Covid19 Spare time

Donstar

I retired early selling my part of the family business to take care of my wife. A routine surgery was botched requiring 5 more corrective surgeries to remedy. Over five years. During that time and from that time on I picked up some household duties I took for granted. I do my own laundry, dishes during the day tidying the house etc. I have a large yard. Instead of having to do it all at once I spread it out. While checking out retirement villages we quickly found out  It’s cheaper to stay home using services like lawn care when needed. You can modify your home as needed, if needed to stay there comfortably. Everything you need can be delivered. After checking out assisted living when the time comes I wouldn’t have a problem going there. My wife is way more social than me. If driving becomes a problem and she’s stuck with just me, we’ll make that move. My kids still think I’m a rock. I’ll fool them as long as I can. My father suffered in silence until the end. His act has always been hard to follow. Tough as nails. Same with my father in law. I’m trying to live up to their standards. At least there’s those icy hot type rub ons that help along the way. 

Edited by KARNUT
  • Like 4

34 minutes ago, Donstar said:

Physical shortcomings can be compensated by a healthy brain!

Few years ago, the neighbors took her mother's driver's license from her. She didn't resist or if she did, it was never mentioned. It was also quite sad IMHO. 

Dad just passed his renewal at 95 and still drives better than most half his age. He did give up his motorcycle endorsement a few renewals ago but gave up riding in his 70's. He's always been good like that. Knows his limitations and never exceeds his abilities. He's made his own plans and I honor his wishes even when not spoken. We are always glad to see each other even though they are becoming fewer. I don't travel as well as I use to.  :( 

Family is just a phone call away when help is requested. He does ask when he feels the need. So, I don't 'nanny' him. He's sharper than I am, and I will not take his dignity from him. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I treated ourselves to shingles and pneumonia vaccines this week.  We have to pay for these particular vaccines so they were an early Christmas present to each other!  We have people close to us who have recently experienced these maladies and we wish not to share their experiences!  Our reaction from the vaccines was painful enough!  Maintaining our boomer  bodies is like  keeping a high mileage vehicle on the road!  Covid has dominated the watch list for most people for quite awhile.  The first thing most of our friends do when feeling poorly is use a home covid test.  These kits are free, reasonably accurate and easily accessible.   The problem is, people interpret a negative covid test as permission to share personal space with others.  We are focused in making sure my wife is in optimal health for her upcoming surgery.  We were approached by a friend yesterday and I commented that she sounded terribly unwell.  Her response was that  she'll be fine and that she tested negative for covid!   It's wonderful she'll be fine but keeping your distance when you are sick was proper even before we ever heard of Covid!  Christmas is a very social time and it is a sad time to be sick but stay home if you are.  Friends may express their upset if you don't show up for their celebration but they would be more upset with you if you showed up and shared your illness!

• Like 1

It’s a proper dilemma these days after Covid. I remember the cold was something we lived with, nothing to fear. Almost any illness can be deadly. My brothers son in law had a minor cold years ago while skiing. A few months later had a heart episode. Turns out the cold affected his heart. He’s been on disability ever since. I’m often reminded that people south of our border can drink their water. We can’t. Our body adjusts and builds immunity. My daughter recently got Covid again. With lupus it put her in the hospital the first time. This time it wasn’t a big deal. Her husband a CFO at a hospital with a recent booster was in bed for a week. Some say the recent outbreak in China is the result of isolation from Covid. Immunities weakened. No wonder it’s called practicing medicine. They haven’t gotten a lot right lately. 

• Like 2

Got RSV and update on tetanus. I asked Dr when will I die or lose my mind fully. I need to plan as I hold off social security. VA continues to wait for me to die or be housed in Denver at the hospital for the remainder of my natural life. No one has been able to assist me to solve for X ( date of death or fully lost mind with dementia).  I don't fickin' really care for me. I care for my dear female life assistant. 

• Like 2

Just now, customboss said:

Got RSV and update on tetanus. I asked Dr when will I die or lose my mind fully. I need to plan as I hold off social security. VA continues to wait for me to die or be housed in Denver at the hospital for the remainder of my natural life. No one has been able to assist me to solve for X ( date of death or fully lost mind with dementia).  I don't fickin' really care for me. I care for my dear female life assistant. 

