Covid19 Spare time

Donstar

I get it.   I was in better shape at 65 than 55.  Covid19 changed routines for most of us and weight gain was a popular result.

This past year was a change similar to the first year of retirement   It takes a lot of activity to replace a typical 8 hour work day!  My post employment routines were pretty entrenched before Covid hit but I was very surprised by how much additional time the closures and restrictions required me to fill!   My exercise plan is simply shying away from the sedentary projects (like sorting boxes of old photos) and look for activities that involve moving around.    For some of us, something as simple as getting down on to the floor to play with the dog can be physically demanding.  It is harder for some to burn fat than others.  I look fine and can walk miles but struggle to get into a standing position. Who knew? [emoji6]   The most effective option for me is managing my intake which all credit in this regard goes to Mrs. Donstar!  

My physical activities not working at home are pretty much the same. The difference is I have to spread it out all week. Instead of doing it in one day pre retirement. I laugh when I read do 10,000 steps a day. I do 4-7K max. Otherwise knees, back, hips speak out. I’m a firm believer every one is an island. You have to tailor to yourself. Using a pole trimmer or chainsaw requires my back brace. Otherwise weeks to recover. I see people running I want to stop them. They’d be better off walking, briskly. They’re knees and hips will speak to them later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Donstar said:

I get it.   I was in better shape at 65 than 55.  Covid19 changed routines for most of us and weight gain was a popular result.

This past year was a change similar to the first year of retirement   It takes a lot of activity to replace a typical 8 hour work day!  My post employment routines were pretty entrenched before Covid hit but I was very surprised by how much additional time the closures and restrictions required me to fill!   My exercise plan is simply shying away from the sedentary projects (like sorting boxes of old photos) and look for activities that involve moving around.    For some of us, something as simple as getting down on to the floor to play with the dog can be physically demanding.  It is harder for some to burn fat than others.  I look fine and can walk miles but struggle to get into a standing position. Who knew? 😉   The most effective option for me is managing my intake which all credit in this regard goes to Mrs. Donstar!  

Once I'm moving I'm good for the day sans doing something silly. It's convincing the back it's okay that's a chore. :crackup:

• Like 1

I went to my neighbourhood liquor store to buy some cider and was approached on my way in by a teen female asking me if I'd buy her a bottle.  She had two friends in the background and I'm guessing they were all around 16 yrs old.  I'm not naïve in this matter as I was a teen and also raised three kids.   However, I found it really odd that three sets of parents during a time of such restrictions don't have a clue what their daughters are doing on a Saturday afternoon.  It didn't appear they had any intentions of being home or in shape for supper!   I don't have my head in the sand and I'm really just saying this to remind ourselves that kids will benefit from any extra time we can give.  I was reminded that I haven't called my teen grandchildren for awhile and that will be my priority today!   It's a lot of work to make your teens prefer to be home on a Saturday.  I didn't make my kids stay home but they always needed to tell us the place and the purpose!  

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, RyanbabZ71 said:

9dac27f20b1e98ddf0d47c73c4a1d92c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wash your hands allot. Distance. Mask....we have all that in Illinois too. Funny thing is except were it can be enforced the rules are ignored. My neighbors wear masks to Walmart then have twenty carloads of people over twice a week maskless.  Just like people ignore stop signs, speed limits and no passing zones. You been watching summer break? Seems the pass time is ignoring everything. 

9dac27f20b1e98ddf0d47c73c4a1d92c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
This shouldn't be a surprise. Since last summer I have directly talked to many doctors, epidemiologist, virologist, and health professionals and most of them have said the masks are basically pointless. The main reason is 99% of the masks people are using just doesn't do anything. They are just a calming feel good thing.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

WI chart looks identical. Still expecting a further extension of the mandate. That’ll make it 365 days of 60 day emergency orders. Unconstitutional, of course.

Some reading materials for the day further proving I’ve been right from day one:

https://thefederalist.com/2021/02/24/in-report-affirming-nearly-no-transmission-in-schools-cdc-slips-in-shocking-data-about-asymptomatic-spread/

https://ktla.com/news/california/despite-california-and-florida-governors-drastically-different-approaches-the-states-saw-almost-identical-outcomes-in-covid-19-case-rates/

And no, the AP and CDC are not known to be right wing sources. It’s just slowly becoming OK to tell the truths that the rest of us knew for a year.

