Covid19 Spare time

Donstar

Thank you.

Depression, crime, loss of jobs, drug use, controlling of people, list goes on. What really is worse? I lost my grandmother this year and at the time We weren’t allowed to see her. Big F U to the govt and to all the people who sheepishly follow their “rules”. They all keep breaking their rules with no consequences. They want to punish small business trying to survive but big box stores have been left open all this time with no repercussions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thank you.

Depression, crime, loss of jobs, drug use, controlling of people, list goes on. What really is worse? I lost my grandmother this year and at the time We weren’t allowed to see her. Big F U to the govt and to all the people who sheepishly follow their “rules”. They all keep breaking their rules with no consequences. They want to punish small business trying to survive but big box stores have been left open all this time with no repercussions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea we aren’t having a funeral for my uncle ?

My grandma passed at the end of February and as morbid as it sounds I am happy she passed when she did. We were able to get together and celebrate her life. Looking back This was actually the last time I spoke in person to my uncle [emoji17]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The tragedies and heartache of this pandemic are immense. Some express their concerns in more of a political scenario than a health tragedy but the impact continues to be huge on everyone.  This thread is intended as a lighter conversation as to what we do more of or different with additional free time resulting from the pandemic.  Another member brought up depression and hopefully we can do a little bit to attract our attention away from this very disabling condition.  Depression is not always visible and we need to be active in helping ourselves and others through these  times. My wife and I recently came to the realization that we have not had a house guest/family in our home since last February.  Our family is spread out to other countries, so when they come, they stay for awhile.  Traditionally we either had house guests or were preparing for a visit!  We don't blame others for this  reality and do what we can to compensate in an effort to avoid/reduce depression.  Yesterday, I insured my motorcycle that I had stopped riding for the winter.  Typically we have four months of the year that make for poor riding weather.  However, every month has some potential riding days and we've had a couple this week.  I say this as an example of an intentional effort my wife and I do to make lemonade.  ? 

• Like 2

My condolences to everyone who has lost someone to Covid, either directly, or within the indirect statistics nobody measures. If the loss wasn’t bad enough, the lack of proper memorial services is something I will never forgive our leadership for. If there ever was a reason for a hard exemption to all restrictions, that would be it. Allow the family and friends to decide for themselves and weigh their own risks. Skipping or limiting funerals further limits people’s ability to heal and grieve. It’s not right.

My mother in law’s funeral back in March had 10 people, single chairs spaced in 6 foot circles. Couldn’t even sit next to my wife and she couldn’t sit next to her father. To state the obvious, we had virtually no cases in the area at that time. 

Part came yesterday for the dryer. $10.89 part cost $8.88 to ship and Illinois sales tax took it to $21.01. Took 10 days to get an 2nd day delivery. As aggravating as that was it paled in comparison to a local appliance repair that said coming to the house would cost $75, inspection and diagnosis another $75 and about that much again to order parts and repair it so in his opinion given the machines age we would be better off just buying a new one for $1,000 which they would be happy to deliver for half the projected repair cost. I'll bet they would. 

I spent less than two hours testing, cleaning and making the repair and now have a unit that works, according to a very happy wife, as good as it did when it was new!. Now there's some lemonade. 

My aunt chose as well to ask for nothing more than her obit be published. No gathering nor service. Glad I spent the time I did visiting her before all the crazy stuff. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

If the loss wasn’t bad enough, the lack of proper memorial services is something I will never forgive our leadership for. 

I'm sorry for your loss.  We lost a very close friend in the spring.  It was a challenge having to come up with unfamiliar ways to properly honor this man.   His three daughters were never heard blaming politicians or the coronavirus for the challenges but took all of things they could do to make a most fitting tribute.  I personally had a "scare" fairly recently that led to some related discussions about how I wish to see my life remembered.  No one on any ballot will impact my wishes.  One spare time activity I'm certain many have had is discussing such things.  It is something we all can give to our loved ones so that there isn't guilt or blame.

• Like 1

Not preaching here but rather relaying an personal experience shared with my mother  I find great comfort it....

Acts 24:15 (Byington) "But this I acknowledge to you, it is in the way of the movement they call a sect that I am worshiping our fathers’ God, believing all that the law includes and all that is written in the prophets, having a hope in God, what these are themselves watching for, that there is to be a resurrection of both saints and guilty men..."

My mother believed this to be true to the degree than a moment before her passing she smiled, winked and said, "I'll be right back". 

I remember looking at my father and telling him that whatever that was...I wanted it. What she had was faith he said.

She had no fear of death and did not see it as permanent. She use to quote such scripture as Ecclesiastes 6:4-6:

There is hope for whoever is among the living, ........ For the living know  that they will die,  but the dead know nothing at all,  nor do they have any more reward, because all memory of them is forgotten. Also, their love and their hate and their jealousy have already perished, and they no longer have any share in what is done under the sun

Mom viewed it as a state of rest or as if one were sleeping awaiting THE promise...what is there to morn with such a wonderful hope of that promise!  

Edited by Grumpy Bear
spelling
  • Like 2

Your comment triggered some memories.   I remember debating this with my best friend when motorcycle helmets became law and countless times when my teenage children were asserting their independence.  Placing yourself in unnecessary danger impacts others.  We often change our behaviors for others even if we don't care about ourselves.  Two related images are permanently  planted in my head. One is the day my 17 year old best friend rode up wearing a  black DOT approved full (3/4) helmet while riding his knucklehead chopper.   The other comparable memory is 50 years more recent but just as powerful.   This was the day my other '88 year old friend got into my car wearing a mask.    In both of these scenarios, I felt my friends took these precautions because they knew how I was impacted by their behavior.  Doing, "As you see fit, not as others see fit" sounds good but doesn't always apply especially when referring to personal safety.  Sometimes we exercise safe behavior so that we don't prematurely hurt/leave  others who love or need us.  

9 hours ago, Donstar said:

Your comment triggered some memories.   I remember debating this with my best friend when motorcycle helmets became law and countless times when my teenage children were asserting their independence.  Placing yourself in unnecessary danger impacts others.  We often change our behaviors for others even if we don't care about ourselves.  Two related images are permanently  planted in my head. One is the day my 17 year old best friend rode up wearing a  black DOT approved full (3/4) helmet while riding his knucklehead chopper.   The other comparable memory is 50 years more recent but just as powerful.   This was the day my other '88 year old friend got into my car wearing a mask.    In both of these scenarios, I felt my friends took these precautions because they knew how I was impacted by their behavior.  Doing, "As you see fit, not as others see fit" sounds good but doesn't always apply especially when referring to personal safety.  Sometimes we exercise safe behavior so that we don't prematurely hurt/leave  others who love or need us.  

John 15:13 (Byington)

"Nobody has a greater love than this, that one should lay down his life for his friends."

Roman 5:7 (AMP)

Now it is an extraordinary thing for one to willingly give his life even for an upright man, though perhaps for a good man [one who is noble and selfless and worthy] someone might even dare to die.

It's a long way to 'Do as you see fit" ? 

• Like 1