1500 6.2 with 3.42 Max Tow Package hard to find!

The search function on chevrolet.com and gmc.com is pretty worthless.  It doesnt seem to be up to date.  Why are their so few 1500 with a 6.2 and 3.42 rear end with Max Towing Package available?  I would think most that use it to two would want that package.  Im finding like 1 per state.  Especially in High Country Trim.

When I was looking at GMC's, Max Tow wasn't available on Denali and AT4 trims.  Don't recall if it was available on the SLE's or not.  On the Chevy's, Max Tow received a single speed T-case and Z71 was not an option.  Seems most of the popular trims/option didn't allow for Max Tow.  

I would be willing to go down to LTZ, but i hate the big crome bumper on it.  I wish LTZ still had a painted bumper like before....but i guess they wouldnt need the High Country then.

Im in Kansas City area, on MO side, but willing to go 300 miles for one if the price is right.  Im like alot of people on here, im trying to decide if Aprils deals will be better than Marchs.  The dealers dont seem all the hungry enough to move metal yet in my area. 

4 minutes ago, bshort said:

When I was looking at GMC's, Max Tow wasn't available on Denali and AT4 trims.  Don't recall if it was available on the SLE's or not.  On the Chevy's, Max Tow received a single speed T-case and Z71 was not an option.  Seems most of the popular trims/option didn't allow for Max Tow.  

That's because they are DIFFERENT suspension systems.  Denali is luxury ride, AT4/Z71 are off-road and Max Towing if for HD trailering.  They don't use the same suspension components. 

2 minutes ago, elcamino said:

That's because they are DIFFERENT suspension systems.  Denali is luxury ride, AT4/Z71 are off-road and Max Towing if for HD trailering.  They don't use the same suspension components. 

You mean AT4/Trail Boss?  Z71 is just a trim package.  

Doesn’t matter, the 6.2 automatically comes with the two speed transfer case, dual exhaust, etc. Z71 is totally inconsequential unless you like crappy shocks and hill decent control.

NHT trucks are really hard to find, especially in High Country. Most High Countries have the Premium or Deluxe package which includes 22” wheels and thus no NHT package. You can order around that package to get NHT as well as all of the goodies (besides the 22s) but it costs more and adds complexity so dealers don’t generally stock it.

To me the LTZ made sense because I like chrome. Plus it was cheaper and better equipped than the High Countries the dealer had, so whatever.

The max tow in reality offers very little over the regular 6.2 towing abilities. Why not just go with a 6.2/323 standard towing pkg truck? If you really need 12k lb towing capability you might want to consider a 3/4 ton. Just my opinion. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bshort said:

You mean AT4/Trail Boss?  Z71 is just a trim package.  

Order guide shows Z71 includes:

Z71 Off-Road Package, includes (Z71) Off-Road suspension, (JHD) Hill Descent Control, (NZZ) skid plates and (K47) high-capacity air filter

Max Tow not available on Work Truck or Custom Trail Boss

NHT         Max Trailering Package, includes 9.76" rear axle, enhanced cooling radiator, revised shock tuning for increased control, heavier duty rear springs, increased RGAWR and (KW5) 220-amp alternator
On silverado Custom - Required and only available with (BD1) Custom Max Trailering Package.
On LT - Requires (L84) 5.3L EcoTec3 V8 engine, (Z82) Trailering Package, (G80) locking differential and 18" or 20" wheels and tires. Includes (GU6) 3.42 axle ratio and (JL1) trailer brake controller. Not available with (Z71) Z71 Off-Road Package.
On RST - Requires (L84) 5.3L EcoTec3 V8 engine or (L87) 6.2L EcoTec3 V8 engine, (Z82) Trailering Package, (G80) locking differential and 18" or 20" wheels and tires. Double Cab models with (L87) 6.2L EcoTec3 V8 engine require 20" wheels and tires. Includes (GU6) 3.42 axle ratio and (JL1) trailer brake controller. Not available with (Z71) Z71 Off-Road Package.
On LTZ - Requires (L84) 5.3L EcoTec3 V8 engine or (L87) 6.2L EcoTec3 V8 engine and 18" or 20" wheels and tires. Includes (GU6) 3.42 axle ratio. Not available with (Z71) Z71 Off-Road Package.
On High Country - Requires 4WD model and (L87) 6.2L EcoTec3 V8 engine. Includes (GU6) 3.42 axle ratio. Not available with (Z71) Z71 Off-Road Package or 22" wheels.