PS she and @Grumpy Bears wife need medals and lifetime chocolate.  😂

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, customboss said:

PS she and @Grumpy Bears wife need medals and lifetime chocolate.  😂

People who have served have benefits that help them through retirement and medical situations. When my father in law was first admitted to the hospital in Fayetteville a social services person was on it at the get go. Being he served for 27 years she said he had the golden ticket. Once she realized my wife was pretty knowledgeable through her research. She went from at in command position to an assistant position. Knowing where to access the information is the key. Residing in Fayetteville near a base was the was a big help in his case. There just happens to be a great place that accepts military benefits close by our house. It would be amusing if my wife’s parents who have been divorced over 50 years end up in the same place. My wife is power of attorney for both, it could happen. 

Edited by KARNUT
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

People who have served have benefits that help them through retirement and medical situations. When my father in law was first admitted to the hospital in Fayetteville a social services person was on it at the get go. Being he served for 27 years she said he had the golden ticket. Once she realized my wife was pretty knowledgeable through her research. She went from at in command position to an assistant position. Knowing where to access the information is the key. Residing in Fayetteville near a base was the was a big help in his case. There just happens to be a great place that accepts military benefits close by our house. It would be amusing if my wife’s parents who have been divorced over 50 years end up in the same place. My wife is power of attorney for both, it could happen. 

I was stationed at Bragg for 5 years and get it. I am glad your wife takes care of him and is a excellent VA and medical care advocate. 

• Like 1

On 11/24/2023 at 6:49 AM, customboss said:

Man that sucks. Mom passed away 2 months ago 1500 miles away. Found out her husband kept her in a house loaded with bedbugs ( which didn’t help a a aortic aneurism that killed her)  since passing no

one without a tyvek suit.can enter. He’s dumb and greedy and boy is he surprised that she really had no wealth. We kids are happy to

let him enjoy the mess. 

Sorry for your loss.

I'm afraid I'd have to drag her husband behind the woodshed and beat eff out of him with a rubber hose. Then maybe trim a few nails back to the knuckle

• Like 3

23 hours ago, customboss said:

RSV is also in our sights.  Tetanus is probably due and thanks for the reminder.  This is one that I typically receive following a careless moment fixing or building stuff!   Solving for X (DOD) is an equation I prefer not to have an answer and I dread the day a Doctor tells me the day is imminent.  I do hope that when this day does come, I'm more prepared.  In the meantime, I'll make a reasonable effort to collect birthday candles!  I still have a notorious bad habit started in my teens and a strong attraction to riding Harley Davidson motorcycles so there are major gaps in my efforts!   

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, txab said:

Sorry for your loss.

I'm afraid I'd have to drag her husband behind the woodshed and beat eff out of him with a rubber hose. Then maybe trim a few nails back to the knuckle

He's a former USMC officer that must have been the last man in his class to make it through OCS. Physical pain would not harm him....he has dementia and is stupid and doesn't know he's stupid.  My mom kept him  in place because she had "needs"  ......he had things that were still stiff besides his mind, and he worked overtime to get her $$.  Elder abuse is not something I will participate in.....sadly.  

My wife got a call from the rehab facility my father in law is currently. He’s tested positive for Covid. He’s been there 3 weeks after being at the hospital 1 week. When we checked the place out prior to him being admitted they were following Coving protocols. They beep you in and you are required to sanitize your hands then put on a mask. This before you sign in. He is up on all boosters. So far he just has a cough. No one who has visited from the family has Covid. This is 3 times for him. 

• Like 1

About thirty hours ago we lost all COVID free time. Mrs. Bear took a nasty fall breaking several bones in her lower leg and ankle. Five hours in the emergency room without resolution. We have an appointment with a surgeon in few days. For the next few months, she becomes my 24/7 responsibility. It's hard to watch someone suffer knowing the best you can do is far from what you wish you could do. I'm going to see how tough we really are.   

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

About thirty hours ago we lost all COVID free time. Mrs. Bear took a nasty fall breaking several bones in her lower leg and ankle. Five hours in the emergency room without resolution. We have an appointment with a surgeon in few days. For the next few months, she becomes my 24/7 responsibility. It's hard to watch someone suffer knowing the best you can do is far from what you wish you could do. I'm going to see how tough we really are.   

Sorry to hear that. Wishing you and her all the best. 

• Like 5