Active Shutters Missing Fin?

I was under the hood last night installing my illuminated emblem and I noticed that on the passenger side at the top of the shutters there's one missing. It appears there should be one there but not sure if it's not there for a reason or it just got missed at the factory. Anyone else have this or just myself? I have the 3.0 duramax if it makes a diffence. Thanks! 

IMG_20200305_155324.jpg

18 hours ago, Thomcat said:

My V8 has fins all the way to the top, both sides.

Guess ill be headed to the dealer, thanks!

4 hours ago, 2016 Sierra Owner said:

I wouldn't worry about it. That 1 fin missing is not going to change things one way or another. It's not like your gonna gain 1mpg by getting them to replace it.

Just sucks knowing something is missing on a brand new vehicle thats all. Also with the diesel it takes a while to get to temp so if its supposed to be there id like to have it as itll help get to operating temps. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Chrisd534 said:

Guess ill be headed to the dealer, thanks!

Just sucks knowing something is missing on a brand new vehicle thats all. Also with the diesel it takes a while to get to temp so if its supposed to be there id like to have it as itll help get to operating temps. 

We still haven't heard from anyone that has a 3.0 with that fin in place. 

Seems like MIA is more likely, but it could be part of cooling system differences for that engine. 

Let us know what you learn!

1 minute ago, redwngr said:

We still haven't heard from anyone that has a 3.0 with that fin in place. 

Seems like MIA is more likely, but it could be part of cooling system differences for that engine. 

Let us know what you learn!

Will do! Hopefully someone with the 3.0 can chime in as well!

My 3.0 doesn't have that fin either. Looked at another 3.0 on dealers lot and it doesn't have it either. I wouldn't get too concerned about it as I think they come from factory that way.

• Like 1

On 3/6/2020 at 12:16 PM, Chrisd534 said:

I was under the hood last night installing my illuminated emblem and I noticed that on the passenger side at the top of the shutters there's one missing. It appears there should be one there but not sure if it's not there for a reason or it just got missed at the factory. Anyone else have this or just myself? I have the 3.0 duramax if it makes a diffence. Thanks! 

IMG_20200305_155324.jpg

Same as others found. Just quickly looked at mine without taking anything apart, there is a space at the top on the passenger side. 

If all the 3.0s are like that it is for a reason. Might be a component that needs that gap at high speeds when the shutters close for cooling or air flow. I wouldn't worry, probably normal

11 hours ago, AlaskaErik said:

Which engines have shutters?  I don't see any on my 2019 LTZ with the 6.2L

Thought they all had shutters to shape the truck like an aerodynamic brick at high speeds. Have to look carefully through the front grille to see them edgewise; they are open when vehicle is stopped.

2 minutes ago, Thomcat said:

Thought they all had shutters to shape the truck like an aerodynamic brick at high speeds. Have to look carefully through the front grille to see them edgewise; they are open when vehicle is stopped.

I've looked very carefully and there is nothing but a big empty void between my grill and the radiator.

1 hour ago, Thomcat said:

No shutters here.