Covid19 Spare time

Donstar

Our closest friend is turning 89 and also loves life.  We are extra diligent in keeping our distance from her and wearing ppe's when visiting or giving her a hand.  Part of this diligence is avoiding contact with those less dependent on our companionship.  We also have an older neighbor who lives on her own and thrives on company.  She was one who said she'd rather take her chances than be lonely.  Unfortunately she found that people quit coming to her home because of this attitude. Now that she is making the effort, she is getting the necessary companionship.  FWIW My mother was wonderful at proclaiming her willingness to pass away rather than do or endure certain downsides of being very old.  Years after she died, her journals(diaries) debunked this bravado. I don't allow my loved ones to have to choose my attention over risk of infection.  There is a lot of optimism that a vaccine is here which should be incentive for all of us to be even more cautious.   When a runner sees the finish line, s/he gives it their all.  

Aunt Marcella, 90, passed at midnight from Covid-19 at her residence in a hospice where she was admitted 2-1/2 years ago with but days to live we were told. Congestive heart failure. She had other ideas. A real fighter. Up until March when the facility was closed to public and relatives she had lots of visitors. They went total lockdown and for months they were a zero case zone. Seems someone on staff got tired of the rules...... 

Our closest friend is turning 89 and also loves life.  We are extra diligent in keeping our distance from her and wearing ppe's when visiting or giving her a hand.  Part of this diligence is avoiding contact with those less dependent on our companionship.  We also have an older neighbor who lives on her own and thrives on company.  She was one who said she'd rather take her chances than be lonely.  Unfortunately she found that people quit coming to her home because of this attitude. Now that she is making the effort, she is getting the necessary companionship.  FWIW My mother was wonderful at proclaiming her willingness to pass away rather than do or endure certain downsides of being very old.  Years after she died, her journals(diaries) debunked this bravado. I don't allow my loved ones to have to choose my attention over risk of infection.  There is a lot of optimism that a vaccine is here which should be incentive for all of us to be even more cautious.   When a runner sees the finish line, s/he gives it their all.  
I for one will wait or just not get the vaccine. I was notified about volunteering for the trial and then decided not to. The questions about being a candidate was interesting. Do I smoke? Do I drink? Am I overweight? And if I am, how much? How much do I exercise? What’s my life like? What do I eat? Do I stay healthy? The most interesting one was “You can’t father a child.” I said you basically want a complete healthy person that never wants kids, they said yes. I asked so how will you know if it will actually work for the 100s of millions that do that stuff and want to have a healthy baby, she kind of laughed.
Its going to be interesting to see how well this vaccine works on the masses since majority of people are asymptomatic when they do get infected and just never know. Especially the ones that don't fit the perfect human being standard they test on. I am sure some idiot will decide every single person needs to be tested every single week forever. You know, under the guise of safety for all.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Aunt Marcella, 90, passed at midnight from Covid-19 at her residence in a hospice where she was admitted 2-1/2 years ago with but days to live we were told. Congestive heart failure. She had other ideas. A real fighter. Up until March when the facility was closed to public and relatives she had lots of visitors. They went total lockdown and for months they were a zero case zone. Seems someone on staff got tired of the rules...... 
This right here is why when they put out numbers of deaths and Covid it should be broken down by healthy people and people with comorbidities. The only way to get a real picture.

23 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

I'm sorry about your loss.  Age,  or underlying health issues,  do not minimize the impact from the passing of a person you love.  The probability that death at this time may have been avoided by everyone following basic safety protocols exacerbates your pain.  Take care.

• Thanks 1

Over the past couple of days, we and our neighbors have decorated our houses for Christmas.  We typically wait for the first weekend in December but the mood hit early!   We also have the time to put a little extra into our efforts.  I do fear my next door neighbor took too much inspiration from Chevy Chase!  My wife is working on the inside as if we were expecting large gatherings.  The fact is nobody else has been inside our house since the beginning of last February and this will likely last beyond next February.  However, thanks to technology, her efforts will be seen by those who would normally visit.  I am fortunate to be surrounded by people who are not conflicted in their response to the coronavirus.  The camaraderie of friends, family and neighbors over the past months often feels grater than pre-pandemic times.  We work harder at being social and we value what we work to achieve!  

