Coronavirus

KARNUT

OK 

Is this the problem with the  government, politicians, docs, public? 

spacer.png

As far as the protesters.

spacer.png

What I see is a lot of people flapping their tongues and solving nothing.

spacer.png

spacer.png

:)

Edited by diyer2

53 minutes ago, Ithan Henry said:

This will be my 16th year teaching. And for the past 15 years, I caught some sort of cold within the first month of being in school. It happens because kids don't cover their mouths when they sneeze. They barely wash their hands, I call it "splash and dash" cause they're lucky if their hands even get wet. I anticipate catching Covid-19 when I return to work.

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/07/18/texas-babies-coronavirus-nueces-county/

This will be challenged on this thread, but doesn't matter at this point, just info.  85 infants in a Texas county as reported by the Texas Tribune tested positive for covid.  One under 6 months died.  If the report is true, kids may be the next shoe to drop in the country.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ithan Henry said:

This will be my 16th year teaching. And for the past 15 years, I caught some sort of cold within the first month of being in school. It happens because kids don't cover their mouths when they sneeze. They barely wash their hands, I call it "splash and dash" cause they're lucky if their hands even get wet. I anticipate catching Covid-19 when I return to work.

There are districts offering seminars on estate planning and how to create a will. BTW, this is in Texas. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.texasmonthly.com/news/hisd-offered-to-help-employees-create-wills-teachers-not-happy/amp/

As for masks it's very simple. If they didn't work to prevent the spread of diseases or germs, then why do doctors and nurses wear them during surgical procedures? Hell, when my wife is receiving her CF treatments the nurses wear masks to prevent transmitting any germs to her. It doesn't need to be proven specifically for Covid-19 because it's already been medically proven and is standard practice for other viruses and germs. 

Doctors and nurses wear medical grade masks, change them out regularly, don’t wear them when they don’t need to, and are trained to wear them correctly. Contrast this to a guy working a 10 hour shift at McDonald’s, sweating through a cloth mask that may as well be made of old T-shirt scraps, constantly adjusting it and in the process touching his face before and after touching your food.

In a lab environment, sure a mask works. In reality? Not likely. Look at the MERS studies, masks did nothing for the general population. Didn’t do anything for China either in this go-round. But enough talking reality, half of this thread isn’t living in it.

Teachers are public servants just like doctors, nurses, police officers and so on. Why should they be isolated from any and all risk while continuing to collect a paycheck? All other essential, and most non-essential workers haven’t been off since March.

I think think the real idea being leaving schools closed is: keep the economy in the toilet, keep the teacher unions happy, and make a good case for mail-in fraud voting in November...if it ain’t safe to go to school, it ain’t safe to go vote. Time to steal another election.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, The Zip said:

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/07/18/texas-babies-coronavirus-nueces-county/

This will be challenged on this thread, but doesn't matter at this point, just info.  85 infants in a Texas county as reported by the Texas Tribune tested positive for covid.  One under 6 months died.  If the report is true, kids may be the next shoe to drop in the country.

Of course it’s going to be challenged. Obvious question...are babies going to school now? Why would this matter for kids 5 & up? I would think just about everyone here has seen and heard enough from the medical community saying it’s safe, and necessary for school aged kids to go to school.

15 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

Teachers are public servants just like doctors, nurses, police officers and so on. Why should they be isolated from any and all risk while continuing to collect a paycheck? All other essential, and most non-essential workers haven’t been off since March.

I'll have you know I worked harder during online instruction than I ever have. My hours were 7am till whenever my last student was available to meet for help. So I didn't just "collect a paycheck" as you so ignorantly put it. And last time I checked, putting oneself in harms risk was not part of the job description for a teacher. But hey, feel free to pass the blame onto us. 

Edited by Ithan Henry
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

Obvious question...are babies going to school now? Why would this matter for kids 5 & up? I would think just about everyone here has seen and heard enough from the medical community saying it’s safe, and necessary for school aged kids to go to school.

This is a dumb*** response for a smart guy.  You make the point why I posted it.  Kids are now suspected of getting the virus, whoop de doo that they're not in school.

3 minutes ago, Ithan Henry said:

I'll have you know I worked harder during online instruction than I ever have. My hours were 7am till whenever my last student was available to meet for help. So I didn't just "collect a paycheck" as you so ignorantly put it. And last time I checked, putting oneself in harms risk was not part of the job description for a teacher. But hey, feel free to pass the blame onto us. 

Most of us that have been working through this didn’t have being put in harms way in our job description. It’s the reality of the situation that there’s a (small) risk anyone employed will get it and most people have no choice in the matter if they want to get paid. Teachers have been the only profession that we refuse to allow to be exposed to any risk and I’m simply questioning why. If distance learning actually worked and was healthy for kids, it would be one thing, but it doesn’t. 

1 minute ago, The Zip said:

This is a dumb*** response for a smart guy.  You make the point why I posted it.  Kids are now suspected of getting the virus, whoop de doo that they're not in school.

I don’t recall any study ever saying that kids flat out don’t get it. It is shown that they get it but it rarely affects them at all. And being asymptomatic leads to almost no risk of them passing it to adults. More often it goes the other way around. Hence me not getting the point of an article about babies.

Again, we don’t have to pretend or guesstimate about what will happen in schools. We have plenty of data from more sane countries where they either never stopped in person teaching or resumed it shortly after the outbreak.

2 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Anyone else notice the only people debating mask effectiveness are those opposed to wearing one?

:crackup:

I expect all those opposed to demand their next surgery be preformed by doctors mask free.

This is a case of common sense not commonly used.

Maybe Trump should introduce a country-wide mandate for masks so the media and health officials can suddenly be opposed to their use again. It works for everything else he does. ?

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

Teachers have been the only profession that we refuse to allow to be exposed to any risk and I’m simply questioning why.

Again, we don’t have to pretend or guesstimate about what will happen in schools. We have plenty of data from more sane countries where they either never stopped in person teaching or resumed it shortly after the outbreak.

It was never about the teachers. If there's a threat the first ones you protect are the children and elderly. We had no idea how the virus spread so we protected the children. The majority of teachers aren't opposed to going back. We just want the same protections you'd get if you walked into a Walmart, masks and social distancing. 

As for the other countries, they got it under control. Which is why there's a travel restriction for Americans into Europe. You can't expect the US to be able to do the same thing as these other countries when we're not willing to take the same precautions that got them there. 

• Like 1