Covid19 Spare time

Donstar

15 hours ago, Bash74 said:

I guess I will stop being an ass and arguing. Still just going to live my life how I decide just like everyone should.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

That would be a good idea because this thread is not about arguing the mask/no mask thing. There are many other things a person needs to do also to stay healthy, that's just common sense.

If this thread turns into the steaming pile the other one became, it will be gone too. Thought I would be able to re-open the previous thread but when I did the first post was to bash the President about Covid. So it was closed again.

This has been a great thread up until the last day or so. I just want to keep it that way, keep it going on the right track. No need to get into the back and forth arguing efficacy of masks or staying home locked up in perpetuity. I think most of us know where the line is. I'd prefer to discuss things that do not include Covid as the main focus, which is why I've enjoyed the thread. Sure, discussing what's happening around your area should be fine and comparing notes with others.

So carry on as before. Let's try to hold to the "Spare Time" aspect of the thread when possible. I think things will be fine with most things that will be discussed. It is interesting to hear what is going on in another members local area with Covid though.

Ultimately this is the OPs thread and up to him if he wishes to stretch it, so if he wishes to restrict Covid talk he can let us know.

Still no "beating a dead horse" arguing though.  :lol:

A few posts have been removed.........

Edited by txab
  • Thanks 1

Locally  we're having cutting horse events taking place. It's in a huge arena that is basically open if the temps permit. Groups are doing what they need to be safe. Usually they are families or small groups from schools that are already around each other anyway. Plenty of room for spectators to spread apart from each other

It's been nice to go watch them work

Edited by txab

56 minutes ago, txab said:

Locally  we're having cutting horse events taking place. It's in a huge arena that is basically open if the temps permit. Groups are doing what they need to be safe. Usually they are families or small groups from schools that are already around each other anyway. Plenty of room for spectators to spread apart from each other

It's been nice to go watch them work

Anything is possible when done with consideration and not just lip service. It doesn't have to be all or nothing. I has to be safe for everyone. 

• Like 1

Part of my spare time I track worldwide case numbers. Hobby let's call it. 

From the first reported case it took 113 days to reach the first million cases

It now takes:

2 Days

9 Hours

7 Minutes

to add another million cases. 

At the end of the day yesterday my wife said, "This has been the best Halloween ever!"  I don't know how widespread this sentiment is but we had a pretty spook-tackular evening.  Our traditional trick-or-treat numbers are pretty low and we anticipated this would drop to zero last night because of Covid19 restrictions..  We decided to go to the Dollar Store and buy trinkets for a few goodie bags.  My wife made them up c/w name tags and at suppertime we went out and delivered them to the front porch of our neighbors' children. We knocked on their door,  kept our distance, and said trick or treat as the kids picked up their goodie bags.  No muss, no fuss, done!

• Like 2

Quite a few people posted on Facebook that they would be at a certain location, some were their homes, some were just a parking lot. They distributed candies that way and the kids got to display their costumes. One family on my street invited everyone on the street (8 blocks) to a yard party. I didn't plan on attending, but glad I didn't. Not a lot of good practices being observed at the time I passed by. Hopefully that was just a fluke and they rectified it

Edited by txab
  • Like 2

Halloween was a bust here. Never saw so few kids trick and treating. And never saw so few houses handing out candy. We put a bucket of candy on the porch and hardly moved any of it.

It’s really too bad we continue to sacrifice their childhood for this. People should spend some Covid spare time gaining perspective from their local medical examiner’s logs instead of focusing on “cases”. Think this 76 year old was going to be trick or treating?

03FE327C-37A0-4460-8AB9-03D0D60A0BD4.thumb.jpeg.797ad54876dfa0efea1f92ab3d22ccb1.jpeg

• Like 1

Some neighbors put up a station with a scarecrow sitting in a chair holding a bucket of candy. They roped off a barrier of respectable distance and sat back with a few brews to keep a rein on things. (Older kids like to empty the pot, sad) It's a neighborhood of about 50 homes. The event seemed to pass without much notice. Hours were limited by the local law to between 4pm and 8pm. 

