Coronavirus

KARNUT

2 hours ago, swathdiver said:

Well, zinc is an over the counter item and that is what kills this thing.  The FDA allows those doctors to use HCQ on this if they actually read the orders and quit watching CNN.  They have HCQ in their pharmacies as they give the stuff out like candy to them before they travel overseas to prevent malaria.  Remind him that he can get treated by a civilian doctor If he can get off base or do a televisit with a doctor stateside if he's aboard ship.

Everyone knows zinc is over the counter, your comment was in combination.  I'll take your word military has HCQ in their pharmacies, don't know.  For military members, my point was a military or civilian doctor is not going to prescribe HCQ for malaria to be used for covid, so no purpose in getting zinc and not use in combination as you suggest.    

Twenty three yrs active duty with over fifty times travel and living overseas, I have never been prescribed or taken HCQ.  As far as that goes, I never saw medications listed on anyone's orders.  Don't know where the CNN piece come in?   

What data are you basing your zinc combined with HCQ comment?  Lot more than a barracks lawyer saying just take this silver bullet and you'll be ok.  

Edited by The Zip
  • Like 1

Went out today to do some shopping. Far too many people are ignoring the mask and social distancing requirements. It's been working in NJ and PA, but if people get too relaxed then we can't get back to normal. The rate of transmission for NJ was below 1 for a while but crept back up to 1.02 recently.

Honestly, I'm tired of listening to people complain about the masks. My wife's lung efficiency is 65%, which is low because of her CF, and she wears it no problem. If masks don't work to prevent the spread of germs then why do doctors and nurses wear them? 

I wanna go back to work. I wanna be in my classroom teaching my students. But I can't do that if people keep ignoring what works. I'm also tired of people who aren't in the education system telling me how "easy and safe" it'll be. Come sit in my classroom, which has no windows and 25 students, where it's geometrically impossible to social distance 6ft. Also, try getting kids of any age to maintain social distancing. If you think teenagers follow all the rules then I've got some shocking news for you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ithan Henry said:

I'm also tired of people who aren't in the education system telling me how "easy and safe" it'll be. Come sit in my classroom, which has no windows and 25 students, where it's geometrically impossible to social distance 6ft. 

Seventy five percent of parents want kids back in school and some of the data suggest kids may be ok, but for an adult in the school system it will be survival of the fittest.  

Have not heard any conversation about the adult threshold to reopen and remain open, not just for teachers.  What about replacement of the other "essential workers" in the lunchroom, janitors, bus drivers, etc.  I work in a building with 1000 people, you let the bathroom cleaning go down for a couple of days.  You're definitely talking work at home.  

Edited by The Zip

18 minutes ago, The Zip said:

Seventy five percent of parents want kids back in school and some of the data suggest kids may be ok, but for an adult in the school system it will be survivable of the fittest.  

Have not heard any conversation about the adult threshold to reopen and remain open, not just for teachers.  What about replacement of the other "essential workers" in the lunchroom, janitors, bus drivers, etc.  I work in a building with 1000 people, you let the bathroom cleaning go down for a couple of days.  You're definitely talking work at home.  

I have an 8y/o son and I'm happy that the data shows it doesn't affect them nearly as bad. But my son isn't going to remember to social distance. He's a kid, they wanna play and interact. I'm not so much worried for him as I am for some of the older teachers and workers in his school. If they can find a way to protect vulnerable school employees then let's rock and roll. 

What I can't stand is the, "well they can choose to stay home" argument. If someone is vulnerable and stays home are they getting paid? Is their job secure? We have a right to be in a safe work environment, and anyone who tells me that 1000 students plus 100 school employees can social distance and have the premises sanitized properly clearly have never been in a public school. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ithan Henry said:

What I can't stand is the, "well they can choose to stay home" argument. If someone is vulnerable and stays home are they getting paid? Is their job secure? 

There was a lot of money thrown around a few months back, it wasn't thought out in my opinion.  I hear a second round is possible, will it be thought out.  I don't see it.  With saying that, vulnerable folks staying home and getting paid, no.  Is their job secure, no.  They'll probably be treated like the meat packers. 

Right now, America is like dust in the wind, we're all over the place. 

Edited by The Zip

14 minutes ago, The Zip said:

There was a lot of money thrown around a few months back, it wasn't thought out in my opinion.  I hear a second round is possible, will it be thought out.  I don't see it.  With saying that, vulnerable folks staying home and getting paid, no.  Is their job secure, no.  They'll probably be treated like the meat packers. 