• Like 2

Wash your hands allot. Distance. Mask....we have all that in Illinois too. Funny thing is except were it can be enforced the rules are ignored. My neighbors wear masks to Walmart then have twenty carloads of people over twice a week maskless.  Just like people ignore stop signs, speed limits and no passing zones. You been watching summer break? Seems the pass time is ignoring everything. 

I know Grumpy Bear won't see my reply. He's like an ostrich sticking his head in the sand. Regardless, he missed some pertinent facts.

1) Washing your hands too often over an extended amount of time can weaken your immune system. Everything from the Cleveland Clinic, CDC, et al that I've read on the topic specifically states "short term" frequent have washing is okay. There is nothing on long term frequent long term have washing. However, other research can be used anecdotally to recognize that long term exposure can aid in building immunity. Here's 1 such piece of evidence: https://www.jacionline.org/article/S0091-6749(12)00519-2/fulltext

2) We're Americans. This country was built by rebels through rebellion against tyrannical oppression via "law" and "regulations". Rebellion is part of our culture. It's encouraged and supported to an extent. After all, society says things like, "You're not breaking the rules of you don't get caught." So, of course we're going to run stop signs, pass in no passing zones, and have 20 car loads of people over at our house. It may break a rule or 2, but it's also passive rebellion, aka civil disobedience. We're suppose to be a free people. Ironically, the states with political leanings to the right are more free and the states with political leanings to the left are much more restricted. I'm in California. My kids haven't seen the inside of a classroom in over a year. That doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to see their friends.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

A pass time for me is watching the WORLD numbers.

First wave hit a 7 day average of roughly 80K a day. Then it slacked off.

Second wave peaked just under 260K a day then slid back.

Third wave hit 750K a day and once again died back.

Currently it looks as if that low has happened and a forth wave is building.

Note: Each wave was roughly triple the previous wave? Each low more that twice as high as the previous low.

That is some interesting stuff. 

On 5/7/2020 at 12:10 PM, Grumpy Bear said:

So lots of yard work. Spectracide is my weed killer of choice when they become to many to hand dig. Problem however. Spray these pesky Dandy-Lions and the greenery dies....eventually...but the stalks and flowers continue to maturity. Anyone have an idea what's happening? C-mon people put that COVID idle brain to use. Brother needs some help. :) 

the only thing that works is to dig them up, you will get ahead of them in a couple of years (lol)

be careful where you dispose of the flowers, they will mature into a seed head on a dead plant

smartest plant on earth, good luck

• Haha 1

Please tell us about what you've done/doing with your extra time.  If Covid19 hasn't impacted your schedule then no need to respond.  The ship has sailed on the mask, hand washing and political debates around Covid19. 

(should be a few posts up 😉 )

Edited by Donstar

1 hour ago, nqabigt said:

the only thing that works is to dig them up, you will get ahead of them in a couple of years (lol)

be careful where you dispose of the flowers, they will mature into a seed head on a dead plant

smartest plant on earth, good luck

Well I have neighbors that have zero interest in their yard and it would seem the wind direction is in the favor of my yard....allot. I burn them. 😉 

12 hours ago, j-ten-ner said:

Meanwhile, I'm surfing this website.

http://www.jeeptruck.com/sale/sale.html

It's getting more interesting...

There are some are interesting finds!  Are you actually looking to buy, or just spending extra time on the computer?   I'm keeping my eye on a '71 F250 that appears to be in extraordinarily good condition.  Even though, it's 50 years old, the only modern amenity I'd miss is decent fuel economy.  You could watch the gas gauge move on those beasts!  I don't have the retirement income to buy an additional vehicle but I would trade/give up a current vehicle.  It would have to be an affordable, comfortable and safe daily driver which is a hard find!  The bar is incredibly high when it becomes a choice between it and my '15 SLE that is in excellent condition with nothing owing!

Edited by Donstar
  • Like 1