Covid19 Spare time

Donstar

11 minutes ago, customboss said:

Before we go on and on about truth and social media affectations on science and doctors..... read this.  It ruined our formerly real conservative Republican Party in US and is enabling dictators all over the world to use dis-info to regain control over democracies including ours.  Twitter is going the way of truth social, lies lies lies.......perpetuated as truth.  Confusing good hard working Americans and the world for what?  Profit and CONTROL. 

how-to-stand-up-to-a-dictator.jpg

I figured you’d bing your infinite wisdom to bare. The response was expected. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

I figured you’d bing your infinite wisdom to bare. The response was expected. 

I know facts bother you when they counter your "group think" but hang in there Brother we love you more than your narrow judgement currently allows.....we are pulling for you to wake up! 🥰

7 minutes ago, customboss said:

I know facts bother you when they counter your "group think" but hang in there Brother we love you more than your narrow judgement currently allows.....we are pulling for you to wake up! 🥰

If you knew anything about me and my family we are the exact opposite as you think. If you believe twitter is changing for the worse by being transparent. That explains a lot. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

If you knew anything about me and my family we are the exact opposite as you think. If you believe twitter is changing for the worse by being transparent. That explains a lot. 

I've been too hard on you and respectfully apologize for that. I don't have any preconceived notions of your family, just know what you have shared with me.  Facts don't care what we believe or feel. They just are. Be well and know I do not wish you harm but enlightenment. Do I know everything nope. I do know when I see mis-info dis-info affecting a Brother. 

11 minutes ago, customboss said:

I've been too hard on you and respectfully apologize for that. I don't have any preconceived notions of your family, just know what you have shared with me.  Facts don't care what we believe or feel. They just are. Be well and know I do not wish you harm but enlightenment. Do I know everything nope. I do know when I see mis-info dis-info affecting a Brother. 

As I explained in the past. I don’t get my information from one source. I’m skeptical and open minded. Sunlight is the best disinfectant. The information coming out about censoring at twitter and others is evident. And backed up with internal correspondence. People who bring the information to light at the risk to their livelihood, standing and wealth gets my attention. Whether they run for president, work for the FBI etc. Or buy a social media. Especially if the people who scream the most are the same that push the Russia collusion BS. That should be evident. 

10 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

As I explained in the past. I don’t get my information from one source. I’m skeptical and open minded. Sunlight is the best disinfectant. The information coming out about censoring at twitter and others is evident. And backed up with internal correspondence. People who bring the information to light at the risk to their livelihood, standing and wealth gets my attention. Whether they run for president, work for the FBI etc. Or buy a social media. Especially if the people who scream the most are the same that push the Russia collusion BS. That should be evident. 

I agree with most of that.

My point is that mis-info and dis-info has folks so confused they give up on truth and can't tell the difference from falsehoods and lies from truth. 

Maria Ressa's book describes how it has her facing 100 years in prison and Duerte in Philippines wanted her killed.

She has shown scientifically how big social media is enabling this dis info using facts and proves this major issue today.  How?

Because the falsehoods and lies spread by social media where 93% of Philippinos get their news, enabled former president Duerte to attack her. It is  allowing sincere folks like you  to wrongly believe that overthrowing our US Constitution is a good thing, believing Russian collusion was false, and LEO'S and Paramilitary killing drug addicts willy nilly in her country was a good thing. 

All I am asking is that you to read something outside your comfort zone then come back and disagree instead of dismissing facts outright.  Not trying to convince you of anything but listening to an alternative point of view from yours.  

6 minutes ago, customboss said:

I agree with most of that.

My point is that mis-info and dis-info has folks so confused they give up on truth and can't tell the difference from falsehoods and lies from truth. 

Maria Ressa's book describes how it has her facing 100 years in prison and Duerte in Philippines wanted her killed.

She has shown scientifically how big social media is enabling this dis info using facts and proves this major issue today.  How?

Because the falsehoods and lies spread by social media where 93% of Philippinos get their news, enabled former president Duerte to attack her. It is  allowing sincere folks like you  to wrongly believe that overthrowing our US Constitution is a good thing, believing Russian collusion was false, and LEO'S and Paramilitary killing drug addicts willy nilly in her country was a good thing. 

All I am asking is that you to read something outside your comfort zone then come back and disagree instead of dismissing facts outright.  Not trying to convince you of anything but listening to an alternative point of view from yours.  

Living in NJ and owning a business was outside our comfort zone. Getting fed up and starting over in Texas was outside our comfort zone. Trying to own a business even in Texas is anything but comfortable. Adding 85K more IRS agents should be outside anyone’s comfort zone. Trying to plan for the future for anyone in this political environment should be outside anyone’s comfort zone. If I’m anything I’m well read. If you’re in business you have to be.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2022 at 8:59 AM, KARNUT said:

More and more doctors who were blocked on twitter are now being heard.

