Unique Position to perform bulletproofing of 2012 5.3 Silverado

Yes, I did read that article by Super Chevy on the benefits of retaining VVT. This is part of the reason for my insistence on retaining VVT. I'm just very surprised that there simply isn't anything for Gen IV 5.3s... You would think these cam companies would realize some people want to retain VVT...

Cam motion of course said they didn't have anything for this, but referred me to Gwatney performance. Didn't see anything on their website for VVT cams, but I sent them an email, we'll see what they say.

Summit's site also lacks options, and also lots of cams with way too much duration...

No reply from Tick Performance yet...

I've been busy rebuilding a rock wall at my house, so I haven't had as much time as I'd like to surf the web for options and case histories.

• Like 1

Ok, I received a reply from Gwatney Performance. Here is the link supplied from one of their reps for a VVT compatible cam 

https://gwatneyperformance.com/product/gpi-lmg-vvt-cam-install-package-with-afm-dod-delete-for-2010-2014-silverado-5-3l/#gpi-vvt-camshaft-included

The specs for LLT1 VVT cam is listed at 21x/22x .55x/.55x 113+8.  Not sure why they mark x for the digit. Keeping it secret I guess. This seems to have higher duration than other "towing" cams and much more lift. Both probably being too much for me

So even though this works for VVT, if those numbers are right, I think it may be too aggressive for me. But I just understood the basics of cam figures a couple days ago. It also doesn't help that there's not much documentation on this particular cam.

I just found out a legendary Tuner lives close to me (less than 30 miles)… Ed Wright. I may end up giving him a call and ask if it's worth the hassle right now to retain VVT. I have read he did tune some VVT vehicles, so that is good to know. I would love to have him tune my truck once mods are finished. The direction I go in will depend a lot on how this conversation goes. I may end up just putting my truck back together for now (that's a chore in itself) and take my time to gather parts and perform the delete a little while later. It's very stressful at this point trying to get this done quickly. So I'm liable to make a mistake or a stupid decision I will regret later. Grille, fenders, hood are super easy to take off anyway... 

Apologies,

This is turning more into a "what *$!#_%@ cam do I get?! GAAAHHHHH someone just tell me and take my money!!!!!!" than a bulletproofing thread... 

Items to upgrade or replace so far....

1. Delete AFM system (remove cam and AFM lifters)

2. oil pickup o-ring

3. in tank fuel pump

4. rocker arm trunnion upgrade

5. hardened push rods (not 100% sure on that)

6. "towing" cam that won't affect longevity i.e.,

7. Lifter Guides

8. Valve Seals

9. New LS7 lifters to replace AFM lifters (just 8 or all 16?)

10. LS2 valley cover

11. LS2 chain dampener

12. cam bolt (for vvt)

13. crank bolt

14. Head bolts

15. Gaskets (Heads, timing cover, valley cover, not sure what else).

16. ???

• Like 1

On 5/5/2020 at 11:16 PM, TheStug said:

I just found out a legendary Tuner lives close to me (less than 30 miles)… Ed Wright. I may end up giving him a call...

Sounds good and I agree with those cam specs being too high for a truck and tow vehicle.  Replace all of the lifters.

Might consider skipping the cam upgrade and instead cleaning up the heads with a 3-angle (or whatever they do to these LS heads) valve job and mild port and polish.  

Looks like Ed Wright is retired so that's out, but I looked around for some local tuners and got some good names. I should be alright there.

Ah, you forget I am wanting to remove the AFM lifters as a weak link. BUT, I hadn't considered having someone work on the valve seat to help gain some torque/power across the full rev range. Might as well while it's off the block right? I will look into it further, thanks for the recommendation!

So, I've been gathering part numbers and I'm a little stuck on this item. I've been learning a lot about this truck. I literally do not own any vehicles newer than 20 years old, so the change in PCV tech surprised me a bit. 

Valley cover - Is it really necessary to run the more expensive 12599296 (LS3 cover) $105 vs 12598832 $40? I've learned the 5.3 has PCV provisions in the valve covers, does not look like anything is coming out of the valley cover. I am not sure the LS3 cover is really necessary, so it seems a waste of money. Yes, I am planning on using the O-rings to block the oil flow from the DoD towers. rather than using NPT plugs or press in pieces.

Please correct me if I am wrong!

On a separate note, I've heard the PCV can cause some excessive oil consumption issues, and that they've "updated" to solve the problem, so I might look into that as well.

Also, i'm pretty sure I'm gonna go with the Cam motion stage 1 cam. Just undecided right now on getting the drop in version or the hi lift version. Or I might just say F IT and get stage 2 since they're the same danged price!

Ok, nearly time to purchase all the goodies.

I am looking at Cam Motion Stage 1 Truck cam.    200/204   114+3.

Two options- .501 lift or .527 lift.

My question here regarding this camshaft, will the .527 actually net much if any gains over .501 lift? I am just not sure if the additional lift will actually flow more (intake, head, exhaust restricted?) I wish there was a side by side dyno chart of those two with mainly stock engine. I'll look around for more cam options before finalizing purchase tomorrow probably.

Main goal is to move up torque/hp across the entire RPM range, not peak power. Hopefully, it'll actually improve MPG while making me faster and better at towing.

Your 2012 model already has the revised driver's side valve cover (with the modified PCV orifice) installed at the factory.  They changed that sometime in late 2010 or early 2011 I believe.  I had to have it installed under warranty (covered by a GM TSB) on our 2009 Silverado.  

Edited by MaverickZ71

On 5/14/2020 at 5:15 PM, TheStug said:

Ok, nearly time to purchase all the goodies.

