Let's install the "upfitter switches"

On 6/4/2023 at 12:12 PM, leolkfrm said:

switches control the relay bank, load is connected to lead off the bank, fuse location on the bank control what is live all the time and what is live with ign on,  relay bank is mounted under the steering wheel in the dash

I seen the relay bank under the dash for each switch, so there is no reason to wire in a relay for a lightbar? Just use the wire lead for whichever switch i want?

The gauge of wire isn’t that big, which had me believe that I would need to wire in a relay before my light. Confusing as it seems redundant to have two relays if the under dash ones wont carry the load. 

• 3 weeks later...

Folks with the upfitter switches, I have installed them twice now.  The first time I just connected all of my wires under the dash but this time I made a harness using 12AWG, connected to the 5 wires for the switches and ran this harness back into the engine bay.  Basically did not like the first time around routing all of the wire etc. from the cab, just wanted a nice play to do it similar to like what the Fords have done with their upfitter switches.

I have a water tight box, a distribution block, and plenty of wire to place pretty much anywhere under the hood.

Has anyone else done anything like this and are there any suggestions of good place to mount something like I have described .  My first install was with my 2019 1500 the second is with my 2021 2500HD with the dual battery with tray, minus the battery- 🙂 .

I am thinking maybe somewhere over in that part of the hood, but really seeking other's ideas.

I am assuming many who have installed the upfitters wished like me my first time around that I could have had a way to do something under the hood versus the dash, everytime I wanted to add something.

Edited by HiyoSilverardo_Away

Going to add a little more to this topic for future folks that are looking for information.

Being that this is the second time I have done this, I learned one big thing, label the wires and maybe even go as far as label, provide notes.  While the fuse cover has some of this information, it is not necessarily the easiest, so I used my label marker and made labels with the information in the picture attached.

The elusive Switch 5 wire, there are several youtube videos out there that will tell you about this wire.  Unless you need the beacon, cutting the wire does nothing bad, just tape off the side of the harness plug or detach the pin in the plug and pull it out .  One note, it does not require the ignition switch to be turned on.

I also found that it looks like the wire is 12 or 14AWG.  The first time around I ran 16AWG the items I wanted to power,  I won't do that again.

Hopefully this bit of information is helpful to someone down the road. 

image.thumb.png.197a56952615a9e1d08c52f6664c5e96.png

Edited by HiyoSilverardo_Away
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Does anyone have a parts list for adding the auxiliary switches to a 2024 RST?  I've found the kit (link below), but I would really like to have a breakdown of the required parts.

Thanks

Kit link

https://404parts.com/collections/upfitter-packages-replacement-parts/products/2022-2024-silverado-sierra-refreshed-upfitter-auxiliary-switches-package?variant=45201978654890

kit.jpg

• 4 months later...
On 2/26/2024 at 7:06 AM, KAL-FW said:

Does anyone have a parts list for adding the auxiliary switches to a 2024 RST?  I've found the kit (link below), but I would really like to have a breakdown of the required parts.

Thanks

Kit link

https://404parts.com/collections/upfitter-packages-replacement-parts/products/2022-2024-silverado-sierra-refreshed-upfitter-auxiliary-switches-package?variant=45201978654890

kit.jpg

You can try this link for your year and model.  Not sure if it is the correct one, but it seems to match your picture above.

https://www.gmupfitter.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/08/UI-Bulletin-193-wip-1.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't found the voltage/amperage that the switches can support.  I would like to hardwire a GMRS radio to one of the switches instead of running the wire through the firewall and wire it to the battery or fuse box.  The radio has an inline fuse but I don't know if it's too much for a switch.  The current power is a 12 V power cord with cigarette lighter adapter.  Please advise if possible.

The switch supplies a ground for the relays. Depending on which switch relay, they are fused at 20amp and 30 amp.

Switch 2&3 are fused at 20 amp, 1,4 and 5 are fused at 30 amp.

You can replace the fuse with a smaller amp rating if wanted.

Edited by gemarsh
Spelling