Covid19 Spare time

Donstar

Couple tidbits from my experience when it comes to projectors:

1.  If it's a dedicated room that can get completely dark, the Lumens aren't as important.  The more daylight that creeps into the room, the more Lumens needed.

- I have an infocus x10 which is only 1200 lumens and it does fine in the basement with shades drawn.  outside, it needs to be pretty late to have ample darkness.

2.  I don't see a huge difference between mine at 1080p and others at 4k....at least not enough to justify the costs.

3.  Check the cost/availability of replacement bulbs.

4.  Each projector has different throw ratio's so make sure you use a calculator when sizing up your options.

- I use this:  https://www.projectorcentral.com/InFocus-X10-projection-calculator-pro.htm#calc (example of mine)  https://www.projectorcentral.com/projection-calculator-pro.cfm (general)

Just a few things to consider.

• Like 2

Happy New Year, everyone!  As our provincial health officer recently stated, we've all become experts in Covid19 and let's take this knowledge with us into the New Year.   At first I thought it was kind of a cheesy comment,  however, she has a point.  Throughout 2020, Covid19 was highlighted in most aspects of our daily lives.  It caused, angst, confusion and anger.  Our "undergraduate" work is complete and most of us know and have established how we will proceed in 2021.  I really enjoy reading about the video/technical projects members are tackling in their spare time.  This area of "technology"  has really blossomed from a need brought on by Covid19.  Karnut's project, for example, reminded me to look for a projector for my laptop.  I have turned into an avid Zoom and Skype user and a projector would be more versatile than my laptop/TV monitor setup.  Last year at this time I was only a "special occasion" or formal work type Skype user.  Adapting to informal, good quality group video conferencing has really enhanced my connections with family.  The actual experience is not the same as in person but it is far,far greater than a phone conference.  I find that my memories of a video conference with family member are almost identical to an in-person visit.  Phone call memories fade quickly. I would like to hear from others who relied on video visits over the holidays and any of the tips and tricks you discovered.  The best thing I found is that the less formal, the more genuine the experience.  The grandkids don't want to see us posed for a picture as we talk.  They would rather visit us as we're working in the kitchen just as they would if they were staying in our home!  

Edited by Donstar

Happy New Year!

Plenty  of experts on this site that's for sure. :jester:

Everyone needs to remember about "Zoom" calls...... keep hands out of pants, just ask Jeffery Toobin

Doesn’t appear there was to many consequences for this? Media tried to talk about and it kinda died

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes, check around you before turning on the camera!  Sometimes the unintended can be funny or  embarrassing or life altering as in Toobin's case.   Our teen grandson thinks we can't see beyond the tidy patch in his room or that he's playing video games while visiting... 

All will be forgotten after a period of time off air and out of the news. Probably will be passed off as an "inadvertent" slip of the hand or muscle spasm that caused his motions.  :jester:

When you have an itch you gotta scratch [emoji16]

• Haha 1

Decorations were all put away yesterday and Monday morning is here.  Even when you've retired from a 35+year M-F job, waking up on Mondays is different!  The first Monday following the Christmas holiday is particularly "challenging."  I'm charged up with the enthusiasm of a new year, but external factors look much the same! ?   Anyway we've committed to a major road trip the moment borders open and shots are in our arms.  Inherent with this goal is a lot of unfinished organizing and a serious look at my vehicle.   She wants me to maintain my current truck to a standard that ensures comfort, safety and reliability on an extended road trip.  My new goal looks more like a red diesel Suburban or Yukon XL!  Boy they are nice, but the premium you pay over a similarly optioned crewcab keeps my goal in the dream category!

Took down decorations this morning. We do candles in the windows. We too are waiting on the next trip to the father in law. We only did one out of 3 last year. His 90th is at the end of the month. We decided to do staggered visit instead of a group celebration. He’s probably up soon for the shot. My mother in law is scheduled for the end of the this month. Heard on the Michael Berry show this morning the flu is just about non existent this year. Wonder if the covid bug is eating it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Took down decorations this morning. We do candles in the windows. We too are waiting on the next trip to the father in law. We only did one out of 3 last year. His 90th is at the end of the month. We decided to do staggered visit instead of a group celebration. He’s probably up soon for the shot. My mother in law is scheduled for the end of the this month. Heard on the Michael Berry show this morning the flu is just about non existent this year. Wonder if the covid bug is eating it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The flu is Non-existent because people are wearing masks....... wait [emoji848]

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RyanbabZ71 said:

The flu is Non-existent because people are wearing masks....... wait emoji848.png

And generally watching their distance and cleaning their hands more than anyone ever has done in the past. entertaining themselves in their spare time instead of hanging out with groups to be entertained.

I'm hoping going forward during normal flu period, people will be much more aware and practices sanitizing their hands and businesses do  more than than they have in past years.

My decorations are coming down today. Only take about 15 minutes outside

Edited by txab

And generally watching their distance and cleaning their hands more than anyone ever has done in the past. entertaining themselves in their spare time instead of hanging out with groups to be entertained.

I'm hoping going forward during normal flu period, people will be much more aware and practices sanitizing their hands and businesses do  more than than they have in past years.

My decorations are coming down today. Only take about 15 minutes outside

Yes but if this was the case wouldn’t the Covid virus be spread a lot less? [emoji848]

I watched outbreak yesterday. Shocking to see people transmitting that virus. In all of my 41 years I have never seen an adult human being sneeze or cough in someone’s face. Little kids yea but never adults walking around

Simply, I think too many have become lax in their habits. Don't want to get too deep into it in this thread

Whole 'nother thread around to have these discussions

Since we had about 4" of snow New Years Eve along with freezing rain the that preceded snow, I've got a few small limbs to pick up around the house

Edited by txab

I was watching an American documentary on 1968 last night.  I was much younger at that time but old enough to be interested in world events.  The part that struck me was how some areas of our lives have changed and where others have not.  Technology, for example, has made considerable advancements. Information(news) was available but not as easily accessed.  I delivered for a major newspaper back then and did my best to make my deliveries asap.  Customers would anxiously await the news of the day and send-in a complaint to my boss if I was late with my delivery!  It was quite a system where you could receive news on a daily basis to your doorstep.  Now, most households have access to news, "live" and in color!  I decided to watch this 1968 show because I have fond memories from that time.  However, the "news" of the day was comparable in angst to news of recent times.  I now have grandchildren who are my 1968 age.  Hopefully, 50 years from now their accounts of 2020/21 will be overshadowed by fond memories!  I'll continue to do my best to ensure this happens even if they remember me as a two-dimensional grandpa! ;-) 

• Like 1