Covid19 Spare time

Donstar

Renting is an option but comes with some risk.  The cleaning required after each rental would also be significant.  However, it may be worthwhile as RV ownership is expensive.   I have known people who used "Van conversions" as their second vehicle.   In the 70's vans were popular daily drivers.  I owned a 'couple of Econoline's and often "camped" with them.  We sold our trailer last winter as the costs for the limited use did not make sense.  We envisioned frequent and spontaneous road trips with our trailer but discovered a significant amount of pre-planning and setup was needed.  Your camper van idea has got me thinking..... (my poor wife!)

I’m still researching. I did locate an outfit that sells and rents. Check out American Dream Vacations. You can buy it. Leave it for rental. They supply everything. Use it when you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

On 7/8/2020 at 7:22 AM, KARNUT said:

I’m still researching. I did locate an outfit that sells and rents. Check out American Dream Vacations. You can buy it. Leave it for rental. They supply everything. Use it when you want.

Very interesting option.  It sort of has a structure like a time share except you own the unit.   I am sure they do a thorough job of cleaning between rentals but I wouldn't be comfortable with others (strangers) using my bed and "facilities" on such a frequent basis. However, next time I'm in Texas, I may rent!

• Like 1

Very interesting option.  It sort of has a structure like a time share except you own the unit.   I am sure they do a thorough job of cleaning between rentals but I wouldn't be comfortable with others (strangers) using my bed and "facilities" on such a frequent basis. However, next time I'm in Texas, I may rent!

I looked at their lot in Houston I wasn’t impressed. I’m now looking at small RVs with restrooms. That’s really all I’m interested in. Maybe a van and get it costume done. I’m not interested in camping. I usually have a destination to stay. It’s the rest stops and meals along the way. I’m getting tired of sitting home. The rental option is if I want to defer the cost of an expensive RV. It works great for my condo in Myrtle Beach. I already missed one visit there in May. August may be in question now. RV rentals are active right now for isolation vacations. I think the wife is worried I’ll bring home a large diesel pusher. I’m egging it on a little for kicks.[emoji56]

3 hours ago, BigBlueLB756 said:

There's a provision allowing concealed carry while wearing  a mask here in NC as long as the governor is mandating mask use. 

https://www.wxii12.com/article/coronavirus-north-carolina-concealed-carry-gun-face-masks/32960539#

I was sent information by my son on the new Bronco's.  My family knows spare time for Dad means he's looking at new vehicles.  A red SLT and a red Road King haven't been passed by my financial advisor (dictator).  However, I know she'd be more open to discussion if a silver SUV was on my radar.  Probably no coincidence that my son is sending me such literature!  My interest in the Bronco was heightened when I saw that it will be available in a 10 spd. automatic and a 7spd manual.  Making that choice would cause me to implode!

On 7/14/2020 at 11:59 AM, Donstar said:

I was sent information by my son on the new Bronco's.  My family knows spare time for Dad means he's looking at new vehicles.  A red SLT and a red Road King haven't been passed by my financial advisor (dictator).  However, I know she'd be more open to discussion if a silver SUV was on my radar.  Probably no coincidence that my son is sending me such literature!  My interest in the Bronco was heightened when I saw that it will be available in a 10 spd. automatic and a 7spd manual.  Making that choice would cause me to implode!

I'd be slightly more interested if you could get the manual transmission with the V6. I don't understand where this idea that bigger engines have to have automatics comes from. 

On 7/14/2020 at 12:59 PM, Donstar said:

Do the new Broncos come with an O.J. Simpson action figure?  Maybe as an option?

:jester:

Edited by txab
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Cpl_Punishment said:

I'd be slightly more interested if you could get the manual transmission with the V6. I don't understand where this idea that bigger engines have to have automatics comes from. 

I know. GM did the same with the Colorado...4 cylinder stripper only. Used to anyway, now you can’t get the manual on any of them.

I read an article saying the off-road oriented “Sasquatch” package will also not be available with the manual. I guess a 7 speed with a crawler gear, AND an off-road package makes too much sense. One or the other is all you get. Why spend the money to develop it then...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, txab said:

Do the new Broncos come with an O.J. Simpson action figure?  Maybe as an option?

:jester:

I think Ford would want to distance themselves from O.J.  His Bronco was awfully slow!

1 hour ago, Donstar said:

I think Ford would want to distance themselves from O.J.  His Bronco was awfully slow!

But the freeway MPG would be good the if you drove it like Al Cowling drove the Bronco.