There are some funny commercials catering to those of us gaining weight faster due to Covid19 and Grump's Food & Drink thread.? Recently I decided to resume using a pedometer.  I used one for years but stopped because I had become consistent in achieving a daily count of 10K+.   Guess what?  I found that time had eroded this to only about half of my better self.  I've now had three days in a row of 10k+ steps and I feel the difference!   If you've never tried a pedometer, I highly recommend you give one a try.  The inexpensive belt clip ones are my preferred instrument!  Don't be obsessed with the accuracy but simply try to improve your previous day's total according to the same pedometer.  I keep my daily total on a calendar.  Once my routine is established, I'll go to recording my average over a week.  You will be surprised how insidious your quest for a higher average will become.   

• Like 1

I re- double my weigh watchers goals just before covid. My lifestyle changed little with covid. My iPhone counts steps. I can only do 4-7k steps before hips and knees complain. A by product of my working career. I lost about 20LBs. I’ve been on many diets. This isn’t really, just reprogramming my brain. Part two thanksgiving today 8 people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Donstar said:

There are some funny commercials catering to those of us gaining weight faster due to Covid19 and Grump's Food & Drink thread.? Recently I decided to resume using a pedometer.  I used one for years but stopped because I had become consistent in achieving a daily count of 10K+.   Guess what?  I found that time had eroded this to only about half of my better self.  I've now had three days in a row of 10k+ steps and I feel the difference!   If you've never tried a pedometer, I highly recommend you give one a try.  The inexpensive belt clip ones are my preferred instrument!  Don't be obsessed with the accuracy but simply try to improve your previous day's total according to the same pedometer.  I keep my daily total on a calendar.  Once my routine is established, I'll go to recording my average over a week.  You will be surprised how insidious your quest for a higher average will become.   

I know some people aren’t in love with the idea of the Apple Watch, but if you have an iPhone it would be perfect for you and your goals. It keeps track of steps, calories burned, workouts, idle hours, etc. It even cheers you on throughout the day.

You can review your stats on your phone for each day, or even through the course of years once you’ve had it long enough. Really has helped me keep in somewhat of a shape even though I slack off a bit in winter. The Series 3 is very inexpensive now, just bought my mom one for Christmas.

• Like 1

I have seen stuff about weight gain and covid being the reason. My question is how did covid do this. It was still said to get out and get fresh air. Covid has nothing to do with changing what is eaten. Gyms being closed doesn't mean someone couldn't work out because working out at home can still happen. So I am truly curious how covid caused weight gain to the point where there are commercials and so much talk about it.

1 hour ago, Bash74 said:

I have seen stuff about weight gain and covid being the reason. My question is how did covid do this. It was still said to get out and get fresh air. Covid has nothing to do with changing what is eaten. Gyms being closed doesn't mean someone couldn't work out because working out at home can still happen. So I am truly curious how covid caused weight gain to the point where there are commercials and so much talk about it.

If you asked me when this first started, I would have guessed people would lose weight during Covid. Eating at home instead of going out, not drinking at bars, not much sports on TV, etc. 

Depression is the only answer I can come up with as to why people are gaining. Eating and drinking their feelings. Nobody knows the impact of all this and nobody seems to care. 

• Like 1

If you asked me when this first started, I would have guessed people would lose weight during Covid. Eating at home instead of going out, not drinking at bars, not much sports on TV, etc. 

Depression is the only answer I can come up with as to why people are gaining. Eating and drinking their feelings. Nobody knows the impact of all this and nobody seems to care. 
Maybe that's it. Not sure of the impact on adults but when it comes to kids, most pediatricians and child psychologist will say what is going on is hurting the kids, especially in the long term.