• Like 1

Halloween no different then any other year. Kids came to door, dropped some candy in bag and thats it. Most of the kids all hangout next to each other all day anyways so nothing to change just for trick or treating.
I can say these days it would be great time to be a kid.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

I buy weekly lottery tickets and have for decades.  I've had no big winners but enough little ones to keep me hooked!  The pandemic closed my favored place to get my tickets checked. This didn't stop me from buying tickets as they are available where we shop for groceries.   For a period of time, I let my unchecked tickets accumulate until I finally added an app to my phone designed to check our provincial lottery tickets.   My favored store has opened back up again but I still let my tickets accumulate and will check them myself when I feel the urge.   My mother justified her weekly ticket purchase by saying they are a cheap dream.  She meant this in a most positive light and because of this, I like to always have a ticket in my wallet!  Yesterday, on my Sunday truck shopping routine, I discovered my dealership took recent delivery on a 2021  1500 black High Country D-max  and a 2021 3500 black High Country D-max.  Both had tow mirrors and all of the popular options.  Needless to say, it's time to check my tickets!  My first thought this morning, is if I did win, which one would I choose??  I know chances are excellent that this dream will be dashed but I thought I'd share this simple strategy added to the hope side of my brain!  

• Like 1

I like to drive....just drive. Country back roads for hours on nice sunny low wind days. Cold or hot matters not. Just me and the pup. This time of year those days are few so we enjoy them even more. I always thought, "The Wind City" was a statement of political nature but....it seems the lake has a good deal to do with the winds even a hundred miles from it's shores. 

Pup has a favorite spot along the Rock river. A Shell Station that serves on the premises made beer batter chicken breast and decent, for a gas station, coffee. (I get the coffee) Small town of a few hundred called Grand Detour. There's a Blacksmith Shoppe there of the time of John Deere. Part of the tourist site actually. It's worth an hour of your time to watch old world craft. I hope they weather this storm. Donations keeps them afloat. 

It's one of those places people in a hurry miss. Always in such a hurry. Coming from nowhere, going nowhere all ending in the same place eventually. People might be surprised at the joy they miss in that hurry. I notice it greatly when I eat. 

I was fortunate to keep up to date with personal tech devices as part of professional development in my career. During my past 10 years of retirement, my growth in this area has been slow.  Over the past 7 months, our TV's and phones have been upgraded and our laptops are up to date but due for replacement.   I feel this is the right time to advance my expertise to a more current level.   However, I know advancements/improvements/changes happen at a rate that will always keep me with more to learn.  I run with a crowd who reminisce about their offices upgrading to electric typewriters so it is not uncommon for me to be asked for technical help.  Some are more willing to listen than others.  I recently purchased a $300 unlocked phone from Costco and it will meet all my needs and give me room for growth.  My friend who needs help hooking up a TV set,  just bought a $1500 cell phone.  When asked why she needs such an expensive phone, "cuz it's better" was the response.  My "why" and "how"  follow-up questions simply triggered the original response.  IMO, the most useful aspect of these personal devices is the ability to have immediate access to information.  We no longer have to wait until our next visit to the library to better inform our own opinions!

Edited by Donstar

4 hours ago, Donstar said:

IMO, the most useful aspect of these personal devices is the ability to have immediate access to information.  We no longer have to wait until our next visit to the library to better inform our own opinions!

Two edge sword, right? 

I had this boss once upon a time in a land far way that liked, a few times a week, to ask me to add to my daily activities "just one more thing, it will only take a minute". 

Several times a shift we gathered samples in jars with lids, each packed in its own box. One day the boss is asking for "one more minute" and I said louder than average....CATCH and tossed a lid at him at his desk a few feet away. With hardly a look he snatched it from the air and giggled. 

I then grabbed a double fist full and repeated. Lids went everywhere and he caught none. I giggled and said:

"You're out of minutes sir."

My doctor tells me that our absent mindedness is more information overload than the physical decay of old age. I tended to believe him after he asked if after trying to remember a thing that escaped me if it came to me later. Sure I said. Then my friend it isn't Alzheimer's, Dementia or Senility. If it were, the memory would not return. Read less. Watch less. Stress less.

• Like 1