Covid19 Spare time

Donstar

49 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

About thirty hours ago we lost all COVID free time. Mrs. Bear took a nasty fall breaking several bones in her lower leg and ankle. Five hours in the emergency room without resolution. We have an appointment with a surgeon in few days. For the next few months, she becomes my 24/7 responsibility. It's hard to watch someone suffer knowing the best you can do is far from what you wish you could do. I'm going to see how tough we really are.   

So sorry Grumpy. May she heal quick. 

Please pass on our best wishes for a speedy recovery for Mrs. Bear.  Your personal commitment to her 24/7 care speaks to your love for each other and this ordeal will only serve to strengthen this love.   Mrs. Donstar and I, at least, have had time to prepare for her upcoming need for care.  Where practical, we have made arrangement to free me up to be available for her.  I learned 25 years ago when she went through major emergency surgery that nothing is more important during such times than protecting your spouse and helping her/him feel safe.  Everything else can wait or be done by someone else!  Family and friends will offer their services and be sure to tell them what you need.  Otherwise, they may find ways to help that aren't very helpful to your wife or you!  You don't want to add caring for your helpers to your list of responsibilities!

• Like 2

I have had some medical issues lately that has changed my life. I believe some of the medication they gave me caused some of my problems. I'm prone to side effects. 

• Like 1

I appreciate you all. Not even 48 hours and cracks in my armor are showing. Helping her get up and down is having a toll on my bad back. The rest keeps me busy and focused. Things to figure out. Moved some furniture to make trips to the water closet less of a mine field. I have source a wheelchair.  

Biggest issue so for is the bulky soft cast and unset bones. The pain that causes her when standing, it hurts us both. The pain in her heart. She already is overly apologetic. Nothing to be sorry for. Yet.... The time all this takes. Lines are long for doctors. Longer for surgeons. 

I certainly have a new appreciation for all that she does. I gave her a bell. :) Handy at 4 AM. For both of us. 😉   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grumpy Bear said:

I appreciate you all. Not even 48 hours and cracks in my armor are showing. Helping her get up and down is having a toll on my bad back. The rest keeps me busy and focused. Things to figure out. Moved some furniture to make trips to the water closet less of a mine field. I have source a wheelchair.  

Biggest issue so for is the bulky soft cast and unset bones. The pain that causes her when standing, it hurts us both. The pain in her heart. She already is overly apologetic. Nothing to be sorry for. Yet.... The time all this takes. Lines are long for doctors. Longer for surgeons. 

I certainly have a new appreciation for all that she does. I gave her a bell. :) Handy at 4 AM. For both of us. 😉   

Does your local Red Cross have an equipment loan program?  There are some items that can make the heavy stuff more manageable. Something so simple as a commode on wheels can greatly reduce your workload and stress on her leg.  They also have indoor transport chairs and some useful stuff that they may offer!  I know this service is available in Canada and probably something similar or better is offered where you live.  

Edited by Donstar
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

About thirty hours ago we lost all COVID free time. Mrs. Bear took a nasty fall breaking several bones in her lower leg and ankle. Five hours in the emergency room without resolution. We have an appointment with a surgeon in few days. For the next few months, she becomes my 24/7 responsibility. It's hard to watch someone suffer knowing the best you can do is far from what you wish you could do. I'm going to see how tough we really are.   

Sorry to hear.  Hoping for a speedy recovery and not much pain.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, diyer2 said:

I have had some medical issues lately that has changed my life. I believe some of the medication they gave me caused some of my problems. I'm prone to side effects. 

20 hours ago, diyer2 said:

Grumpy, 

Start making phone calls and push them. I had to do this.

Excellent points.  One thing I tell those who expect too much from their doctors is that he/she is not laying awake at night worrying about how you are doing.  Your  Doctor has hundreds of other patients and it is up to you to keep them informed about changes or issues.  Your physician is also human and we often feel strained to share certain things.  A Doctor who has been in the profession for 5 minutes has seen and heard stuff that most won't in a lifetime!    Prescription drugs are often a topic of conversation around our peers.  "The pills my doctor gave me were no good"  or "I quit taking those" or some other gesture of not working in concert with their doctor.  The real hairpuller is when an adult tells me that they didn't tell the doctor something significant or they stretched the truth.  Like you, I react negatively to some prescriptions.  I stop taking the offending drug and I immediately make an appointment.  Chances are good that the Doctor has an alternative that he will offer. 

• Like 2

Sorry to hear about this Grumpy, prayers for your wife and you. If you haven't thought of this already you might check out if your locality has a program for meals on wheels for seniors. If you could get just one prepared meal per day it would take some of the load off of you. When my wife was facing rotator cuff surgery a couple of years ago I checked into such a program, but the wait time here was longer than her recovery time, so we passed. It sounds like your wife will have an extended recovery time, so it might be worth your while. Good luck to the both of you.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, garagerog said:

Sorry to hear about this Grumpy, prayers for your wife and you. If you haven't thought of this already you might check out if your locality has a program for meals on wheels for seniors. If you could get just one prepared meal per day it would take some of the load off of you. When my wife was facing rotator cuff surgery a couple of years ago I checked into such a program, but the wait time here was longer than her recovery time, so we passed. It sounds like your wife will have an extended recovery time, so it might be worth your while. Good luck to the both of you.

We should know more by tomorrow afternoon after the doctor's appointment. I got a wheelchair from a gal pal at church. That has been very useful. And less risky that crutches over carpet. Her pain level has lessened after the first 36 hours although the blood rush when she is upright drivers her batty for a while or if it gets bumped. Floppy. Yuck! 

She likes my cooking 😉 Who knew. :crackup:I enjoy that anyway. 

Long day tomorrow. So later gators and watch your step! :) 

• Like 1