Right now, America is like dust in the wind, we're all over the place. 

I agree that stimulus money should have gone to people out of work and to support closed businesses.  I offered it to my parents since my dad's a mechanic and he took a big paycut during the shutdown. I firmly believe we should support our most vulnerable when something like this happens. 

7 hours ago, Ithan Henry said:

Went out today to do some shopping. Far too many people are ignoring the mask and social distancing requirements.

Masks are a feel good measure, they do almost nothing in the way that people employ them.  The N95 mask filters down to .30 microns and the average size of Covid-19 is .13 microns.  What do you think surgical masks and scarves filter down to?

Yesterday we saw a woman in a Volvo pull up to a pump at the gas station and don one of those face shields over her head and of course she was wearing a cotton surgical mask.  There was nobody within 10-15 feet of her.  Then there's those who wear them in their cars while driving...  the whole world has gone mad.

Edited by swathdiver
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, The Zip said:

Everyone knows zinc is over the counter, your comment was in combination.  I'll take your word military has HCQ in their pharmacies, don't know.  For military members, my point was a military or civilian doctor is not going to prescribe HCQ for malaria to be used for covid, so no purpose in getting zinc and not use in combination as you suggest.    

Twenty three yrs active duty with over fifty times travel and living overseas, I have never been prescribed or taken HCQ.  As far as that goes, I never saw medications listed on anyone's orders.  Don't know where the CNN piece come in?   

What data are you basing your zinc combined with HCQ comment?  Lot more than a barracks lawyer saying just take this silver bullet and you'll be ok.  

Zip, I'm not being critical of you but of the Navy doctors in the context you described.

HCQ is being used to also treat arthritis and lupus.

My data comes from doctors who are using it to treat their patients and not afraid to talk about it.

Doctor Vladimir Zelenko: 

and https://www.hoover.org/research/lancets-covid-fiasco

Doctor Daniel J. Wallace: https://www.educationviews.org/expert-lupus-doctor-says-no-covid-19-in-his-patients/ and https://detroit.cbslocal.com/2020/04/07/dr-oz-asks-rheumatologist-dr-daniel-wallace-if-any-of-his-patients-with-lupus-have-contracted-covid-19/ and 

Doctor Brian C. Procter: https://www.bitchute.com/video/PbZTlxaEb2oP/

Doctor Scott W. Atlas: https://www.hoover.org/profiles/scott-w-atlas

In addition to the above, I have watched dozens of testimonials from the patients themselves many of which were on the news but can be found on youtube.  The video with Zelenko is one of his latest and in it he mentions using other drugs to treat the Wuhan Flu because politics is making it hard for many to gain access to HCQ.  I was listening while preparing this post for you, I think he may have mentioned another over-the-counter medicine to work with zinc to kill the virus which would be great for your son.

Prayers for you and yours, hope he gets well soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The school problem can be solved with split sessions to lower the people in class. You could even cut out some classes temporarily deemed non essential to shorten the day. Convert the lunch room, library, gym to class rooms. Hirer younger people as hall monitors put shields up for teachers or use face shields. I’m very conservative and agree with everyone wear a mask . People with health issues stay home. Kids need structure. Being forced to stay home isn’t healthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

44 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

The school problem can be solved with split sessions to lower the people in class. You could even cut out some classes temporarily deemed non essential to shorten the day. Convert the lunch room, library, gym to class rooms. Hirer younger people as hall monitors put shields up for teachers or use face shields. I’m very conservative and agree with everyone wear a mask . People with health issues stay home. Kids need structure. Being forced to stay home isn’t healthy.

If you do split sessions then you still need to do online learning which means improving the infrastructure for that. Every student will need access to the internet along with a computer. We used Google classroom as our online platform, which means training teachers, students, and parents on how to use it. Now we need a method to ensure that there isn't cheating occurring with the online learning and a method to keep attendance since this is a requirement. Since it's split session, the teachers will still have classes in person to teach so who will assist the students with any questions about the online assignments? For younger children, who will watch them when they're not at school? For many families, schooling provides them the time to work. Schools also provide 2 meals for many students so we now need to set up times for them to get any missed meals. 

All extra curricular activities, including sports, would need to be canceled. Just research the benefits these provide children, plenty of data on that. 

