Covid19 Spare time

Donstar

On 3/30/2023 at 8:42 AM, Donstar said:

On Tuesday we were notified that we were eligible for a Covid booster and we received them Wednesday morning.  It looks like today we'll be taking it easy as our bodies sort out the vaccine! The supply and distribution of this stuff has certainly evolved!   Coincidently, yesterday afternoon we were notified that one of our children-in-law went to the hospital with Covid.  I am not sparking a discussion about anyone's' position on vaccines or Covid but simply pointing out how we have adapted to living with this virus.  I know we certainly didn't eradicate Covid but the fear has largely gone away.   Our reaction to hearing that a close family member was in the hospital with Covid would have garnered a horrible reaction not too long ago!  Now, we asked a few questions and didn't lose any sleep worrying.  (S/he is back home again and all will be fine.)  One of the changes that Covid created was normalizing the practice of working from home.  My in-law will be able to resume working long before returning to the workplace.  Working from home is popular but I would have difficulty separating work and home projects!  

Honestly April 2020 - July 2020 worked out perfectly (for me).  We were sent home (a week after buying a new home).  Luckily the project I was working on was at the beginning stages and included  a lot of phone calls/emails at the start so working from home was perfect as I didnt need to be in my office.  I did go in a few times to get some prints and things I could not obtain from my work computer.  It also gave me time to get things acclimated at the new house and multitask with the kids having school at home (every other week for me).  I do agree it is hard to separate work/home but one thing i found is I spaced my day out much more and worked later into the evening or started earlier in the morning (calls with different time zones).  

• Like 1

"Underlying health conditions" is a phrase often used when Covid statistics were scrutinized.   Sometimes it serves to reduce the fear generated by Covid mortality rates.  I went to see my Doctor yesterday with a list in hand!   Part of our discussion was about prostate cancer (not confirmed) and the potential impacts.  It is often a slow moving cancer and at a certain age or condition the decision may be not to operate.  The idea is that something else will most likely be your cause of death before this particular cancer  Speak about a glass half full/half empty scenario!   I know this was intended to reduce worry in case biopsy results are not in my favour.  The grim reaper has a backup plan in case the others fail! 

• Like 1

Donstar, BHP isn't always cancer, but, may cause eventual prostate cancer (usually of the slow growing variety). The question really should be "how often do you get up in the middle of the night to urinate?" I had 2/3eds of my prostate removed (non-cancerous) to alleviate a urine retention problem. Now I can sleep a full night without interruption and my health has improved because of proper sleep.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2023 at 4:22 PM, Ianf said:

Donstar, BHP isn't always cancer, but, may cause eventual prostate cancer (usually of the slow growing variety). The question really should be "how often do you get up in the middle of the night to urinate?" I had 2/3eds of my prostate removed (non-cancerous) to alleviate a urine retention problem. Now I can sleep a full night without interruption and my health has improved because of proper sleep.

Thanks for the info.  I am overly cautious because prostate cancer took my father and I believe an older brother had it but this wasn't his primary cause of death.  Like most things, early detection is key.  My symptoms are minimal but PSA and imaging are prompting further testing.

• Like 2

I bought my wife a new laptop for her birthday as her old one is hitting its troublesome teen years.  She liked the gift but was very anxious about potential  changes.  I assured her that I can set it up so that it would be a seamless transition for her and that all of her treasures will be found on the new device.  It took me a couple of days to get it to where she could let go of her aged laptop.  I learned a lot of stuff that probably won't be applicable next time we bring a new computer into our house.  Not once did I need to use one of the many DOS commands permanently etched into my brain!  ;-).  Over the years, I have tried to keep reasonably current with technology.   Changes in home computers  are far less exciting than they were in the 80's and 90's but the good thing is that my wife's new device won't be out of date the day after purchase!

Since retiring 9 years now I use my iPhone for everything online as well as entertainment during driving even GPS . I’m on my couch presently with my iPhone sitting comfortably in my hand while watching TV. Typing this out. My wife uses an iPad. The computer here I don’t touch my wife uses it about once a month. When I bought it about 8 years ago it was the cheapest at Best Buy. It’s amazing what these iPhones can do. I can’t imagine not being able to do multiple things at once. 

