Bed Cap Size 2018 vs 2019

I currently have a utility cap on my 2014 Silverado double cab with a standard bed but I am looking to take advantage of the pandemic pricing/lending deals and upgrade to a 2020 crew cab so the kids have more space in the back seat. One dealer told me my cap wouldn't fit the new standard box size but I can't find anywhere online how much the dimensions of the bed changed besides the cargo volume somehow increased. Does anyone know the width of the bed at the top rails and also the length? My current cap is 82" long and 69" wide. I may just go with the short box if I have to get a new cap also since they are much more common.

Many reasons why the cap on your older truck won’t fit the new 2019-2020 T1 1500’s.  Changes to box sizes, the new spoiler on the back of the cab, new tailgates(especially the GMC Multi Pro) have required totally new cap designs to fit these trucks. Check out the post on this topic shown below. It has a lot of information and photos.

Thanks! Certainly a lot of info there but my utility cap is one of the aluminum ones that doesn't exactly fit all of the contours as nicely anyway. I took a couple photos of my current setup. I understand why a fiberglass unit like the Leer cap wouldn't work. I'm not looking to get a high end enough truck with the Multi Pro tailgate. I may just go to a closed dealer near me and take some measurements...

Cap 1.jpg

Cap 2.jpg

I don't think the footprint of the top of the box will be a big issue, its the spoiler.  Anything double or crew cab have the spoiler no matter the trim level.  That cap won't be able to sit as tight as it should as on your truck now and will most likely have a gap at the front, possibly hang off the rear.  

• Like 1

• 1 year later...