Keep accessory power on indefinitely w push button start?

When camping, I would like to keep my accessory power on to keep the wireless hotspot running.  If I had a key this would be a non issue. However the push button start turns off power after about 20 minutes.  Anyone know of a way to make it run longer?  

I plan to keep it plugged into the AC powered trailer.  The trailers DC converter which should keep the battery charged.  

16 hours ago, Ezekiel2517 said:

When camping, I would like to keep my accessory power on to keep the wireless hotspot running.  If I had a key this would be a non issue. However the push button start turns off power after about 20 minutes.  Anyone know of a way to make it run longer?  

I plan to keep it plugged into the AC powered trailer.  The trailers DC converter which should keep the battery charged.  

if you hold the start button about 10 seconds it will turn everything on like turning a key on without starting the engine. Not sure how long it will remain on though, worth a try. Of course you'll need to leave FOB in the vehicle.

Edited by vulcan_classic

The accessory power keeps the truck electrical turned on.  Usually this would drain the battery.  The RV system has a dc converter that keeps the 12v system charged.  Its wierd but even AC systems are run by DC controls.  It will backfeed the connected vehicle.   I ran the wifi for about 3 hours like this and had no issues.  I'll try longer next time. 

Edited by Ezekiel2517

Yup, if your trailer has a battery maintainer that keeps stable voltage on the same circuits that truck feeds with trailer pin E, then your trailer will keep your truck battery maintained.just be sure you don't have an isolation switch on the trailer that doesn't allow it to power that circuit to the truck. 

How would I determine if it has an isolation switch?  I ran if for about 4 hours with no issues this way, but Im not sure if 4 hours would have drained the battery in the truck anyway.

This will be great if we get to go to Garner State Park this year.  ATT is the only service that works out there.  We have verizon an T-mobile so this will allow us to connect to an ATT hotspot

On 3/14/2020 at 2:26 PM, vulcan_classic said:

if you hold the start button about 10 seconds it will turn everything on like turning a key on without starting the engine. Not sure how long it will remain on though, worth a try. Of course you'll need to leave FOB in the vehicle.

how dare you call my girlfriend a FOB, and why does she need to stay in the vehicle ??

• Haha 1

From GM Upfitters. Hope this helps.

Description and Operation Power Outlets Description and Operation 12 Volt Power Outlet Receptacle Description and Operation

The vehicle is fitted with a 12 Vaccessory power receptacle. The accessory power receptacles are controlled by an ignition operated relay. The accessory power receptacles are operational when the ignition is turned to either the On or the Accessories positions. The X80J and X80K accessory power receptacles may be configured to be operational when the ignition is Off by changing the position of the 50A fuse from the F10DL position to the F11DL position in the passenger side panel fuse block. 

I just changed my cigarette lighter plug from always hot, to accessory hot in my 20 sierra by moving the fuse.

On 4/1/2020 at 11:02 AM, Jav_eee said:

Don’t people go camping to “get away” from things like Wi-Fi and other technology?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes, but sometimes when you cant get completely away from work you need ability to check in and function.  Otherwise you have to cut your trip short and leave.   Thats what modern society demands.

• 7 months later...

Press and hold the start button for more than 5 seconds and it will go into diagnostics mode,  You can get out and lock the doors and it won't shut off - I tested for 25 minutes.  Someone said a 6 Amp maintainer did not stop the battery from dying if left on a long time.  Another said a 15 amp charger kept it up.  Anyone know how many amps the truck pulls in Diagnostic mode?  I'd like to use a minimum amp charger.   Will a charger cause any other problems with the key on?  BE SURE TO TURN THE LIGHTS OFF from auto.  Press start again to shut it off.

Edited by Dave's Place

• 4 months later...
On 3/14/2020 at 12:26 PM, vulcan_classic said:

I don’t leave a fob in the vehicle. Expect the batteries to run dead flat over night. Even with NOCO battery “maintainers” they let the batteries drop below 12.3 volts. Over time batteries will need replacing prematurely. 
Im still looking for a suitable maintainer in excess of 10 amps. Any advice welcome