has the DPF literally on the manifold so heat isn't an issue.

Since capacity is the same for 5.3, 6.2, and 3.0 without Max tow. Why deal with 16-17mpg??

If you tow every other weekend, RST double cab 6.2 max tow. Will keep up with 3/4 tons. 13,400 lbs capacity, 2050lb payload. 19,100 GCWR.

On 5/4/2020 at 1:33 PM, steve841 said:

I owned a 19 with the 6.2L and now a 20 with the the 3L Duramax.

Here's the simple of it:

6.2L beast of an engine. Fast as hell. Sucks fuel.  Did I mention it SUCKS FUEL? And likes premium on top of that.

3.0L Sweet smooth diesel and only sips fuel compared to the 6.2.  Not obnoxiously loud.  Only downside, DEF.

So, unless you're holeshotting every light. Racing other folks up the highway, the diesel is king.  Tows pretty much the same amount and less visits to the gas station.

The only reason the 6.2L sucks fuel is because you can't keep your foot out of it.  It's too much fun.

As for towing... the 3.0L is not even close.  9,300lb vs 13,400lb is NOT "pretty much the same".  I guess an 8' 2x4 that is really only 5'6" is "pretty much the same.  ?

The only reason the 6.2L sucks fuel is because you can't keep your foot out of it.  It's too much fun.
As for towing... the 3.0L is not even close.  9,300lb vs 13,400lb is NOT "pretty much the same".  I guess an 8' 2x4 that is really only 5'6" is "pretty much the same.  [emoji848]
3.0 and 6.2 non max tow (dealers don't like stocking max tows because they ride rougher, dealers like shiny things that draw people in...... Like 22 inch chrome wheels) tow the same 9k ish lbs.

• Like 2

As for towing... the 3.0L is not even close.  9,300lb vs 13,400lb is NOT "pretty much the same".  I guess an 8' 2x4 that is really only 5'6" is "pretty much the same.  [emoji848]
Max tows are few and far between, like said above dealers dont stock many, most are preorder trucks.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

19 hours ago, topgear1224 said:

Why not have your cake and eat it too. Get an LT with the diesel off road package.

3.73, 10speed and the 3.0. same MPG and towing as the 3.23 trucks. But MUCH better loaded performance. And if you are gonna put big tires on it, it will still get 27mpg on the highway. I average 33mpg at 55mph, my 3.23 truck doesn't even engage 10th gear till 70mpg.

Towing with the 3.23 is crap no matter the engine.

No need to worry about the whole "work it hard BS" unless your commute is less than 10 minutes it will be completely fine. That saying comes from low temp DPF regens. The 3.0 uses post combustion injection and has the DPF literally on the manifold so heat isn't an issue.

Since capacity is the same for 5.3, 6.2, and 3.0 without Max tow. Why deal with 16-17mpg??

If you tow every weekend, RST double cab 6.2 max tow. Will keep up with 3/4 tons. 13,400 lbs capacity, 2050lb payload. 19,100 GCWR.

You obviously don’t tow heavy, the difference between half ton and three quarter ton towing is night and day, max tow included. My truck  weighs 8,000 lbs, your half ton, what- 4,500 lbs,  can yank that weight, 13,000 lbs, but it’s a white knuckle affair. 

You obviously don’t tow heavy, the difference between half ton and three quarter ton towing is night and day, max tow included. My truck  weighs 8,000 lbs, your half ton, what- 4,500 lbs,  can yank that weight, 13,000 lbs, but it’s a white knuckle affair. 

The truck I referenced weighs 5400....

Ya if you tow every single day a 3/4 ton makes a ton more sense (I assume you are making money from towing) but if you just tow heavy once or twice a month for recreational use. why would you deal with what 12 MPG highway. don't forget because 3/4 tons can literally make you money with ease (snowplow, landscaping, hotshot, etc.) the parts are more expensive than 1/2 ton parts.

I have a 2003 2500HD with the 8.1L/Allison combo. Rated at 20k GCWR. The the specific truck I referenced matches it's capability blow for blow.

Remember the 1500HD?? The 6.2 RST extended cab max tow special is like a modern version, yet tows 3k extra.

I weighed 19,100 combined. Nashville to PHX, PHX to Denver, Denver finally to Alaska. I'm well versed in towing. Hell my work truck has 155K GCWR.

The new Chevy max tows are monsters when it comes to Towing, would I recommended supplemental airbags if you're going to max out the payload? of course.

But this notion that they somehow can't keep up with the 3/4 tons from just a couple of years ago is false. especially if it's your only vehicle, you have to daily drive it and you don't tow for a living.

That's like saying you NEED an F-450 to tow your 10000 pound trailer 20 miles to the beach 3 times a year..... and if you're having a white-knuckle experience towing rated capacity, then you did not load your trailer properly.

• Like 2

Like I said, it can pull it, but it’s no where near as stable going down the road. It gets pulled around by the load more, instead of you pulling the load. 
My 03 2500hd only weighs 1k more full of fuel than my 2020 1500 and pulled the GCWR fine.

What 3/4 ton do you own that weighs 8k empty? For reference a 2019 F-450 4x4 crew cab long bed weighs 8,500lbs curb.

Don't forget the new Chevy 1500 trucks don't have blocks underneath their springs, so are much more stable laterally under load.

I will state again if your load is pulling you around YOU did not load the trailer properly.

Either too much or, if the trailer is whipping you around, too little tongue weight. You also need all axles handling the load that's why weight distribution on the trailer is key.

***Handling issues while Towing is almost always (at least with leaf sprung trucks) set up related.

-You have match the hitch height to the level tongue height of your loaded trailer.

-You have to drive over the scales empty and loaded to ensure you have the proper tongue weight (10-15% on bumper pull) you should also check individual tire weights on the scale as well. You also need per axle weights empty and loaded to ensure your front axle is not being excessively unloaded by the trailer, and that all your axles are taking the load.

from there you set up your weight distribution.

_________

I towed 5600 lb with a 1996 Ford ranger 4.0 4x4 (3700 curb) PHX to Nashville. that load did not pull me around at all. the truck was actually incredibly stable, it squatted quite a bit (no air assist) but it was incredibly stable. Proper setup goes a LONG way.

Don't forget the new trucks are rated to the SAE J2807 standard, which includes a handling test for understeer and sway at GCWR.

• Like 1

There's so many variables that come into play in deciding the pros and cons of each engine choice for each person's specific application needs.

As for towing, the max tow capacity is only one factor in deciding between the two engines. And really when having a need that borders on that maximum capacity the choice is probably more clear, or even bring a 2500 into play. For the vast majority of individuals wanting a 1500 and using it to tow, the max capacity is overkill and likely doesn't ever come into play. Who cares if one can tow 13,000 lbs if you're never pulling anything more than 6,000? Which truck performs better at the weight ranges (and unloaded) that you need? 

Edited by Duramax3oh
  • Like 1