So,  for @BigDog88  - on High Country, all NHT's will also have the 6.2 and 3.42, but cannot have Z71 or 22's. 

Edited by redwngr

2 hours ago, redwngr said:

Max Tow not available on Work Truck or Custom Trail Boss

NHT         Max Trailering Package, includes 9.76" rear axle, enhanced cooling radiator, revised shock tuning for increased control, heavier duty rear springs, increased RGAWR and (KW5) 220-amp alternator
On silverado Custom - Required and only available with (BD1) Custom Max Trailering Package.
On LT - Requires (L84) 5.3L EcoTec3 V8 engine, (Z82) Trailering Package, (G80) locking differential and 18" or 20" wheels and tires. Includes (GU6) 3.42 axle ratio and (JL1) trailer brake controller. Not available with (Z71) Z71 Off-Road Package.
On RST - Requires (L84) 5.3L EcoTec3 V8 engine or (L87) 6.2L EcoTec3 V8 engine, (Z82) Trailering Package, (G80) locking differential and 18" or 20" wheels and tires. Double Cab models with (L87) 6.2L EcoTec3 V8 engine require 20" wheels and tires. Includes (GU6) 3.42 axle ratio and (JL1) trailer brake controller. Not available with (Z71) Z71 Off-Road Package.
On LTZ - Requires (L84) 5.3L EcoTec3 V8 engine or (L87) 6.2L EcoTec3 V8 engine and 18" or 20" wheels and tires. Includes (GU6) 3.42 axle ratio. Not available with (Z71) Z71 Off-Road Package.
On High Country - Requires 4WD model and (L87) 6.2L EcoTec3 V8 engine. Includes (GU6) 3.42 axle ratio. Not available with (Z71) Z71 Off-Road Package or 22" wheels.

So,  for @BigDog88  - on High Country, all NHT's will also have the 6.2 and 3.42, but cannot have Z71 or 22's. 

Thank you for posting all those options. Im good with not having the 22s  I have a 7000lb travel trailer we pull 6 months out of the year on the weekends.  I currently use a 2015 5.3 with a 3.42 Trailer package and it does pretty good, but would like to step up to a 6.2 but want the max towing ability to just have best trailer towing out of a 1500.  I dont want a 3/4 ton because i use my truck for business travel out of state and want better MPG.  Also like the 6.2 because its quick.  For some reason I dont care for the chrome grill on the LTZ.  Maybe the RST with 6.2 with NHT is an option with less options on the interior.  

Thanks for yalls input.  I may have to settle for a LTZ because they seem the most available with NHT.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigDog88 said:

Thank you for posting all those options. Im good with not having the 22s  I have a 7000lb travel trailer we pull 6 months out of the year on the weekends.  I currently use a 2015 5.3 with a 3.42 Trailer package and it does pretty good, but would like to step up to a 6.2 but want the max towing ability to just have best trailer towing out of a 1500.  I dont want a 3/4 ton because i use my truck for business travel out of state and want better MPG.  Also like the 6.2 because its quick.  For some reason I dont care for the chrome grill on the LTZ.  Maybe the RST with 6.2 with NHT is an option with less options on the interior.  

Thanks for yalls input.  I may have to settle for a LTZ because they seem the most available with NHT.

It was similar on the GM side when I was looking. Far more SLTs with NHT than Elevations.

