6.2L or Baby Duramax

2 hours ago, steve841 said:

In my neck of the woods, diesel is 2.55ish and premium is 3.10ish ...  The 6.2L wants premium AND gets 25-40% worse mileage.  I think the trade-off is well justified in favor of the diesel.

I just paid $2.00 for premium the other day in Alaska.  $3.10 sounds awfully high.  Diesel is $1.89.

Edited by AlaskaErik
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, djones208 said:

Wow, appreciate all the replies. I have to say I am leaning towards the 3.0 but actually having a hard time finding one optioned how I want. I just don't want to end up in a 6.2 with 33s getting worse mpg that my current 5.3.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Buddy, you are going to get worse mileage with the 6.2 anyway because you aren't going to be able to keep your foot out of it. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Tsengle86 said:

Has anyone been able to find a LT or RST with the 6.2L and Max Trailering package?! Seems to be a damn unicorn for me and I’m torn between that or a baby diesel with the Z71 off road package..any help is appreciated. Trying to find the new best tow rig for my Hallett 240 and somewhat daily driver out in SoCal emoji1360.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only LT you can get with the 6.2 is a trail boss.  The trail boss towing maxes out at 9400lb regardless of the engine.  Actually, the 5.3 TB is rated to tow 100lb more than the 6.2 TB.

https://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam/chevrolet/na/us/english/index/vehicle-groups/trailering-and-towing/trucks/02-pdfs/2020-chevrolet-trailering-guide.pdf

12 hours ago, Tsengle86 said:

Has anyone been able to find a LT or RST with the 6.2L and Max Trailering package?! Seems to be a damn unicorn for me and I’m torn between that or a baby diesel with the Z71 off road package..any help is appreciated. Trying to find the new best tow rig for my Hallett 240 and somewhat daily driver out in SoCal emoji1360.png

After a quick Google search (please correct me if I am wrong) I see that your boat is about 4300lb.  With fuel and the trailer it is about 6700lb.  You really don't need the max trailering package.  The 5.3 or 3.0 will do you just fine.  I don't blame you for wanting it (we all have our wants and desires) but you would be perfectly fine without it at that weight.  

Edited by paracutin

For 2020, NHT (Max Tow) is only available on L84 or L87 engines. (5.3L and 6.2L)

(not available on 3.0...)

With the new trucks, tow mirrors (if desired) are ordered separately -- it's no longer necessary to order max tow to get the mirrors factory installed. 

FWIW, tow mirrors were not available on 1500's for 2019 model year.

• Like 1

The only LT you can get with the 6.2 is a trail boss.  The trail boss towing maxes out at 9400lb regardless of the engine.  Actually, the 5.3 TB is rated to tow 100lb more than the 6.2 TB.

https://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam/chevrolet/na/us/english/index/vehicle-groups/trailering-and-towing/trucks/02-pdfs/2020-chevrolet-trailering-guide.pdf

98d61dd5c3590d0227ff9eebf73129c7.jpg
Based on this from Chevy it shows the 6.2 is available on the Custom TB and the RST but I’ve been unable to find one.

And ya the boat with the trailer is about 5500 pounds when I tow it dry. Guess I could survive with the 5.3L but hate the thought of it struggling. Currently have a 2005 Suburban 2500 with the 8.1L and 4:10 gears [emoji56]

15 minutes ago, Tsengle86 said:

98d61dd5c3590d0227ff9eebf73129c7.jpg
Based on this from Chevy it shows the 6.2 is available on the Custom TB and the RST but I’ve been unable to find one.

And ya the boat with the trailer is about 5500 pounds when I tow it dry. Guess I could survive with the 5.3L but hate the thought of it struggling. Currently have a 2005 Suburban 2500 with the 8.1L and 4:10 gears emoji56.png

I always forget about the Custom TB being available with the 6.2.  Doesn't really matter though as the TB is limited to 9400lb because of the suspension. RST is a higher trim than LT.

You will not struggle in SoCal with that load.  Maybe in Colorado but not SoCal.  

To match the pulling power of your current rig you need to be looking at a 2500 not a 1500.  No 1500 will feel even close to the same.

My 2020 TB is a crew cab standard bed with tow mirrors.  Darn near a unicorn.  When looking for my truck, I used cars.com and autotrader.com.  Tow mirrors were on one out of every 400 trucks I looked at.  The standard bed crew cab was even more rare.   

Edited by paracutin
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, paracutin said:

After a quick Google search (please correct me if I am wrong) I see that your boat is about 4300lb.  With fuel and the trailer it is about 6700lb.  You really don't need the max trailering package.  The 5.3 or 3.0 will do you just fine.  I don't blame you for wanting it (we all have our wants and desires) but you would be perfectly fine without it at that weight.  

My travel trailer is about 5500 lbs and my 2016 5.3 struggled up hills.   And the six speed temps went over 200°.  If I was towing 6700 lbs I would not do it with a 5.3 unless it was all flat terrain.  Granted, the new models have an 8 or 10 speed, but the 5.3 isn't the best tow motor out there.  My 6.2/10 speed is a massive improvement when it comes to towing.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AlaskaErik said:

My travel trailer is about 5500 lbs and my 2016 5.3 struggled up hills.   And the six speed temps went over 200°.  If I was towing 6700 lbs I would not do it with a 5.3 unless it was all flat terrain.  Granted, the new models have an 8 or 10 speed, but the 5.3 isn't the best tow motor out there.  My 6.2/10 speed is a massive improvement when it comes to towing.

I guess that all depends on ones definition of "hills".  You are from Alaska. I am from central Illinois.  You can stand on a phone book and see Indiana or Missouri from where I'm at.  LOL!

Remember, it's not just the weight.  Aero drag is huge with a travel trailer.  Not so much with his v-hull fiberglass boat.  It sits lower than the truck.