We also use our phones.  The larger screen and keyboard of our laptops are enjoyed when we aren't doing other tasks.   It wasn't that long ago when we used laptops for their portability when we weren't near a desktop computer!   Phones were used for phoning and taking low quality pictures!   Two years ago we purchased inexpensive unlocked phones from Costco. I have often thought that we only scratch the surface of the  capabilities of our devices so we took the time to shop for what we will need and use.  I have yet to come across a task that would have required a more expensive phone!   We did get rid of our cumbersome desktop computers years ago so we are evolving, albeit slowly.   The other day we saw a lady talking to her wrist so maybe our cell phones will someday be considered our,  "big screen and keyboard option"!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Donstar said:

We also use our phones.  The larger screen and keyboard of our laptops are enjoyed when we aren't doing other tasks.   It wasn't that long ago when we used laptops for their portability when we weren't near a desktop computer!   Phones were used for phoning and taking low quality pictures!   Two years ago we purchased inexpensive unlocked phones from Costco. I have often thought that we only scratch the surface of the  capabilities of our devices so we took the time to shop for what we will need and use.  I have yet to come across a task that would have required a more expensive phone!   We did get rid of our cumbersome desktop computers years ago so we are evolving, albeit slowly.   The other day we saw a lady talking to her wrist so maybe our cell phones will someday be considered our,  "big screen and keyboard option"!

My last iPhone was so old they stopped supporting in January. I’ve replaced the battery twice in its life. I got a iPhone 13 mini at 700$, yikes! My first iPhone purchase. I still had my business phone. At that kind of money it better do everything. I wear glasses so I have no problem seeing it.

• Like 1

I continue to resist the 'smart phone' although I have one upon Mrs. Bears insistence on knowing my GPS location at all times. :P A phone is for talking. I don't need or what it to take pictures. I have a nice camera for that. Still, I use it. I hate texting, I'd rather talk but people will reply to a text and ignore a call, so I use it for that on a limited basis. 

Still use a desktop. In fact, just bought a new tower. Stupid fast. My tablet has sat unused for years. It became 'unsupported' so I quit supporting them. It was like two years old. Do 99% of web work on the desktop.  I used my last phone for about a decade past the 'unsupported' claim without issues. Got the wife's hand-me-down I5 when she got a newer one. Flip sits in the drawer. 

I still buy stamps and still mail letters and packages via USPS. Use the phone book. Go to a library once in a while. Go to the Social Security office instead of doing it online. Ditto my driver's license and plates. Doctor's visits in person. 

Mrs. Bear it totally digital. She keeps pushing. I keep resisting. I've given in to the server style tower and using Gasbuddy and the weather application and camera when on the road. Still use paper maps otherwise. Dead Reckoning and Landmark navigation most of the time. I may get confused once in a while, but I'm never lost. :crackup:

This digital thing use incessantly is too much information to process. I just go 'Blue Screen". 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Grumpy Bear said:

I continue to resist the 'smart phone' although I have one upon Mrs. Bears insistence on knowing my GPS location at all times. :P A phone is for talking. I don't need or what it to take pictures. I have a nice camera for that. Still, I use it. I hate texting, I'd rather talk but people will reply to a text and ignore a call, so I use it for that on a limited basis. 

Still use a desktop. In fact, just bought a new tower. Stupid fast. My tablet has sat unused for years. It became 'unsupported' so I quit supporting them. It was like two years old. Do 99% of web work on the desktop.  I used my last phone for about a decade past the 'unsupported' claim without issues. Got the wife's hand-me-down I5 when she got a newer one. Flip sits in the drawer. 

I still buy stamps and still mail letters and packages via USPS. Use the phone book. Go to a library once in a while. Go to the Social Security office instead of doing it online. Ditto my driver's license and plates. Doctor's visits in person. 

Mrs. Bear it totally digital. She keeps pushing. I keep resisting. I've given in to the server style tower and using Gasbuddy and the weather application and camera when on the road. Still use paper maps otherwise. Dead Reckoning and Landmark navigation most of the time. I may get confused once in a while, but I'm never lost. :crackup:

This digital thing use incessantly is too much information to process. I just go 'Blue Screen". 

