does center console open or no ?

hey guys, new here and new to gm trucks. I just got a 2020 chev silverado 2500HD 4x4 WT reg cab 8 ft box truck for a company truck. Does the center console not open? or is it just there to hold my cups, seems ridiculous that it wouldn't open, or is that some sort of option? I've tried to open it approaching to point i feel i am going to break something, is there a secret button somewhere to open it,  i found the pull cord that flips the console up to make it a 3 seater 40/20/40, but no button to open.

let me know and apologies in advance for the noob question ! my Ford (personal truck) has the same set up, but you click the center button and voila ! storage space....

3 hours ago, migrabill said:

Wow. It opens on my GMC Sierra Denali. I can't imagine that thing not opening...

All Denalis have bucket seats and a full center console.  The Chevy Work Truck trim uses the 40/20/40 bench, and the center seat does not have console storage when down as a center armrest - that requires LT/LTZ for Chevy, SLE/SLT for GMC with the 40/20/40.

yeah its kinda sucks, seems like it would cost more money to make 2 consoles instead of 1.....but there is a million topics on this with TB....LT or up for it to open.....no way I could have a truck without a storage compartment...reason I am looking at LT currently in 2500 series

Just as weird that the center console doesn't open on certain trim levels, I saw a youtube video of a similar 2020 2500HD LT trim level crew cab where the cloth back seat didn't have the center arm rest and cup holders, nor the little cubby spaces in the 2 outside seat backs. I thought those were standard?

Seats for 2020 HD's

Not sure if all this helps, but of course, what is standard, depends on trim and some trims can have optional seats added.

A52    Seats, front 40/20/40 split-bench (no storage)

-std on WT and custom

AE7    Seats, front 40/20/40 split-bench with upper covered armrest storage

- std on LT,   not available with PCL convenience pkg,    upgradable to AZ3, 

AZ3    Seats, front 40/20/40 split-bench with covered armrest storage and under-seat storage (lockable)
On LT - On Crew Cab and Double Cab models, included and only available with (PCL) Convenience Package. Standard on Regular Cab models.
On LTZ - Not available with (PCZ) LTZ Convenience Package, (PDF) LTZ Plus Package, (PDK) LTZ Premium Package or (PDL) LTZ Texas Edition.

AZ3    Seats, front 40/20/40 split-bench with covered armrest storage and under-seat storage (lockable)
LT (available) - On Crew Cab and Double Cab models, included and only available with (PCL) Convenience Package. Standard on Regular Cab models.
LTZ (std) - Not available with (PCZ) LTZ Convenience Package, (PDF) LTZ Plus Package, (PDK) LTZ Premium Package or (PDL) LTZ Texas Edition. 

Available LT, LTZ, std on HC

A50         Seats, front bucket with center console, for Crew Cab and Double Cab models
On LT - Requires (PCL) Convenience Package. Cloth bucket seats ordered with (PCM) Convenience II include additional (MCR) USB ports with auxiliary jack. Leather seats require (PCM) Convenience Package II and (CXH) Leather Package, and include (MCR) USB ports with auxiliary jack.
On LTZ - Included and only available with (PCZ) LTZ Convenience Package, (PDF) LTZ Plus Package, (PDK) LTZ Premium Package or (PDL) LTZ Texas Edition. 

On HC - std

• 5 months later...

i want the full floor console.....just not enough room on bench seat armrest even with both storage areas....gets too cluttered

anyone know of a good place that sells them from wrecks or they just part out whole truck?....

My lt has both the console storage and the lockable under seat storage.  My truck does the convenience package 2, however the storage was listed as part of the allstar edition package.  Guessing lt models without the allstar or texas editions do not include the storage package unless it is ordered with some other package. 

When I picked up my LT, I tried to open the console and it wouldn't open. I didn't want to force it and break something. I asked the salesperson and she said it's not supposed to open. I looked at it carefully and it seemed pretty obvious it SHOULD open. She was sure it wasn't supposed to open but, to humor me, she had a tech come over from the service department to look at it. He climbed in and, after putting a lot more force on it that I was willing to do, he got it open and it has worked perfectly ever since.

OP, I would watch eBay and try to find an LT or above console that opens. I can't imagine not being able to utilize that space in your center console,.

On 9/15/2020 at 10:40 AM, Njmurvin said:

When I picked up my LT, I tried to open the console and it wouldn't open. I didn't want to force it and break something. I asked the salesperson and she said it's not supposed to open. I looked at it carefully and it seemed pretty obvious it SHOULD open. She was sure it wasn't supposed to open but, to humor me, she had a tech come over from the service department to look at it. He climbed in and, after putting a lot more force on it that I was willing to do, he got it open and it has worked perfectly ever since.

OP, I would watch eBay and try to find an LT or above console that opens. I can't imagine not being able to utilize that space in your center console,.

i had same issue....since mine was delivered to my house i didnt find out til next morning...i was gonna take it in to service but after a week i knew how the latch worked cuz i just had a 19 RST......i used a small diameter rod and fed it through pushed lid down and pulled with rod and it opened....and same as you has worked ever since.....was so stoked as i hate going to dealer for anything....even to buy the damn truck!

however in my 19 RST i had both storage compartments and only had conv 1 in that truck.....my 2500 has conv 2 and its identical to my RST

Edited by Dunn