Covid19 Spare time

Donstar

I tried a recipe for scratch tomato soup today and learned allot from the experience. Technique things you do in the kitchen make a big difference in the joy you get from the experience. Scratch taste nothing like canned soups and don't read like a chemistry set supply cabinet. That doesn't mean is was great but it did give me the confidence to try again with some improvements learned from this experience. The grilled cheese was off the hook however. ?聽Now...where's my Tumms.....

12 hours ago, txab said:

I make homemade chicken soup during the colder months

Hard to beat that one for comfort foods. I have a veggie聽soup we make in the winter and the wife a vegan chili that's not to bad. (I am a meat eater however). Still...it's that time of year. So....chicken veg or chicken noodle or........聽

I usually make it in a crock pot and it's chicken with noodles.. Many times the chicken is already cooked and leftover from another meal. Another way I use leftover chicken and turkey is to make pot pies. Make several at a time and freeze them for later. Better than anything you'll buy in the store. Just use a pre-made pie crust in pan, topped with a pre-made roll out pie crust. My pot pies were a lot better before the Mrs. died a few years back. She could make the best pie crust dough from scratch. Me? Not so much

• Like 2

23 hours ago, txab said:

I usually make it in a crock pot and it's chicken with noodles.. Many times the chicken is already cooked and leftover from another meal. Another way I use leftover chicken and turkey is to make pot pies. Make several at a time and freeze them for later. Better than anything you'll buy in the store. Just use a pre-made pie crust in pan, topped with a pre-made roll out pie crust. My pot pies were a lot better before the Mrs. died a few years back. She could make the best pie crust dough from scratch. Me? Not so much

Thank you for sharing this story.聽 聽Over聽almost 50 years together my wife and I have each "specialized" in different areas.聽 We now find we're more and more showing each other how we do things for that time when one of us is alone.聽 Your example hit a real note with me as I just recently completed a shepherds pie with potato topping lesson!聽 聽My task recently was to see my wife setting up and using her cell phone for things other than voice calling. She does fine with technical stuff just as I know my way around the kitchen but it is interesting how the years have found us assuming specific roles.

• Like 2

My wife and I are going on 48 years. The majority of my life I was self employed and very busy. Basic lawn mowing and collector cars was my world when not working. Retirement at 58 left more time than I knew what do with. Besides travel I became domesticated. My wife is out going. Working with our church, her mother, my mother she鈥檚 usually out from 11-5. I鈥檓 more domestic and stay around the house. I鈥檓 a loner. Funny how my working life was opposite of that. I鈥檝e taken over the house inside and out. My wife still does dinner and her laundry. It freaks the kids and grandkids out. They grew up around a type A mover and shaker. The first holiday after my retirement with about 30 relatives around. The staring slack jawed people watching me load the dishwasher was priceless. They鈥檙e used to me saying someone bring me a drink. While I鈥檓 watching football, belching. Even the guys bring me the dishes to clean and load the dishwasher. I started something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wife and I have been together twenty nine聽years and she is eleven years and change my junior. We both started this with much different views and ideas of our roles than we currently have and I expect that will continue to change as we adapt to our age, our circumstance both inside and outside our walls. We've had times where we share the same interest and the same people and times when neither are true. Those sorts of things, my experience tells me, drive people to and over the edge. I've heard it called 'growing apart'. We call it life. I've noted that common interest can keep people together and that a change of interest by one party or both will set them adrift. But there is one thing that seems alter that聽outcome greatly. A shared morality. Not just shared with each other but with God as well and in spite of any current social view of the matter. That "threefold cord" spoken of in the Bible.聽Ecclesiastes 4:12 mentions it. We just let him decide the big stuff. Man does that make things easier and there isn't any tug of war over whos view or need is greater. We didn't start like that and we could have saved ourselves allot of touch and go if we had. Hey, you don't know what you don't know. Right. It's just gotten smoother.聽