Online research for medical advice is a resource that is relatively new in yours and my lifetime.  My comfort with vaccines and protective devices such as masks predates the internet.  It is often entertaining, yet frustrating, how we find conflicting information by similar professionals on a given topic.   A few weeks ago when I was having problems with my vision, my wife and I spent  time online trying to determine if I needed emergency treatment.  Our research determined that my issue is common and inconsequential... or... I'll lose my sight without immediate attention.   I treated it like the latter but the issue was the former.  

• Like 2

"Downsizing" is another way of saying you're old.   Sorting your belongings by your predicted lifespan and/or diminishing abilities can be most depressing!  However, I usually manage to snap out of it by remembering  how lucky I am to get old!   One activity that has kept me motivated since my teens is shopping for my next vehicle!  This pastime is now on the negotiating table.  For close to 50 years my wife and I have strived to keep personal vehicles.  She likes small sedans and I like full-sized pickups. She now "wants" our next vehicle purchase to be a cuv/suv to share.   This will save money and prepare for when/if I can't always be the primary driver.  The practicality of her plan is undeniable and my protests sound silly.  The new Ford Maverick appears to be a potential compromise and seems to get some lukewarm attention from my loving wife!   I am curious if any members have first hand experience with a Maverick pickup.   I suspect  GM and others will soon offer competing mini crewcab pickups so I'm more interested in the idea of downsizing my pickup than the manufacturer.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Donstar said:

"Downsizing" is another way of saying you're old.   Sorting your belongings by your predicted lifespan and/or diminishing abilities can be most depressing!  However, I usually manage to snap out of it by remembering  how lucky I am to get old!   One activity that has kept me motivated since my teens is shopping for my next vehicle!  This pastime is now on the negotiating table.  For close to 50 years my wife and I have strived to keep personal vehicles.  She likes small sedans and I like full-sized pickups. She now "wants" our next vehicle purchase to be a cuv/suv to share.   This will save money and prepare for when/if I can't always be the primary driver.  The practicality of her plan is undeniable and my protests sound silly.  The new Ford Maverick appears to be a potential compromise and seems to get some lukewarm attention from my loving wife!   I am curious if any members have first hand experience with a Maverick pickup.   I suspect  GM and others will soon offer competing mini crewcab pickups so I'm more interested in the idea of downsizing my pickup than the manufacturer.  

I feel ya, we have owned one vehicle for economic reasons since I was forced to retire. Its not that bad and I keep a pals old PowerStroke during winter so we have a backup in really bad weather. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Donstar said:

I’ve seen Mavericks around. A local GMC dealer has a maverick and ranger sitting side by side. The maverick is lower being based on their small suv. A hard loaded one can be had for around 30K. Me wife has a hard time getting into anything higher than our CRV. So it definitely is on my radar. As is the Santa cruise. I did read GM is preparing to complete as is ram. Although getting rid of my remaining V-8 truck would be tough. 

• Like 1

The Santa Cruz is nice but is far more car than truck.  The Maverick may run on a car-like platform but the body is unmistakably a pickup truck.  I wonder how many of us who got excited in 64/65 with the introduction of the Mustang believe we are witnessing a similar automotive phenomena?   Ford can't keep up with the current demand of Mavericks.  Once they are offered in a long range EV, we'll see huge waitlists.   It is exciting to watch what the competition produces.  The 66 Camaro was a decent response to the Mustang!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Donstar said:

The Santa Cruz is nice but is far more car than truck.  The Maverick may run on a car-like platform but the body is unmistakably a pickup truck.  I wonder how many of us who got excited in 64/65 with the introduction of the Mustang believe we are witnessing a similar automotive phenomena?   Ford can't keep up with the current demand of Mavericks.  Once they are offered in a long range EV, we'll see huge waitlists.   It is exciting to watch what the competition produces.  The 66 Camaro was a decent response to the Mustang!

Can anything FWD and a 4.5-foot bed be called a truck? 😏

The available AWD is only available on the 2.0 Ecoboost. At least the base motor is MPFI. 

2 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Can anything FWD and a 4.5-foot bed be called a truck? 😏

My answer is an emphatic NO, but I'm an old fuddy-duddy that was raised on a farm where at a minimum a vehicle needed to be a 1 ton with duals to be considered a real truck, anything less was merely a p/u. In fact at the time my home state defined a truck as having a minimum of a 10,000 lb. gross rating. But the vernacular changes with the times and I don't wince quite as bad any more at what qualifies as a truck, but I do hold the line at unibodies being called "trucks", they just don't have the load or towing capabilities to qualify in my mind. Am I being a hardass?  Maybe, but just ask some of the OTR guys what they think.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Donstar said:

I read today about the redesign 2023 Prius. It looks decent and is a mild performer, about time. I’ve own a few Hyundais, they’ve been good to me. The maverick is the more truck looking and the better deal for truck people. A home run.