I resisted too. My kids responded more by texting as well as costumers. So I learned. I used dash top GPS for awhile I travel the unknown often. Then my phone had it too. Much easier than in car GPS. It is great for traffic information. Lastly music, information, iHeart radio. No station hopping while driving. Unlimited entertainment on my phone. Pandora, Netflix, direct tv, all on my phone. I can even print to my printer all from the comfort of my couch, connected to the Wi-Fi. I haven’t banged the keyboard on a computer since I left my office 9 years ago. It’s blazing fast. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KARNUT said:

I resisted too. My kids responded more by texting as well as costumers. So I learned. I used dash top GPS for awhile I travel the unknown often. Then my phone had it too. Much easier than in car GPS. It is great for traffic information. Lastly music, information, iHeart radio. No station hopping while driving. Unlimited entertainment on my phone. Pandora, Netflix, direct tv, all on my phone. I can even print to my printer all from the comfort of my couch, connected to the Wi-Fi. I haven’t banged the keyboard on a computer since I left my office 9 years ago. It’s blazing fast. 

Lesson not lost on me. Most of what I use I've been forced to not chosen to. Gasbuddy is an exception. Kids will text but not talk or write. My bank quit 'inside' services and most of the time a teller at the drive window is either swamped or MIA. During COVID they quit, locally, driver's license services. Computer or nothing. One store we use even quit taking cash! That's not even legal. I was forced to give up my film camera. No film. None I like anyway. This is the way electrification is going to work. Get on board because we are taking your fossil fuel motor away. I may get forced but willingly none of this I like. 

Reminds me of the film WALLY. Bunch of out of shape people so tied to their devices they can't even move anymore and freak if the 'world' touches them. 

I still manual machine and weld and work the woods. I like the feel of its rawness. No CNC stuff in my workshop. 

I suppose my grandfather felt like this when they outlawed him riding his horse into town and he finally broke down and bought a tractor. He loved his horses. 

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 4

I ran into an acquaintance yesterday in a lineup at the grocery store.  His daily driver for the past 47 years is a second hand '65 F100.  It is all original and in showroom condition.  He is 76 years old so I asked him about power steering.  "Nah, once I get a little momentum it's fine!"  I often wish I could have a 60's or 70's pickup as I have very fond memories of them.   (PS/PB were frills not found on my earlier trucks.)   However, I would still want a modern truck for daily driving!  The same goes for phones.  I have a functioning retro wall phone on my kitchen wall and until fairly recently kept a set of Encyclopedias for decoration.  I wouldn't want to trade the convenience and portability of all my phone replaces!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Donstar said:

I ran into an acquaintance yesterday in a lineup at the grocery store.  His daily driver for the past 47 years is a second hand '65 F100.  It is all original and in showroom condition.  He is 76 years old so I asked him about power steering.  "Nah, once I get a little momentum it's fine!"  I often wish I could have a 60's or 70's pickup as I have very fond memories of them.   (PS/PB were frills not found on my earlier trucks.)   However, I would still want a modern truck for daily driving!  The same goes for phones.  I have a functioning retro wall phone on my kitchen wall and until fairly recently kept a set of Encyclopedias for decoration.  I wouldn't want to trade the convenience and portability of all my phone replaces!

I had one that got away. About 15 years ago I bought a 65 Chevy step side hugger orange p/u. My garage owner friend put the running gear out of a 92 suburban computer and all that goes with. And after market heat and AC with regular air vents. The big under hood heater unit was gone. It drove modern with the old school look. I would have stayed my forever truck until I found a 64 elcamino. The elcamino was old school original that couldn’t be driven daily. I tired of it quickly regretting selling the 65 truck. I made money selling the elcamino but it wasn’t the same. About 5 vehicles later I found my 92 then my 02. The old step side still remains my favorite old timer.

• Like 2

I suppose with the extra time inside the past few years and getting a little older, it's helped me to appreciate the simple things. I remember playing on the floor with my dad when I was little, and now I get to pass on similar memories with my son.

• Like 1

This morning a grade school memory of learning about venn diagrams popped into my head.   My wife and I  try to schedule our appointments and activities in a way that don't conflict and will allow for the unexpected.  Next week our two circles have overlapped so dramatically it's comical.  It certainly makes me appreciate my parents and grandparents.  I always thought they were engaging in mundane activities yearning  for visitors.  I wish!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1