9 hours ago, smrr1 said:

The max tow in reality offers very little over the regular 6.2 towing abilities. Why not just go with a 6.2/323 standard towing pkg truck? If you really need 12k lb towing capability you might want to consider a 3/4 ton. Just my opinion. 

I would disagree with you on that.  GCWR is 17,800 vs 15,000 lbs.  GVWR is 7300 lbs vs 7100 lbs.  Max tongue weight is 1200, you get enhanced cooling, 220 amp alternator and larger rear axle with higher weight rating on the rear axle.  My 2016 with the 5.3 and 6 speed struggled going up hills and tranny temp would go over 200° in a hurry.  And my trailer only weighs about 5000 to 5500 lbs.  My 2019 with the 6.2 and 10 speed pulls the hills much more easily and tranny temp is normally in the 140s.  In 2019 Max Trailering was not available in HC/Denali trim.  LTZ/SLT can be had with it.

As for availability, I agree that there aren't very many Max Trailering equipped 1500s out there.  I bought the only one available in Alaska at the time.  I've already done a lot of towing with it and I wouldn't ever want to go back to a 1500 that doesn't have the Max Trailering package.  It's my daily driver, I don't have a trailer that requires an HD and I don't want an HD.  Don't settle for anything less or you'll just be unhappy with it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, AlaskaErik said:

I would disagree with you on that.  GCWR is 17,800 vs 15,000 lbs.  GVWR is 7300 lbs vs 7100 lbs.  Max tongue weight is 1200, you get enhanced cooling, 220 amp alternator and larger rear axle with higher weight rating on the rear axle.  My 2016 with the 5.3 and 6 speed struggled going up hills and tranny temp would go over 200° in a hurry.  And my trailer only weighs about 5000 to 5500 lbs.  My 2019 with the 6.2 and 10 speed pulls the hills much more easily and tranny temp is normally in the 140s.  In 2019 Max Trailering was not available in HC/Denali trim.  LTZ/SLT can be had with it.

As for availability, I agree that there aren't very many Max Trailering equipped 1500s out there.  I bought the only one available in Alaska at the time.  I've already done a lot of towing with it and I wouldn't ever want to go back to a 1500 that doesn't have the Max Trailering package.  It's my daily driver, I don't have a trailer that requires an HD and I don't want an HD.  Don't settle for anything less or you'll just be unhappy with it.

Thank you for your feedback on your experience.  I tend to drive my trucks for 10 years before trading for a new one so i definitely want to make sure i get one im happy with.....I may have to order one if i cant find the one i want.  Ive read a few posts/threads from the past 2-3 years on here about those that pull 6000lb + with just a standard 6.2 3.23 axle.  Im curious about their experiences too.  I know it has the power but do they squat alot?

Thank you for your feedback on your experience.  I tend to drive my trucks for 10 years before trading for a new one so i definitely want to make sure i get one im happy with.....I may have to order one if i cant find the one i want.  Ive read a few posts/threads from the past 2-3 years on here about those that pull 6000lb + with just a standard 6.2 3.23 axle.  Im curious about their experiences too.  I know it has the power but do they squat alot?

Understand you view as I just came out of an 05 2500HD

Truck came in 2 weeks ago and I had to order to get what I wanted for the next 5- 10yrs

1500 LTZ 6.2, crew cab,standard bed, max tow package with tow mirrors.

My dealer called it a unicorn order.

Only dealer that had anything  even close was over 500 miles out.

If I wanted a GG or CC  truck I could have had my pick of hundreds on  various lots.

It probably can do 6000lbs with the 3.23 but I would do the Max tow package at 6 or better.

My boat & trailer is at 5200lbs

Over 6000lbs will have some squat being a 1/2 ton platform, how much I do not know.

Might want to look at a 2500 if you tow  a lot of miles at 6 grand and above  weights for longevity.

Unless you need it now, order and  get what you want and be happy.

Good Luck

My 2 cents