Friends we haven't seen for awhile met us聽for coffee yesterday.聽 Our lack of connection is partially due to living 100聽miles apart and the rest due to Covid19 related concerns.聽 We agreed to meet at a coffee shop in a beautiful little village that is midway for both of us to travel.聽 It is a place I聽haven't visited for about a year.聽聽聽The town's transformation in order to comply with Covid19 guidelines was聽 palpable.聽 We sat in the coffee shop for about two hours and wandered the downtown streets for another hour or so.聽 It is a seaside tourist attraction and the restrictions didn't appear to detract from the bustle or enjoyment.聽 The strategies including signage, abundant hand washing stations,聽 mask availability, partitions etc. made non-compliance inexcusable.聽 During our four hour stay, I never came within at least 10' of a person without a mask.聽 Indoors it was always 100% adherence to mask wearing even though not compulsory in our province.聽 The point that struck me hard was that I'm certain we must have crossed paths with people who were opposed to these changes but were complying. You聽would have stood out like a sore thumb if you were out of step with community expectations!聽 聽聽聽The town successfully made it more comfortable and normal to comply than not!聽 The population density of this little town聽 is high聽 and demonstrates how larger urban environments can be safe and fully functional when everyone participates.聽At one point we mused at the memory of聽the proliferation of "no shoes, no shirt, no service"聽 signs in the 60's and 70's.聽 We all had friends actually opposing/challenging聽 such restrictions! I remember one friend in particular who stood his ground in a favored聽 pub with his opposition to the no shirt rule. The "no service" part to this rule brought peer pressure onto our friend swiftly!聽 Peer pressure (and beer) is a powerful motivator!

Friends we haven't seen for awhile met us聽for coffee yesterday.聽 Our lack of connection is partially due to living 100聽miles apart and the rest due to Covid19 related concerns.聽 We agreed to meet at a coffee shop in a beautiful little village that is midway for both of us to travel.聽 It is a place I聽haven't visited for about a year.聽聽聽The town's transformation in order to comply with Covid19 guidelines was聽 palpable.聽 We sat in the coffee shop for about two hours and wandered the downtown streets for another hour or so.聽 It is a seaside tourist attraction and the restrictions didn't appear to detract from the bustle or enjoyment.聽 The strategies including signage, abundant hand washing stations,聽 mask availability, partitions etc. made non-compliance inexcusable.聽 During our four hour stay, I never came within at least 10' of a person without a mask.聽 Indoors it was always 100% adherence to mask wearing even though not compulsory in our province.聽 The point that struck me hard was that I'm certain we must have crossed paths with people who were opposed to these changes but were complying. You聽would have stood out like a sore thumb if you were out of step with community expectations!聽 聽聽聽The town successfully made it more comfortable and normal to comply than not!聽 The population density of this little town聽 is high聽 and demonstrates how larger urban environments can be safe and fully functional when everyone participates.聽At one point we mused at the memory of聽the proliferation of "no shoes, no shirt, no service"聽 signs in the 60's and 70's.聽 We all had friends actually opposing/challenging聽 such restrictions! I remember one friend in particular who stood his ground in a favored聽 pub with his opposition to the no shirt rule. The "no service" part to this rule brought peer pressure onto our friend swiftly!聽 Peer pressure (and beer) is a powerful motivator!
I can say in my area its the opposite. Even in stores that say need a mask, like grocery stores,or Walmart, still not everyone wears a mask and it doesn't bother people. In bars and restaurants very few wear a mask or social distance. The ones that do are actually the outliers. At the same time though not many people care if someone is wearing one or not because its there choice to make. I think its all dependent on the area and information. When the data is always updated, all numbers are presented for people to see, and they see cases go up but no increase in hospitalization in the area, people think differently and way the risk. When all said and done people are choose to mask up and distance or not.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

864e236d5f1a11efec979710172c524a.jpg聽Saw this in a gas station today, right next to, "No Shirt, no shoes, no service".聽

I鈥檇 tell them I diaper my children鈥檚 butt鈥檚 I don鈥檛 diaper my face. It鈥檚 a peaceful protest to not wear a mask and freedom of speech is protected by the US constitution!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Confused 1

In 2019 it was, "Stay away from negative people".

In 2020 it's, "Stay away from positive people".

Confusing, right?聽

?

Then I saw the guy next door talking to his dog like it could understand him. Right.聽

I told my cat about it and we had a good laugh.聽

IMG_1690.JPG.f7fdf6ee70277973d971cc33ed5a3c74.JPG

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 1