I am looking at Cam Motion Stage 1 Truck cam.    200/204   114+3.

Two options- .501 lift or .527 lift.

My question here regarding this camshaft, will the .527 actually net much if any gains over .501 lift? I am just not sure if the additional lift will actually flow more (intake, head, exhaust restricted?) I wish there was a side by side dyno chart of those two with mainly stock engine. I'll look around for more cam options before finalizing purchase tomorrow probably.

Main goal is to move up torque/hp across the entire RPM range, not peak power. Hopefully, it'll actually improve MPG while making me faster and better at towing.

.501 would be my choice.

12 hours ago, swathdiver said:

.501 would be my choice.

Any particular reason why you would pick .501 over .527? Just curious

I pulled the trigger on the .527 lift cam a few days ago, but they're on a 2 week lead time so it may not be too late for me to change the order.

It also turns out that some parts from GMpartsdirect are delayed "indefinitely" due to the coronavirus so I have no idea when I could get my parts. might have to shop elsewhere if I want it sooner.

4 hours ago, TheStug said:

Any particular reason why you would pick .501 over .527? Just curious

According Hot Rod's testing, the 799/243 heads flow 243 and 176 CFM on their intake and exhaust at .500 lift.  At .600 lift these numbers go to 248 and 186.  To my way of thinking, this additional strain on the valvetrain is hardly worth it considering it would only yield about 5-8 horsepower at most.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/surprising-hp-numbers-stock-ls-cylinder-head-test/

14 minutes ago, swathdiver said:

According Hot Rod's testing, the 799/243 heads flow 243 and 176 CFM on their intake and exhaust at .500 lift.  At .600 lift these numbers go to 248 and 186.  To my way of thinking, this additional strain on the valvetrain is hardly worth it considering it would only yield about 5-8 horsepower at most.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/surprising-hp-numbers-stock-ls-cylinder-head-test/

Ohhhhhhh….. I actually read that article, but I found the flow data lacking. I see now that I didn't see the "show all" link or tab to expand to get to the flow table.... THAT HELPS A LOT! If I had seen that, I would have come to exactly the same conclusion and gone with .501, which I will do now that Cam Motion confirmed the cancellation of the camshaft.

Thanks swathdiver, and everyone, you've all been very helpful!

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know of a good part number to vehicle cross reference site?

I just found that 12598832 (4.8 non DOD valley cover) has been discontinued. It wasn't (i think) before this whole coronavirus crap hit, but it was out of stock at GMPARTSGIANT at the time that I tried to order it. This parts unavailability and coronavirus backlog really pushed back the order of some parts.

I'd like to just input a part number and have it return a list of vehicles and engines that came with that part from the factory. I'm planning on getting this part from a junkyard, hence why I need to know. It would be a good tool for future junkyard searches anyhow.

Thanks

• 2 months later...
On 5/2/2020 at 2:04 AM, swathdiver said:

There is a guy who posted on two other forums his experiences with a mild truck cam by Cam Motion.  I am not a fan of high lift, long duration cams for a truck cam.  By long, I mean more than 210 degrees.  My thoughts are in the minority.  However, most who pick these "little" Stage cams trade away a lot of low end torque and raise their power band.  

When my time comes, I'm going to install either a Crane Cam 1449501 or a BTR "Truck Torque Cam".  The latter is not even made anymore (I want it anyway!).  These are single pattern camshafts designed to work without VVT, for pre-VVT 5.3 engines which is what I have.  They could work with VVT but are not optimized for it.  The Gen III L33 and the 2007-2009 Truck 5.3s with AFM all had that single pattern grind.  Last time I looked, there is NO information about the BTR camshaft and very little about the Crane offering.  Marken Performance posted engine dyno figures.  

When I used to build and race turbocharged engines 30+ years ago, most camshafts actually robbed power.  

Looking into this for my 2014 Tahoe.  I am looking for low end torque and hp improvement. I probably hang our in the 1,500 - 4,000 RPM rang under throttle( probably mostly between 2,000-3,000) so I want a low start point for my cam. I was very interested in the BTR tuck torque cam as well but have not seen anymore information on it. Do you have anymore information since this post? I spoke with them and they suggested Tuck low lift stage 2 and did not mention information about the torque cam.  But I think stage 2 starts hitting at 2,200 rpm. 

I also spoke with Crane Cam and they mentioned 1449541 and 1449041 and were really leaning on the 1449041. This is similar to the one you liked in the 1449501, however I can't see to find the one you mentioned on their site. Any thoughts on either of these? Compared to the BTR?

On 9/17/2020 at 12:52 PM, Tahoe Bud said:

Looking into this for my 2014 Tahoe.  I am looking for low end torque and hp improvement. I probably hang our in the 1,500 - 4,000 RPM rang under throttle( probably mostly between 2,000-3,000) so I want a low start point for my cam. I was very interested in the BTR tuck torque cam as well but have not seen anymore information on it. Do you have anymore information since this post? I spoke with them and they suggested Tuck low lift stage 2 and did not mention information about the torque cam.  But I think stage 2 starts hitting at 2,200 rpm. 

I also spoke with Crane Cam and they mentioned 1449541 and 1449041 and were really leaning on the 1449041. This is similar to the one you liked in the 1449501, however I can't see to find the one you mentioned on their site. Any thoughts on either of these? Compared to the BTR?

No new information here either.  The smaller Crane cam was discontinued but vendors still have some for sale.  

This guy, Thunderstruck, has several articles across various forums about his experiences with a drop-in Cam Motion camshaft.  Watch this video he took, motor doesn't seem labored as it rockets to 100 mph: