6.2L or Baby Duramax

12 hours ago, ullose272 said:

The oil changes will cost roughly the same

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Spec'd as Dexos 2.  Last I looked, it was double the price per quart.  

3.0 dmax should take dexosD oil. Which cant seem to find anywhere. Regardless, ive always used mobil 1 in my vehicles so i doubt the cost is much different.

13 minutes ago, ullose272 said:

3.0 dmax should take dexosD oil. Which cant seem to find anywhere. Regardless, ive always used mobil 1 in my vehicles so i doubt the cost is much different.

Hahah.  Just wait.  The Dexos2 M1 for the 2.8 D-max was $10-$12 a quart.  Doubt the new spec DexosD will be cheaper. 

13 hours ago, Booger T said:

I like how some on here are experts on the 3.0 and don't even own one or no anything about them except for something they heard from someone else that thinks that they are also experts?

The reason some us don't own the 3.0 is because we've done our due diligence and thoroughly researched its pros and cons.  So just because we don't own one doesn't mean we're unknowledgeable or ignorant about them.

• Like 2

The reason some us don't own the 3.0 is because we've done our due diligence and thoroughly researched its pros and cons.  So just because we don't own one doesn't mean we're unknowledgeable or ignorant about them.
What are the cons?

What are the cons?

It’s cons with modern day diesels that suffer from EPA crap, not specifically the 3.0. In my opinion, anyway. Maybe he has other reasons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ullose272 said:

What are the cons?

Besides the 150,000 mile service interval for replacing the oil pump belt, which requires dropping the transmission?  First of all, it's a clean sheet design, so first year owners are essentially guinea pigs.  Remember all the problems Ram had when their 3.0 came out?  Then there's DEF and regen and all the problems associated with that.  And diesels aren't made to be driven short distances, so unless you have a long commute, you're killing the engine with short trips.  In the end, I decided to go with the 6.2L, since I tow and the 5.3 really proved to be inadequate while an HD was overkill for my trailer.  After 16,500 miles and lots of towing I am totally satisfied that I made the correct choice.  

• Like 1

It’s cons with modern day diesels that suffer from EPA crap, not specifically the 3.0. In my opinion, anyway. Maybe he has other reasons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I get what you are saying, but i feel the way GM designed it will work better for the dpf/egr. With the dpf very close to the turbo outlet, it will get to temp easier and stay cleaner. Also you look at the HD trucks, the engine is way over powered for a daily driver, so it doesnt have much load and doesnt produce much heat when daily driving. But the 3.0 is less than half the size, is loaded more and should have higher unloaded egts. My 3.0 warms up as fast as my 5.3 did. Time will tell, but i think it will be a good combination. Gone are the days of 300,000 mile maintenance free diesels tho.

• Like 1

Besides the 150,000 mile service interval for replacing the oil pump belt, which requires dropping the transmission?  First of all, it's a clean sheet design, so first year owners are essentially guinea pigs.  Remember all the problems Ram had when their 3.0 came out?  Then there's DEF and regen and all the problems associated with that.  And diesels aren't made to be driven short distances, so unless you have a long commute, you're killing the engine with short trips.  In the end, I decided to go with the 6.2L, since I tow and the 5.3 really proved to be inadequate while an HD was overkill for my trailer.  After 16,500 miles and lots of towing I am totally satisfied that I made the correct choice.  
The V8s arent without issues either, i used to be a gm tech and still friends with some of them, my wifes 6.2 has had to have a camshaft replaced at 55k and its a common issue that according to my freinds hasnt gone away.

1 hour ago, bshort said:

The 3.0L requires Dexos D,   not Dexos2

Weight is 0W-20. 

Holds 7 qt, so less than the 8 qts of the 5.3 and 6.2 and less than the 10 qt for the 6.6 dmax.

But it could be double per quart.  Currently only 2 oils are listed as meeting the DexosD spec.

http://www.gmdexos.com/

ACDelco Light Duty Diesel    General Motors    dexosD™    0W-20    DD0751IA015    Global
Mobil Super 3000 XE2    ExxonMobil Oil Corp.    dexosD™    0W-20    DD0752IA015    Global

As an aside, and FWIW, the 6.6L dmax uses 15W-40 meeting CJ/CK spec.

It does NOT use any version of Dexos spec oils.

1 hour ago, bshort said:

Hahah.  Just wait.  The Dexos2 M1 for the 2.8 D-max was $10-$12 a quart.  Doubt the new spec DexosD will be cheaper. 

More inaccurate comments ...  6 Qt kit .. I bought for the wife's 2.8.  My math aint great but thats $9.00 per qt of synthetic oil.  Nothing outrageous about that.  

Mobil 1 124044 ESP 5W-30 Full Synthetic Motor Oil, 6 Quarts

Average rating:0out of5stars, based on0reviewsWrite a review
$53.66

• Like 1

As for the 3L ..  Mobil 1 Synthetic $10.00 qt ... there's a life changer.  Dexos D certified.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mob-125386

https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants/for-personal-vehicles/our-products/products/mobil-1-esp-x2-0w-20/

Edited by steve841
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, AlaskaErik said:

I will respectfully disagree with you on that statement as I believe most of the info that everyone is getting is pure hearsay.