Resinator delete

Hey all, I recently had a shop do a muffler swap on my 2015 Silverado 5.3L, I had a borla pro xs put on but it doesn't sound like I was hopi g it would (I'm new to doing more then cosmetic stuff and breaks). So I was looking to do a resinator delete and was wondering what all I will need as far as extra pipes and all that. I havent been able to find a youtube video that explains this very well. Any input is appreciated!

Hey all, I recently had a shop do a muffler swap on my 2015 Silverado 5.3L, I had a borla pro xs put on but it doesn't sound like I was hopi g it would (I'm new to doing more then cosmetic stuff and breaks). So I was looking to do a resinator delete and was wondering what all I will need as far as extra pipes and all that. I havent been able to find a youtube video that explains this very well. Any input is appreciated!

I have no experience on that, but recently I saw a video of Tahoe doing those setups. Engine is similar 5.3L so it might be helpful to you

Both my previos trucks I just called a muffler shop and got a quote. First truck was $110 cdn to cut off the resonator and weld in a pipe. Second truck was $200cdn to do the same at a different shop. That one was more spur of the moment kinda thing but it worked out fine. Gives it a nicer sound but still reasonable if you have neighbors and just want to hear the V8 a little better. Both times, they just cut off the resonator, nothing crazy as everything else was left stock. I could have went to a buddies and did it but meh, sometimes gotta enjoy the convenience factor on avoiding really minor stuff.

14 hours ago, ToxicLlama said:

I have this exact same setup (Borla Pro XS swap and resinator deleted).  For the resinator, I had the same shop delete it as putting in the Borla.  I had only done the Borla first (same as you) and thought it was a bit quiet too... I after the resinator delete, I was worried cause the guy at the shop tested it himself and his comment was, "meh, it's not "that" much louder..." but I found that it was 'just' enough.

For parts, seeing as I had the shop do it, it was literally just a foot (or so) piece of 3" 304 stainless pipe that he welded in place of the resinator (to go over the outside of the stock 2.75" pipe on either side of where the resinator was and then some really good welds).

The tone doesn't really change, but I did notice that in V4 mode, there was more of an annoying drone (due to the missing flapper from the Borla swap in the first place).  I had planned eventually to get a Range device (to eliminate V4 mode altogether) so I starting looking around and I managed to hit a stroke of luck with someone selling a used one locally (as shipping/duty to get one of those across the boarder was really going to make a big dent in the pocket book....).

Now I'm V8 only and it sounds pretty close to that video with the Tahoe - fuel mileage barely changed, to the point where it was hard to tell if the V4 mode was really worth all the design work GM put into it.  I don't have a video clip yet, but I've mean to do one ... just haven't got around to it yet.

There trucks are a pain to get them to sound just right.  What you find that sounded great on a previous truck no longer applies here.  The 3rd cat, plus the resonator completely change it. 

I have the V4 tuned out so I don't have the drone to deal with.  I tried just a straight pipe and cut out the muffler and flapper valve.  It sounded friggin awesome at idle and WOT, but is sounded like crap at part throttle, plus it lost some of the bottom end torque, plus I lost about 2 MPG.  Also had a drone at highway speeds.  I decided to go with a 14" length Jones Exhaust straight thru (same as Magnaflow).  Still have the resonator and 3rd cat.  It takes about  a week or two for these fiberglass packed mufflers to "pack down"  and the tone gets a little louder.  I really like it now.  Yeah, I could stand for it to be a tad louder,  but overall its a great tone.  Nice at idle,  very nice on acceleration, but is just perfect on the highway and when towing with absolutely no drone.  

Your Borla probably has a similar sound to what I have now.  If you want to hear more of it, it will require removing the resonator.

yeah I've seen a lot of tuned BMW M cars and the new Hemi's with aftermarket exhaust around here, and they all sound so friggin horrible, raspy, popping droneing sounds... awwfull! i dont think the owners even hear it. they spent $1000 on exhaust and keep the windows rolled up tight. lol

Keeping my truck stock and silent

I have headers with no cats, then magnaflow 12909 3.5 in and 3.5 out.  I cut the flapper valve out as soon as I tuned out the AFM years ago.  I just cut the rear resonator off myself and left it dumped over the rear axle.  I find this is a really good combo with lots of volume at WOT but quiet at cruising speed with no drone.

Before I had headers.  I had the 12909 muffler, no flapper valve and the rear resonator cut off.  This was only slightly louder than stock with this muffler but much deeper.  But I knew I was adding headers with a catless Y pipe later.  And knew from my last truck that would wake it up alot.

The stock Y pipe has three cats in it.  This makes it to quiet.

On 4/22/2020 at 10:17 AM, ToxicLlama said:

Where is the flapper located, I've never even heard of it lol

It's right behind the main muffler, maybe 6" form it.  You can't miss it if you just crawl up under there and look.

On 4/22/2020 at 4:22 PM, johnboy105 said:

I have this exact same setup (Borla Pro XS swap and resinator deleted).  For the resinator, I had the same shop delete it as putting in the Borla.  I had only done the Borla first (same as you) and thought it was a bit quiet too... I after the resinator delete, I was worried cause the guy at the shop tested it himself and his comment was, "meh, it's not "that" much louder..." but I found that it was 'just' enough.

For parts, seeing as I had the shop do it, it was literally just a foot (or so) piece of 3" 304 stainless pipe that he welded in place of the resinator (to go over the outside of the stock 2.75" pipe on either side of where the resinator was and then some really good welds).

The tone doesn't really change, but I did notice that in V4 mode, there was more of an annoying drone (due to the missing flapper from the Borla swap in the first place).  I had planned eventually to get a Range device (to eliminate V4 mode altogether) so I starting looking around and I managed to hit a stroke of luck with someone selling a used one locally (as shipping/duty to get one of those across the boarder was really going to make a big dent in the pocket book....).

Now I'm V8 only and it sounds pretty close to that video with the Tahoe - fuel mileage barely changed, to the point where it was hard to tell if the V4 mode was really worth all the design work GM put into it.  I don't have a video clip yet, but I've mean to do one ... just haven't got around to it yet.

I'd love to see a video on it! If you do one please link it here for me, we have the setup in thinking of going with. I'm not going to straight pipe my truck, I do a tone of driving and a bit of towing, I don't want to go crazy just want to hear a bit more of the engine