drive shaft questions

Good Evening,

I'm looking to upgrade my driveshaft. i have a Whipple going in in the next few weeks and would like the piece of mind of an upgraded shaft. I plan on taking it to a dyno and would like t ogo over 100 if i so desire (track of course).I've read recommendations for performance drivelines 2 piece shaft. I'm curious what everybody else recommends. would like to have something that can handle high horsepower. anybody favor the 2 piece over a single piece? truck is a 4wd and is slightly lowered (3 inches rear 1 inch forward) any and all information is appreciated!

31 minutes ago, simonsd0708 said:

Good Evening,

I'm looking to upgrade my driveshaft. i have a Whipple going in in the next few weeks and would like the piece of mind of an upgraded shaft. I plan on taking it to a dyno and would like t ogo over 100 if i so desire (track of course).I've read recommendations for performance drivelines 2 piece shaft. I'm curious what everybody else recommends. would like to have something that can handle high horsepower. anybody favor the 2 piece over a single piece? truck is a 4wd and is slightly lowered (3 inches rear 1 inch forward) any and all information is appreciated!

If your output will remain below 600 horses and you don't plan on exceeding 100 mph, such is really not necessary.  Find out your driveshafts critical speed and go from there if you want the ability to exceed the critical speed or will be regularly making full power runs.  Consider going to a larger u-joint too.  

A one piece steel drive shaft should be a good upgrade. I think most guys are running like a 3.5in steel shaft.

Or some go with a 5in aluminum driveshaft that will handle the high speed.

• Like 1

since your blowing money like a drunkin sailor... I say fuk it go full Carbon fiber driveshaft!!

def. traction bars if its S/C, pinon angle is critical for long term durability and keeping the tires planted from axle wrapping and bouncing under power

Edited by flyingfool

1 hour ago, Jaychevy81 said:

Also look into traction bars I put them on my 18 it’s boosted what a diff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What did you use?

Pics?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2020 at 8:49 PM, flyingfool said:

since your blowing money like a drunkin sailor... I say fuk it go full Carbon fiber driveshaft!!

def. traction bars if its S/C, pinon angle is critical for long term durability and keeping the tires planted from axle wrapping and bouncing under power

arent carbon shafts limited to 65" ?

called QA1 for a custom shaft

they confirmed... they cant make longer than 65" for CF  :(

yup , i cant get a CF one for my burb, as mine is:  65.53 (for shaft length)[weld to weld looking at the stock one]

so looking at other options now

also wondering if i can just get a longer tail shaft made to make up the difference

On 3/19/2020 at 12:28 AM, gat0r said:

called QA1 for a custom shaft

they confirmed... they cant make longer than 65" for CF  :(

yup , i cant get a CF one for my burb, as mine is:  65.53 (for shaft length)[weld to weld looking at the stock one]

so looking at other options now

also wondering if i can just get a longer tail shaft made to make up the difference

bummer ...does QA1 make a 5 inch carbon shafts?

sounds like your stuck with a 2 piece options, otherwise install a cage loop incase the innevitable happens and go with a 5" or bigger steel shaft and hope for the best

Edited by flyingfool

no they dont.
they only make up to 3.5" for CF driveshafts.

but the 1310 ujoint build supports like 1200hp
& 1350 ujoint build supports up to 2000hp

given mine is 1355, it is effectively a 1350 (just 0.003 smaller cap to cap diameter)

i have seen some others online go w/ a 5" aluminum shaft, but seems kind of tight in pics.

i need to get under mine to get a better perspective on how much room is avail.
& yes i will have a buddy make a driveshaft loop, since i cant find one already being made for my ride