OnStar Cost $14.99 Per Month On New Truck

My early 2018's have the free 5 year coverage.....2019 only 3 months.   Factory Nav,  200+ albums on USB chips and Bluetooth and inductive charger for cell phone so I don''t need OnStar or a USB connection cord either.

But I do have a basic connection OnStar plan for $5/mo./vehicle for use of the vehicle cell phone when I leave mine home''

Somewhere (on this board?) I read that you can add the cell phone in the vehicle under your AT&T (maybe others)  cell phone carriers as an additional phone with the same unlimited calling and WIFI plan.....mentioned a pass through had to be linked by OnStar, but there was no additional charge for this service

On 5/2/2020 at 4:35 PM, unit said:

I received an email from OnStar today with a notice that OnStar was running out on my 2020 Silverado 2500HD.  I called the number listed in the email and was told that price for using the My.Chevrolet app on my phone is now $14.99 per month.  I told the tech that I was under the impression that the app was free for the first five years and he said that GM had changed from free to the price stated.  I'm more than a little flabbergasted and pretty angry over this fee.  I have a 2019 Ford F-150 with the Ford Pass app and it's free for the life of the truck.  I can live without the convenience the app provides but I'm pretty sure my next car or truck won't be a GM if this isn't corrected.

The 5 year remote app free access stopped starting the 2019 model year.  

Edited by newdude

The gripe I have is this... have had two GMC Sierra's in a row, 2014 and 2016, both with the app to use for free, and now I upgraded to a 2020 Sierra in which they removed the use of the app. I understand trying to save money, but I believe loyal customers should not be punished and get a feature taken away for upgrading. If you want to eliminate it for new customers, so be it, but take care of your loyal ones...

I wanted to see what others had to say before I made any further comments on this.  In the end, it's about competition.  GM has to compete in what is arguably the most competitive automotive market there is.  I have two new trucks, one is a 2019 Ford F-150 that I really like, and the other is a 2020 Silverado 2500HD that I also like.  I chose each because they best suited my needs at the time I bought them.  The Ford offers free FordPass for as long as I own the truck.  GM says I need to pay them $150.00 per year for the same service - that's $750.00 for five years.  My wife just bought a new Cadillac XT4 - another $750.00 for five years.  That's not pocket change and it doesn't matter what discounts I might be able to bargain for - it's not going to sell cars.  We, the wife and I, won't be using the GM app for any price.  I can do just fine without it - although I'd rather have it.  But when I purchase another car or truck, GM won't be in the selection process.  Could be a Toyota or Nissan or Ford or RAM.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you need a data plan for the online nav? what if I join the truck to my mobile hotspot on wifi?

The problem with onstar is they are paying the base connection fee for all the trucks - they do that so they can get all the data they take from you, and cover their costs when they sell it to others (anonymized according to their privacy policy). 

So the remote plan, for $15/month lets me use what might amount to maybe 2MB of data a month.  At Google Fi's incremental $10/Gb for example (using the same network) that's like a 7500% markup.  I realize onstar also has to operate some other services on the back end, but much of that is also subsidized by their data harvesting of me. 

16 minutes ago, ChuckTaylor said:

Do you need a data plan for the online nav? what if I join the truck to my mobile hotspot on wifi?

The problem with onstar is they are paying the base connection fee for all the trucks - they do that so they can get all the data they take from you, and cover their costs when they sell it to others (anonymized according to their privacy policy). 

So the remote plan, for $15/month lets me use what might amount to maybe 2MB of data a month.  At Google Fi's incremental $10/Gb for example (using the same network) that's like a 7500% markup.  I realize onstar also has to operate some other services on the back end, but much of that is also subsidized by their data harvesting of me. 

No data plan required for the built-in nav.  (unless you want the online traffic portion)

No built in nav required if you're going to use CP or AA to run google maps navigation.

You can run google maps using pre-downloaded maps -- so they can be downloaded using home or public wi-fi instead of phone data. 

This link shows what is free, and what is included at the various price points. 

https://www.onstar.com/us/en/plans-pricing/compare-plans/

For many, the annoying part of the mid-model year 18 change is change than means remote start using cell phone now requires at least the $15 plan. 

Unlimited data and connected version of nav are in the $40 plan. (also adds turn-by-turn navigation....)

Edited by redwngr

2 minutes ago, redwngr said:

No data plan required for the built-in nav.  (unless you want the online traffic portion)

The online part is what I am wondering - if the truck is connected to a hotspot, does it get the traffic/etc... without a plan?  I am still on my 3GB trial so I cannot test.

56 minutes ago, ChuckTaylor said:

The online part is what I am wondering - if the truck is connected to a hotspot, does it get the traffic/etc... without a plan?  I am still on my 3GB trial so I cannot test.

I don't think I've heard of anyone doing it, and I haven't tried.

When I think I might want traffic info I plug the phone in and use google maps.

I received an email from GM today asking me to take a survey about OnStar and the MyChevrolet app, which I gladly did.  OnStar holds no interest for me but I do like the app and remote features offered by the app.  I was able to add a few words explaining that while I thought the app was worthwhile, I would not be paying extra for it.  I hope someone at GM listens and they decide to compete head to head with Ford's app, which is a free service.

• Like 1

Ford's FordPass is free for now, just like OnStar used to be. Once it gets in more vehicles and gains in popularity, I'm pretty sure there will be a charge. I signed up for the $15/mo unlimited data when they had that promotion, and it has been handy quite a few times. Yes, I could hot spot for the kids, but I wanted to try this to see how it does. It also gives me an idea of how good AT&T is in certain areas.

Speaking of OnStar, I try to negotiate with them much like I do SiriusXM. Generally, you can get good rates if you have the patience to "haggle" a few minutes. I purchased one year of the Remote Access and Safety & Security combo for around $250. That seems pretty reasonable for both packages.

Edited by ShotgunZ71

So I get an Email today telling me I've barely tapped into my 3GB of data and how much music and on line book listening I could do. Only thing I've been doing was using my older droid TII for the droid connect use of gps. Don't have to tie up my current phone for GPS use. (Custom Package). But guess what ONstar. There is a Pandemic going on. How much driving and testing can I really do? What's going to happen is that I'm not going to miss what I'm not using. Maybe there aughta be an extension to the trial period? Maybe a reduced annual prescription to make up for fewer driving miles? The insurance companies are doing that.

Does OnStar monitor these forums? Well, at least the vehicle warranty should have a little life to it for awhile, anyway.

I only really wanted the basic remote start app plan so I pushed the blue onstar button and was prepared to haggle with them. I talked to a customer service  guy and told him I thought $15 per month was too much for the basic remote plan. Without hesitation he instantly dropped it to $7.00 per month for one year, he said it will automatically go back to the $15 rate after the year is up. He said when that happens just contact onstar again and they will lower it back to the $7.00. I can live with that...

• Like 2

I bet they lost a lot of business with people not driving and canceling the service. So to retain a customer even at a lower monthly cost it’s worth it for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk