Covid19 Spare time

Donstar

30 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

We've had an uptick in all raspatory ailments in our county. COVID levels alone have brought back mask requirements in all health facilities. 

Yes, we're following mask requirements in all our health facilities. The public health nurses who visit our home are also required to wear masks.  Our local hospital had a covid outbreak while my wife was a patient.  It was restricted to one floor.  It was good that the rest of the hospital wasn't affected but I thought it strange sharing the same elevators with those coming and going to the affected floor.  Apparently visitors are given a disposable outfit to wear when on the floor with covid but we've certainly relaxed our guard!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KARNUT said:

She needed a rod inserted. There was talk of possibly not doing it because of her age. That would have been a death sentence. They at that age are worried about survival through the process. I’m like really! Do the surgery. Death is certain otherwise. She walks a lot. This is why I walk everyday. Walking daily probably saved her life.

My wife gets a call from the social advocate at the hospital claiming her mother didn’t do well with the first attempt at walking. So about 8 hours after getting the rod put in and after the doctor says we just want her to just sit at the end of her bed. There’re wanting her to dance I guess. She’s recommending a nursing home instead of rehab. Luckily my wife while picking up clothes at the assisted living facility she’s staying warned her this could happen. A generic response because of her age. My wife informed the person that’s not happening and already had contact with a rehab facility she used to work at. The doctor didn’t even expect her to put weight on it this soon. Idiots. My wife will straighten them out. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KARNUT said:

My wife gets a call from the social advocate at the hospital claiming her mother didn’t do well with the first attempt at walking. So about 8 hours after getting the rod put in and after the doctor says we just want her to just sit at the end of her bed. There’re wanting her to dance I guess. She’s recommending a nursing home instead of rehab. Luckily my wife while picking up clothes at the assisted living facility she’s staying warned her this could happen. A generic response because of her age. My wife informed the person that’s not happening and already had contact with a rehab facility she used to work at. The doctor didn’t even expect her to put weight on it this soon. Idiots. My wife will straighten them out. 

Last update on this. Today after having this surgery New Year’s Day evening. And finally the meds and fatigue wearing off. She had a full 24 hours of a broken bone and her foot pointed the wrong way. Before surgery. My wife with the PT watch her walk. The physical therapist people were shocked. Nursing home, idiots. 

• Like 2

How's the missus  doing Grumpy? They test the sewer water  here in Mass to see if Covid , the flu and RSV are increasing and it is. Some healthcare places requiring masks now.

Edited by richard wysong
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, richard wysong said:

How's the missus  doing Grumpy? They test the sewer water  here in Mass to see if Covid , the flu and RSV are increasing and it is. Some healthcare places requiring masks now.

Swelling is being stubborn, and she has a cast blister the size of an almond. Very uncomfortable. Thanks for the ask. 😉 

• Like 6

I received a phone call from a cousin who I haven't spoken to in years.  I assumed she was phoning to inform me of the death of a relative but she surprised me by inviting us to a 100th birthday celebration for her mother.   I was relieved but question the wisdom of bringing a large group of people together,  most of who will be older seniors, for a huge celebration.    We were invited to a relative's New Year's party but declined because of my wife's recent surgery.  (We're glad we didn't go because hangovers from that party were covid and flu!)   We graciously accepted this recent  invitation with the assumption we're in good health at the time.   I sincerely hope the other guests respond with the same caveat!  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Donstar said:

I received a phone call from a cousin who I haven't spoken to in years.  I assumed she was phoning to inform me of the death of a relative but she surprised me by inviting us to a 100th birthday celebration for her mother.   I was relieved but question the wisdom of bringing a large group of people together,  most of who will be older seniors, for a huge celebration.    We were invited to a relative's New Year's party but declined because of my wife's recent surgery.  (We're glad we didn't go because hangovers from that party were covid and flu!)   We graciously accepted this recent  invitation with the assumption we're in good health at the time.   I sincerely hope the other guests respond with the same caveat!  

All growing up even to this day. The holidays and indoor activities there was a 50/50 chance of some kind of bug. This year we had to delay thanksgiving one day. Thanksgiving eve my son in law got a positive test for Covid. Just after his booster. He was down for a week. Their kids and my daughter who’s never got a shot got a mild form. Christmas Day we of course got the whole crew. They all got the flu. Symptoms that night. The COVID group got spared. My wife and me spared too. We were all together and of course hugs and kisses. It’s amazing how that works. Unless you’re in the co-mobility group live your life at your comfort level. My daughter has lupus. Almost died in the first go round. This time her husband was bed ridden, she lite flu symptoms. 

• Like 1

Our local hospitals are seeing more new patients than during the peak Covid years.  We have to visit our local hospital every two weeks for follow-up and you can literally feel a building that is functioning far beyond its design.   The main reason for this is flu and covid related admissions.  With this in mind, close to a hundred guests are coming from far and wide to party with my Aunt on her 100th birthday.  I feel I am helping to support the cause of overcrowding of our hospitals.  I am particularly worried that the chance of one of us guests leaving my 100 year old aunt with a need for hospitalization could very possibly be an outcome of her special party!

• Like 1

Mrs. Bear had her stitches out yesterday. Replaced with Steir Strip.  Surgery wound seems to be healing well. More blisters. Girls got a 10-pound ham on the bone for a foot. No idea it would take months perhaps for the swelling to go down. None of my broken bones ever required that much hardware. 😬 Still her getting her pain and discomfort questions answered had quieted her mind. She slept well last night. Another visit in a week. Keeping a close eye on infection. 

She's become a bit more mobile. Can move herself from wheelchair to wherever she needs to go next. My back is thankful. 

• Like 5

We get a little touchy when we lose our independence. ^^^😉  My wife still carries around a wound vac but now tries to carry on as she did in the past.  Fortunately for both of us many of the tasks I dislike are within her physical limitations and she feels good helping me with the 1001 tasks she typically does in a day!!   For the past several years, I leave a little written summary of our holiday season packed away with our decorations.  Yesterday, I wrote the Christmas '23 note before packing the containers into the crawl space. I think someone reading over the past 15 entries would conclude this Christmas was most special for us.  Adversity led us to an extended level of closeness that can't be achieved under traditional festive activities.  Of course, we look forward to future more typical family Christmases and hope to never have a repeat of '23!  However, the good that came out when brainstorming for our annual note will never be forgotten!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

We are trying to transition back to our normal routines as my wife becomes more able.  Yesterday, we pretended it was like a work day and wrote out a day plan complete with time allotted for each task!  We both accomplished what we needed and look forward to our "day off" today!   I know there are individuals who worry that they won't have enough to do when they retire but I wish to enlighten those people to the reality that your schedule will fill up fast!    

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Donstar said:

We are trying to transition back to our normal routines as my wife becomes more able.  Yesterday, we pretended it was like a work day and wrote out a day plan complete with time allotted for each task!  We both accomplished what we needed and look forward to our "day off" today!   I know there are individuals who worry that they won't have enough to do when they retire but I wish to enlighten those people to the reality that your schedule will fill up fast!    

It doesn’t help that it takes longer to do tasks. I just spent a day in a half to do a job that would have taken a couple hours 20 years ago. That wouldn’t be so bad. The recovery time takes twice as long. Muscle cramps are so much fun. I must learn to hire some tasks out.

Edited by KARNUT
  • Like 2

Last oil change it took me 2 days to recover from it. Bad back for years, comes from many years of physical labor working construction.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, diyer2 said:

Last oil change it took me 2 days to recover from it. Bad back for years, comes from many years of physical labor working construction.

Last year I talked myself into replacing a caliber on my avalanche. I like working on it because there’s no surprises. There’s seems to be manufactured traps on newer vehicles to discourage shade tree work. I learned my lesson. It’s not fun anymore. Oil changes, I’ll pay the 20 dollars to get it done elsewhere. 

• Like 3