Covid19 Spare time

Donstar

On Thursday I witnessed a shopper in a local major drug store refuse to comply with the safety line-up process.  He  successfully used his physical presence to place himself to first in line status at the cashier. Directions from staff and a polite explanation from me and others were disregarded.  He obviously believed in the threat of the virus as he used his body as a super power with an anti-magnetic field.  The only right thing to do was to let him.  Funny how I felt when I left the store.  I was genuinely happy with how seriously the majority of people are responding to this challenge.  The world has had a reboot and we've installed virus-protection.   We're still learning DOS commands but most are onboard.  

I think he should have been refused service unless he complied.

Or the group of people should have stood up to him.

Letting him do this is wrong.

:)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, diyer2 said:

I think he should have been refused service unless he complied.

Or the group of people should have stood up to him.

Letting him do this is wrong.

Yes, it wasn't as passive as my summary of events may have suggested and I don't know what follow-up transpired.  My point was more about how the majority care.   I continue to be impressed with the respect, kindness and empathy demonstrated by  the majority.  I agree that complying should not be a choice nor are arguments about personal freedom applicable in situations like this when in a pandemic.. 

Edited by Donstar

Yes, it wasn't as passive as my summary of events may have suggested and I don't know what follow-up transpired.  My point was more about how the majority care.   I continue to be impressed with the respect, kindness and empathy demonstrated by  the majority.  I agree that complying should not be a choice nor are arguments about personal freedom applicable in situations like this when in a pandemic.. 

It’s no difference than no shirt no service. Also private property. They probably should have a couple of security persons on duty too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recruited my wife's help and did a another attack on the garage yesterday.  It was very tidy but still full of too many treasures and tools.  Last week my neighbour and I were working on our fence. At one point he mentioned that he forgot his level.  My garage was closer so I said what size do you want? (I have multiple lengths)  He said 4 ft.  My next question could have been what colour?!   I will continue to donate to our local Restore when they reopen but I find parting with tools/supplies/hardware very difficult  They either have sentimental attachments (many are inherited)  or are special items that may be useful "someday".   However, plans and projects anticipated for the future  take on a different reality ten years into retirement.  Downsizing a tool collection is tough but my wife's delight when seeing free space on a shelf makes it somewhat worthwhile!  ? 

• Like 1

Donstar,

I'm in the same boat as to my tools and garage.

Hard to let go of things because you never know what life will throw at you.

I have a big collection of  tools after retiring from construction. 

Lots of mechanic tools from years of fixing things.

A collection of nuts, bolts, electrical, plumbing, etc.

• Like 2

There could be five of me and I couldn't sort the 'stuff' in a year. Dad is worse. 

Few years ago he was in need for some special John Deere brake tool that hasn't been in production for 60 years or more. 

Woke up in he middle of the night three nights later and scurried to the back shed where is found a new one in a box, used once in the mid 40's. One happy camper. 

Stuff just sticks to you as you age. :crackup:

• Like 2

Yes Sir!

Working on a friends 20 + years old Jeep and needed a bolt.

Found one in my stash.

Doing a kitchen remodel now. Tiled back splash. 

Needed longer screws for switches and plugs. Needed 18 screws.

Found a box full. Score!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’ve bought two sets of tools up to 1 1/8 inch sockets and wrenches in my life. The second including metric. The first in 1973. You can’t read them from Sears. I used them so much.The second set 20 years ago snap on. Just to have. Of course the sets of, screw drivers vice grips, and make life easier tools job specific you may use once. The bigger tools l gave to my shop at retirement. For save space reasons. I contemplated thinning the herd. Every time I pick up one from the first set. It like I turned on a VCR to an old movie. The memories come flooding back. My kids can deal with them when the time comes. I can’t do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Donstar said:

I recruited my wife's help and did a another attack on the garage yesterday.  It was very tidy but still full of too many treasures and tools.  Last week my neighbour and I were working on our fence. At one point he mentioned that he forgot his level.  My garage was closer so I said what size do you want? (I have multiple lengths)  He said 4 ft.  My next question could have been what colour?!   I will continue to donate to our local Restore when they reopen but I find parting with tools/supplies/hardware very difficult  They either have sentimental attachments (many are inherited)  or are special items that may be useful "someday".   However, plans and projects anticipated for the future  take on a different reality ten years into retirement.  Downsizing a tool collection is tough but my wife's delight when seeing free space on a shelf makes it somewhat worthwhile!  ? 

I'm not sure what your family situation is but my grandfather gave all his old tools to me and my brothers when he and my grandmother downsized to an apartment. The timing worked out well because we were just getting started on our own and it allowed us to keep the stuff with sentimental value in the family. Stuff that wasn't special he donated to our church garage sale. 

• Like 2

Have had to move into an apartment for a year or so.  That has forced me to dispose of (donate) a ton of tools.   <sigh> one of the hardest things I have had to do. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, KARNUT said:

My kids can deal with them when the time comes. I can’t do it.

My father and his father thought the same way!  My kids unfortunately could probably fit what they want in a shoebox!

• Like 3

My tool collection continues to grow....so nice to have that odd socket or weird wrench. Well on my way to catching up with you guys hahaha

Went to my preferred grocery store today, toilet paper is making a comeback, and I found some isopropyl alcohol for my washer fluid bucket at home. Hell also froze solid and they have Pepsi Zero Vanilla now.

Traffic was somewhat down from highs, though it seemed more full than 50% capacity.

I also saw a surprising number of elderly shoppers in the aisles. Come on man, are we doing this or not? If they don't feel the need to stay home, open things up and leave it to the individual to make the choice to shelter or not.