Cold Air Intake Recommendation 2016 Sierra 6.2

On 4/23/2020 at 8:19 PM, 2018GMC said:

I have AFE Momentum GT. I may end up selling it. It looks nice under the hood but I can’t tell that it makes a difference aside from hearing a lot more intake noise.

I’ve swapped back and forth and truck feels the same besides hearing more engine growl and noise with the AFE. This was one of the top rated in blackbear tests but without a tune don’t expect a seat of the pants difference.

936595a718d7b69be56fcd273856846b.jpg

Just put one of these in my truck a couple weekends ago.  I can't really feel any difference but I did do some data logging before and after the swap.  It does show an increase in both torque and horsepower from the logs in HPtuner.  For peak on the data log runs it was at about 10HP/15TQ difference.  This isn't as accurate as a dyno of course, but it does at least show some increase.  I'll wait to see if it has an effect on mileage in the long term.  I do like the way it sounds when I open the throttle up over 50%.  Otherwise, keeping it under 50% it sounds the same as stock.

• Like 2

Does it say at what rpm or give a chart of gains?

At least it’s something besides more engine sound / noise and cleaner under hood.

6 minutes ago, 2018GMC said:

Does it say at what rpm or give a chart of gains?

At least it’s something besides more engine sound / noise and cleaner under hood.

Yes, it HPtuner scanner logs all the info from the runs, I added the HP calculation to my graph display.  It showed an increase across the board but the highest was in the upper RPM close to redline.  I can probably take a screen shot of each but without the program to view all the data, you will only see the one snapshot of where the picture is taken.

Yes, it HPtuner scanner logs all the info from the runs, I added the HP calculation to my graph display.  It showed an increase across the board but the highest was in the upper RPM close to redline.  I can probably take a screen shot of each but without the program to view all the data, you will only see the one snapshot of where the picture is taken.

Good to know. When you say gains across the board that’s great! I suspect maybe 3-5hp and 5-8 tq at lower RPM 1500 - 4000 where the truck lives 95% of the time. In other words you won’t be able to tell.

7 minutes ago, 2018GMC said:

Good to know. When you say gains across the board that’s great! I suspect maybe 3-5hp and 5-8 tq at lower RPM 1500 - 4000 where the truck lives 95% of the time. In other words you won’t be able to tell.

Probably not.  I didn't really do any logging to compare at the regular driving RPM, just a few WOT runs before I put in the CAI and then a few after down the same road.  I tried to keep it consistent to make it have the same data on the runs.  So far I don't have any complaints about it.  The small gain isn't a lot but I got it for a good price so I'm not going to complain.  Wish I had access to a full dyno to test but that gets expensive quick when you don't know someone.

Probably not.  I didn't really do any logging to compare at the regular driving RPM, just a few WOT runs before I put in the CAI and then a few after down the same road.  I tried to keep it consistent to make it have the same data on the runs.  So far I don't have any complaints about it.  The small gain isn't a lot but I got it for a good price so I'm not going to complain.  Wish I had access to a full dyno to test but that gets expensive quick when you don't know someone.

I also removed stock muffler and flapper. Replaced with magnaflow 14909 stainless (12909 aluminumized)

I added the AFE bag to my dry filter and it keeps a lot of bugs and large debris out of my filter pleats.

I got mine used as well form a member. I didn’t want to pay the nearly $400 asking price on amazon / AFE.

Quick question for all out there that had a CAI for a while. Does anyone remove it when going to the dealer for any kind of service? I need a state inspection next month and was wondering if I should put the stock tube on. I really don’t see it being a problem. Just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 4/27/2020 at 4:06 PM, Bob2C said:

Quick question for all out there that had a CAI for a while. Does anyone remove it when going to the dealer for any kind of service? I need a state inspection next month and was wondering if I should put the stock tube on. I really don’t see it being a problem. Just curious.

Yes, When my truck sees the dealer, i remove my AFE sprint booster and CAI. Takes 20 mins and dealer can’t use excuse aftermarket caused issue in the future. 

My local dealer is mediocre at best so not taking any chances. Need to take my 2018 in for crooked front bumper and random service stabillitrack that goes away on starts. 

Edited by 2018GMC

Yes, When my truck sees the dealer, i remove my AFE sprint booster and CAI. Takes 20 mins and dealer can’t use excuse aftermarket caused issue in the future. 

My local dealer is mediocre at best so not taking any chances. Need to take my 2018 in for crooked front bumper and random service stabillitrack that goes away on starts. 

That’s what figured. Only going in for state inspection but don’t want them to note anything. Plus I have to put stock tune back on.

On 4/27/2020 at 6:06 PM, Bob2C said:

I believe as long as it has the CARB #, it is ok for emissions tests.  Not 100% sure on this though, where I live we don't have any testing for vehicles, emissions or otherwise.  As for the dealer, many will complain about just about anything.  I rarely take my vehicles to a dealer for anything though, so I don't worry about it much.