Now we get to converting the gym, library and cafeteria to classrooms. Gonna need temporary barriers to create classrooms, desks, boards, proper lighting now that we've sectioned off makeshift classrooms, and some others I'm forgetting. Gonna need new plans for evacuations and safety. 

The funding and training needed to do this properly will be extremely high. I don't see this happening. Oh, and what I listed is incomplete, I know I missed more than a few things. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, swathdiver said:

Masks are a feel good measure, they do almost nothing in the way that people employ them.  The N95 mask filters down to .30 microns and the average size of Covid-19 is .13 microns.  What do you think surgical masks and scarves filter down to?

Yesterday we saw a woman in a Volvo pull up to a pump at the gas station and don one of those face shields over her head and of course she was wearing a cotton surgical mask.  There was nobody within 10-15 feet of her.  Then there's those who wear them in their cars while driving...  the whole world has gone mad.

Yeah, I still don't get the car thing. Are they protecting themselves from themselves? I'd guesstimate that 50% of people are either too extreme with wearing them in cars etc, or too lenient with how and when they wear them. Doesn't help if it doesn't cover the nose. 

• Like 1

If you do split sessions then you still need to do online learning which means improving the infrastructure for that. Every student will need access to the internet along with a computer. We used Google classroom as our online platform, which means training teachers, students, and parents on how to use it. Now we need a method to ensure that there isn't cheating occurring with the online learning and a method to keep attendance since this is a requirement. Since it's split session, the teachers will still have classes in person to teach so who will assist the students with any questions about the online assignments? For younger children, who will watch them when they're not at school? For many families, schooling provides them the time to work. Schools also provide 2 meals for many students so we now need to set up times for them to get any missed meals. 

All extra curricular activities, including sports, would need to be canceled. Just research the benefits these provide children, plenty of data on that. 

Now we get to converting the gym, library and cafeteria to classrooms. Gonna need temporary barriers to create classrooms, desks, boards, proper lighting now that we've sectioned off makeshift classrooms, and some others I'm forgetting. Gonna need new plans for evacuations and safety. 

The funding and training needed to do this properly will be extremely high. I don't see this happening. Oh, and what I listed is incomplete, I know I missed more than a few things. 

My school did split sessions in the seventies. It was no problem. Sick kids had work sent home to them there weren’t computers. School provided lunches for kid who’s parents were too (busy) to make them. It was looked at then as waste to most people who brown bagged it. I haven’t seen mass deaths from kids since school let out from lack of food. Ifs there’s any can do people left it can be done. Excuses are easy, production takes a little work. There’s a way. Hiding at home produces cowards. I came from a can do generation of movers and shakers. I watch the news in disbelief.

5 hours ago, swathdiver said:

Masks are a feel good measure, they do almost nothing in the way that people employ them. 

I am not an expert in the transmission of this disease and I know theories abound.  I also am entertained by how masks are used sometimes but I give credit to all for trying.  The greatest value for me is that a mask indicates the person is aware and making an effort.  Our 6'oclock news showed the president of the US finally wearing a mask yesterday which I suspect will bring more stragglers on board.  I seriously believe that anyone still minimizing the impact of this virus  is exceptionally uninformed or....        Some use inconsistencies, big or small, as an excuse from doing what they can to minimize the spread.  We need to look at the big picture and unite in our efforts.  I worked in the public school system for 35 years and can't believe sending all kids back to school is seen as a good idea with this virus so out of control. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KARNUT said:

My school did split sessions in the seventies. It was no problem. Sick kids had work sent home to them there weren’t computers. School provided lunches for kid who’s parents were too (busy) to make them. It was looked at then as waste to most people who brown bagged it. I haven’t seen mass deaths from kids since school let out from lack of food. Ifs there’s any can do people left it can be done. Excuses are easy, production takes a little work. There’s a way. Hiding at home produces cowards. I came from a can do generation of movers and shakers. I watch the news in disbelief.

Was your school already set up for a split session? I'm not making excuses, I'm explaining what it's going to take. And 40+ years later things have changed in schools so it's a bit more complicated which is what I'm trying to portray. 

Wanna know why teachers are skeptical? Because for a good majority of us we provide classroom supplies and fix equipment when it breaks. I've got a tool box in school that gets more use than the one in my garage. And when we try to explain what we'll need to do the job, we suddenly get millions of "experts" who can fix it. People should go and spend a day in a school to see just how much things have changed. 

• Like 1